Looking for a 427 block where would i go?

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
RDJ said:
Why not just get a BOSS302 block and stroke it to 355? Plenty of power for your car and you shouldn't have to modify the shock towers to take it.

Edited to add: Hadn't gotten to Dusten's post ..he is spot on. The new BOSS302 block is 1600 bucks and can be stroked to 347 or 355 and still be very strong.
im likeing this idea a lot! Thanks bro

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
The 427 in a 351W is not new. If you are building that motor, the Dart block offers a lot more meat

http://www.dartheads.com/fordiron.aspx

For the 66, I'd go the way of the FE motor, but with a newer block. Keith Craft is the man when it comes to these. I have 2 freinds with the Genesis blocks made by Keith, cranking 685hp at the flywheel, no power adder on pump gas. These are noramlly stocked and bored motors, but under 500 ci's. Picture that HP in a car weighing 2600lbs (and a 90" wheelbase:rockon: )

http://www.genesis427.com/index.htm

http://www.keithcraft.com/

Eric

pokerpoison

Established Member
If I remember right Dyno Don Nichols used to run a 427 powered '65 Fastback back in the day. I do remember they had to do some serious bay work to fit the motor in it, and it just barely fit after they were finished. I do believe this included fabing new shock towers. Hell of a fast car though !

Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
pokerpoison said:
If I remember right Dyno Don Nichols used to run a 427 powered '65 Fastback back in the day. I do remember they had to do some serious bay work to fit the motor in it, and it just barely fit after they were finished. I do believe this included fabing new shock towers. Hell of a fast car though !
You need to see how much 65 mustang was left of that. Had a solid front axle didn't it??

pokerpoison

Established Member
99cobrablack said:
You need to see how much 65 mustang was left of that. Had a solid front axle didn't it??

I honestly don't remember exactly what they did to that car. It was on the cover of Mustang Monthly a lot of years ago (10+?), and I read the article that went with it. All I remember was they did a lot of extensive work to it. Afterwards they barely shoehorned the side oiler 427 into it. It was still a bad ass car though. I remember drooling over it and wanting to take up that project until I saw the pricetag on a 427SE (10k+ :uh oh: )

I did however drop a 351W into the bay of a '66. That also was a tight fit. Shorty headers helped of course but god help you when you had to change the spark plugs.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
What about the guy on here that did the SN65 project. He put an 03 Cobra motor in a 65 body. That's not the most narrow motor I've ever seen. He posted here a lot, I'm sure he'd know what it would take to fit X or Y into the bay of one of these cars.

Users who are viewing this thread