Looking for a 427 block where would i go?

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
Reason being my dad and I are possibly thinking about pulling the 289 out of our 66' stang and go with a 427 build. I figure if i can find an old 427 block we will have our machinest take it apart clean it up new goodies inside and throw it into the car. Should work with our setup, we are going with new clutch/flywheel, Rearend setup with Eaton Posi setup, ect ect. Need some ideas though.

Dusten

Established Member
Last edited:

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
i wasnt sure what we could fit or not. What would fit in the stock location but still bring more power? Dad wants to stay 289 block but i want big power what are some options?

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
GreyAsp said:
.060 over on a Windsor? Scary. :eek:
I wouldn't be afraid of .60 over on a windsor personally, if it was a cleveland .30 would be scary of hitting water. I've heard of aftermarket windsor blocks capable of 480 cubes, but haven't head of them in a street car. Not sure if they are dry blocks or what the deal is because I have yet to deal with one in person.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Smokey1226 said:
i wasnt sure what we could fit or not. What would fit in the stock location but still bring more power? Dad wants to stay 289 block but i want big power what are some options?
They opened everything up for the 427/428's in 67 but you depending on the jounrey of your project a mustang II front-end would enable clearance of a 460, or hell a 3408 cat under the hood and bring rack and pinion into play if you don't have power-steering now. If you want big inch power there are plenty of variations of getting there.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Try dscmotorsports.com (it's some iteration of that - may be dcsmotorsports.com, or dscmotorsport.com or dcsmotorsport). It's been awhile since I've looked into them, but I was talking to the a long time ago when I was rebuilding my 351 Cleveland. They scour other places and can locate a lot of blocks.

Neverlift

scotchy scotch scotch
Established Member
You wanna do something unique, use a 460 block and de-stroke it.

Use stock bore and 3.53 stroke and that should give you 427ci.

Just a thought..

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
well im not set on a 427, that was just an idea because it would be neat to have a cobra jet sitting under the hood when we opened it. But basically anything around 350ci would be nice for a little car like ours. but i need ideas on what route we should go?

GodStang

Established Member
Put a 460 in it. We were given one not too long ago and when I am done with this project I will be putting it into a 68-70 mustang.

Dusten

Established Member
He doesnt need a damn big block to motivate a little car like a 66 stang. Take a 302 block, stick a 347 rotating assy in with some good heads. Top it off with a nice intake and carb, and either a 4 speed or a well built C4 and call it a day. The car will be a load of fun to drive, spin the tires at will and still do decent on fuel.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Smokey1226 said:

Why not just get a BOSS302 block and stroke it to 355? Plenty of power for your car and you shouldn't have to modify the shock towers to take it.

Edited to add: Hadn't gotten to Dusten's post ..he is spot on. The new BOSS302 block is 1600 bucks and can be stroked to 347 or 355 and still be very strong.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread