Looking for a little guidance...

spree

Established Member
BLK_03 said:
All you can do is try it. Try the Optimum on the black pad only and see if it gets what you want. If not, use the white pad first. Then the VMHG and whatever carnuba... It's a golden combo for black, I'm tellin' ya.

Here's another tip for ya...ditch Vanilla Moose for Clearkote's Red Moose Machine Glaze or for Poorboy's Polish with Carnauba Blue. Either of those products will darken up the paint and make your black look even more menacing.

And the best bang for your buck carnauba that I've found for black is Poorboy's Natty's Blue. It gives Souveran a run for its money and it's way way cheaper.

BLK_03

Established Member
spree said:
Here's another tip for ya...ditch Vanilla Moose for Clearkote's Red Moose Machine Glaze or for Poorboy's Polish with Carnauba Blue. Either of those products will darken up the paint and make your black look even more menacing.

And the best bang for your buck carnauba that I've found for black is Poorboy's Natty's Blue. It gives Souveran a run for its money and it's way way cheaper.

Man, I tried the Red Machine Glaze and went back to the vanilla moose. The RMG just didn't impress me. It seemed harder to remove than the vanilla moose. Plus the newest concoction of VMHG smells soooooo good.

You think the Natty's Blue is better than S100?

trance_in_miami

Established Member
BLK_03 said:
Man, I tried the Red Machine Glaze and went back to the vanilla moose. The RMG just didn't impress me. It seemed harder to remove than the vanilla moose. Plus the newest concoction of VMHG smells soooooo good.

after using VM & RMG on 9 cars. I find VM & RMG easy as hell to remove. You might have been adding it to thick.

spree

Established Member
BLK_03 said:

Hmm...it shouldn't be harder to remove. They're both about the same in terms of ease of use.

Yeah, Natty's Blue is definitely better than S100 on black.

BLK_03

Established Member
spree said:
Yeah, Natty's Blue is definitely better than S100 on black.

Crap. Looks like I have more stuff to order...

Is it you that experimented with the pink moose I was reading on Autopia? I have some Vanilla and RMG. Think it would be worth it to mix them together?

spree

Established Member
BLK_03 said:
Crap. Looks like I have more stuff to order...

Is it you that experimented with the pink moose I was reading on Autopia? I have some Vanilla and RMG. Think it would be worth it to mix them together?

nope...wasn't me.

Scott P

Established Member
Allow me to kick in some reviews/experiences with the products that have been mentioned in this thread. I actually do give the stuff a try before I sell it just so I can have some sort of personal experience with it. I’m not a pro detailer, but I think I can hold my own.

Optimum Polish – I liked this product when I first used it last March. It has become my favorite polish for most jobs. It works well enough with the PC, but a rotary polisher really makes it nice. Its best feature is its long working time. This long work time is due to a combination of the diminishing abrasives and the polishing oils. These oils function as “carrier” oils and do not just fill in swirls. The long working time allows you to really work a surface without fear of the polish drying out. It also benefits the rotary user as the oils provide a safety margin against burning the paint. The drawback is that it does take longer for Optimum Polish to break down when using a PC. If you are the impatient sort, then, you might not like the product.

When using OP, I tend to do it in two steps. I’ll first hit the panel with the polish and an orange light cutting pad. Because OP will cut based on the pad used, this is usually sufficient to remove most swirls and paint defects. For anything heavier, I would step up to Optimum Compound and a rotary. Once I think the OP/orange pad combo has been worked, I follow right up with OP and a white polishing pad. This removes and hazing from the orange pad and gives a nice polish and finish. I then move onto the next panel and repeat the process. I can make one trip around the vehicle with two pads and one bottle of polish to get the swirls/oxidation and other defects out of the paint.

Poorboy’s SSR Series - I feel the SSR series are best worked by hand or PC. They break down quickly and are very effective. SSR3 is wicked abrasive and is probably the exception to that rule. It works very well with a rotary. It can be used with a PC, but I wouldn’t use anything stronger than a white polishing pad. SSR2.5 is probably the one that I reach for most. It is strong enough to take out the majority of defects. SSR2.5 and an Orange light cutting pad works great to remove most problems. There will most likely be hazing from that combination. I follow up with SSR2.5 on a white polishing pad to remove that. A final pass with SSR1 and a white polishing pad gives the finish a nice final polish and extra clarity. SSR2 is a bit weaker than SSR2.5, but it works very well by hand to remove swirls. You can use SSR2 with a polishing pad or even a light cutting pad to remove defects that don’t call for SSR2.5.

The drawbacks to eh SSR series is that they tend to dust a bit as they work. It is this dusting that lets you know it’s time to buff and check you results. The SSR series is more geared to the PC than Optimum Polish. They break down quicker and give great results. They also leave the finish squeaky clean and ready for your choice of topping products.

Clearkote Red Machine Glaze - I do find RMG a tad bit tougher to use than Vanilla Moose. It does have a small learning curve to it. I think it applies best with a soft finishing/glazing pad like Lake Country’s Blue Final Finishing pad. I apply a small amount (about three dime sized drops space don the pad) and work the PC at speed 4. It should take just a few passes and then you should see the RMG just about disappear into the paint. A that point, you can know to buff it off. Once the pad is “pried”, you’ll find yourself using a bit less product on subsequent panels. The RMG really does make blacks “blacker”. It’s tough to explain, but the difference is quite visible. I like to top my black cars with either Carnauba Moose Wax or Natty’s Blue Paste Wax.

Wow, that turned out longer than I thought it would…

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Damn! Detailing has become worse than modding your car. It changes so quickly! I have a shelf full of PB/Clearkote stuff..and it seems I need to go get Optimum stuff now..and some other Clearkote/PB stuff that I did not get the first time around! Jeez..I can not keep up!

Any suggestions for a 04 Screaming yellow Cobra? I really don't have bad scratches..just light ones...not felt when you rub your fingers over the paint. More or less just seen by the eyes. My guuess is they are just the faint scratches or some what spiderwebbing in the clear coat.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
Cobra330 said:
Damn! Detailing has become worse than modding your car. It changes so quickly! I have a shelf full of PB/Clearkote stuff..and it seems I need to go get Optimum stuff now..and some other Clearkote/PB stuff that I did not get the first time around! Jeez..I can not keep up!

Any suggestions for a 04 Screaming yellow Cobra? I really don't have bad scratches..just light ones...not felt when you rub your fingers over the paint. More or less just seen by the eyes. My guuess is they are just the faint scratches or some what spiderwebbing in the clear coat.

Yeah i did Buy optimum because i had read hundreads of threads about it. on a side note: Im still debatig on wether buying OCW or UPPS 4*. But i think OCW will be my best choice.

Also Pink Moose I think is a pretty peculiar idea :idea: I really dont see the benefit of mixing both of them. that would be like mixing Natty's Blue VS. Original natty's

spree

Established Member
Cobra330 said:

that's how you end up with this...

img_01891.jpg

it's ****ing addicting...

Scott P

Established Member
Spree...That's it? I thought you said you had a big collection? :)

Here's a current pic of my supplies. It's been reduced a bit as I'm on a continuing quest to thin out the stuff I don't use as much.

selection.jpg

Last edited:

spree

Established Member
Scott P said:
Spree...That's it? I thought you said you had a big collection? :)

That pic is very deceiving...if you look closely, you'll see the tips of bottles way in the back. That damn shelf will go about 8-10 bottles deep :p

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Yeah I got the same problem with my shelfs at the house! Dammit!

So...seriously...I have asked this before but, anyone out there have suggestions for the latest and greatest for slight swirls, polish and wax for Screaming Yellow? I may as well find out now..and go ahead and think about ordering!

No crap it's addicting! I can't keep up with cleaning stuff or modding stuff now! Anybody want to buy a kidney??????

BLK_03

Established Member
Cobra330 said:
Yeah I got the same problem with my shelfs at the house! Dammit!

So...seriously...I have asked this before but, anyone out there have suggestions for the latest and greatest for slight swirls, polish and wax for Screaming Yellow? I may as well find out now..and go ahead and think about ordering!

No crap it's addicting! I can't keep up with cleaning stuff or modding stuff now! Anybody want to buy a kidney??????

Based on my experiences, I'd say Optimum Polish on a white Lake Country Pad. Go slow, take your time, and it'll look great. Toppers beyond that I have no idea for yellow.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
I need a fancy shelf. :whine:

IMG]

:-D got over 250$ worth of items from autogeek on the way :p

I have made a choice in my life that detailing is what i live for............................................

:D J/K but seriously this is addicting. :sleeping:

trance_in_miami

Established Member
it first starts out like.. hey i like the name pooroby's. Then you read more & say hey i like the name optimum.,.....then hey I think ill try Vanilla moose....then you say to yourself...Hmmm... Hmmmm.. I think I'll go for the gallon. .. You then cant take advantage of the Autogeek/SMP specials & your good to go. :read: Im glad that everything i have I actually use & dont let collect dirt. :coolman: i think that by now i have spent over 1,500 Dollars & not including the Autozone stuff. :whine: :D

Users who are viewing this thread