Looking at new trucks comparable to the L

frogsdime

Established Member
SO I am looking to get a new truck. It gonna be RCSB 4x4. Was wondering if yall had any input on which one i should go with.

I am looking for one that has good power and not such a dog. I love my L and the power but also like to have 4x4 and be able to tow more.

What you think?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Except for the 4x4 thing I'd suggest a Dodge Ram R/T. I'm not sure if those can be had in 4x4 though. If you aren't stuck on the reg cab part a 6.2 Raptor will be plenty sporty, but it's def not a tow monster.

frogsdime

Established Member
yea been looking at the Dodge and Toyota RCSB hard bc the available v8 and tow capaabilites they have. Ford and Chevy come up short in the RC area.

The Raptor would be fun but not practical for me as I need to haul the bike around.

Anybody have a Tundra or Dodge? Complaints

flashlight

Established Member
My brother has a 05 dodge full size. With the little 4.7 in it. It tows great. Ive raced him with my silverado that has a 4.8 in it. He will put a car length between us on the take off ,but I run him down after a while. I might would catch him in the 1/4 but he would still be ahead in the 1/8. It tows much better. The 5 speed auto helps.

01whiteL

Established Member
i recently picked up a 2010 dodge crew cab sport..... tows amazingly well and the ride is fantastic. All around the truck is just a beast and bone stock on factory tires full weight running 9.20-9.30's in the 1/8th isn't bad either.

Jroc

Established Member
You need a diesel.

Trust me you buy a fairly modern diesel, throw a programmer, and a banks intake or something like that on it, and it will run very strong.(My uncles 2009 Silverado Z71 crew with those mods runs like a 14.2) A 3/4 ton truck will tow much, much better than a half ton truck also, their very reliable, and diesels will get you into the 24-26 mpg range.

01whiteL

Established Member
You need a diesel.

Trust me you buy a fairly modern diesel, throw a programmer, and a banks intake or something like that on it, and it will run very strong.(My uncles 2009 Silverado Z71 crew with those mods runs like a 14.2) A 3/4 ton truck will tow much, much better than a half ton truck also, their very reliable, and diesels will get you into the 24-26 mpg range.

Have to agree..... well worth the extra $.

frogsdime

Established Member
yea no really lookin at the diesels.... besides want to stay in a RC But I do agree there is alot of potential in the diesels

The bike I am hauling is a 09 Sportsman 850 4x4 quad. Only weighs 1k but I am more refering about towing bigger stuff like a camper and all when I use the quad the most.

The Tundra is a nice truck and very powerful for RCSB and so is the Sport RCSB Dodge with the hemi.... The other 2 ford and chevy are dogs in that dept. I am going to test drive all of them to narrow it down.

Any advice on buying one

frogsdime

Established Member
How bout the aftermarket for these 4 trucks what are they like? I am definitely going to have to make anything I buy faster..... the bug always gets me

01whiteL

Established Member
Love my truck.... and I was looking at r/t's when I decided the extra room would be a huge + and what I originally intended on getting when I sold the L. Just wanted quiet, and more room.

the r/t and the single cab tundra are both very quick.... everyone (depending on which brand they prefer) will tell you ones faster then the other. Your needing a 4x4 though, both toyota and dodge have great deals. One plus is the hemi has MDS, and the single cab r/t trucks(4:10 gears even..) pull over 22+mpg on the highway. Go take a look at both, drive both and see what you prefer. I did more test drives between the two trying to decide...

Keep in mind though... the dodge's have a throttle limiter(and huge electronic nannys) until 30mph, and still outrun or run side by side with the tundras. There are already programmers out to help this and when they do finally eliminate it the trucks are going to get ALOT faster. If you do get a dodge, make sure you get the 3:92 lsd.

Last edited:

frogsdime

Established Member
Love my truck.... and I was looking at r/t's when I decided the extra room would be a huge + and what I originally intended on getting when I sold the L. Just wanted quiet, and more room.

the r/t and the single cab tundra are both very quick.... everyone (depending on which brand they prefer) will tell you ones faster then the other. Your needing a 4x4 though, both toyota and dodge have great deals. One plus is the hemi has MDS, and the single cab r/t trucks(4:10 gears even..) pull over 22+mpg on the highway. Go take a look at both, drive both and see what you prefer. I did more test drives between the two trying to decide...

Keep in mind though... the dodge's have a throttle limiter(and huge electronic nannys) until 30mph, and still outrun or run side by side with the tundras. There are already programmers out to help this and when they do finally eliminate it the trucks are going to get ALOT faster. If you do get a dodge, make sure you get the 3:92 lsd.

Now thats the advice I need right there. Very practical and great advice thx. I am definitely going to drive both thats for sure. Why do you say I need the 3:92 LSD though?

01whiteL

Established Member
Now thats the advice I need right there. Very practical and great advice thx. I am definitely going to drive both thats for sure. Why do you say I need the 3:92 LSD though?

The 3:23 and 3:55 ratio's are one wheel peel... 3:92 and 4:10s are factory LSD and you will not have that issue ever. Don't worry about the gas mileage of the 3:23/3:55 vs 3:92 either or even the 4:10's in the r/t. Just one mistake I made by not doing my homework, and is now costing a pretty penny to have a factory 3:92 LSD installed allowing me to keep the warranty.

The dodge's are great trucks, I have a few friends with tundra's(08'+) and all of them prefer the ride/comfort of my truck and the power it puts out even with all the nannys. Just jumping in one of the tundras with 4:30 gears will make the dodge (seat of the pants power) feel a tad slow. Line them up though and it shows that its just smoother power. They jump me out of the hole(none are the full 4 door trucks) and by the time the truck hits 2nd I'm already around them.

Little advice when test driving the dodge, hold the traction control button down and slow count to 5. Best way to really judge the power is by doing that along with turning tow/haul off and manually putting the truck in 1st and punching it from a 30 roll.

Sorry for the long ass post, any other questions you might have feel free to shoot me a PM.

Dusten

Established Member
You need a diesel.

that mileage is a pipe dream, even the venerable 5.9 cummins can't hit that. And a new diesel with its emissions is lucky to hit 18-19 now.

Jroc

Established Member
that mileage is a pipe dream, even the venerable 5.9 cummins can't hit that. And a new diesel with its emissions is lucky to hit 18-19 now.

I do not agree. Yeah 26 MPG is probably kind of pushing it, but diesels are defanently noticably more efficient at the MPG than a 1/2 ton truck with a gas motor. Especially in a 2x4 regular car configuration I would assume which is what the OP claims to want in a new truck.

One of two things. Either your Powerstroke needs mantainance, or either all of the many people I know currently with diesel trucks include my father who's owned 2, several cousins, atleast one uncle I can think of, and two people I work with every weekday are lying to me. I'm sure I haven't asked all of them the MPG they're getting, but I've talked about it with several of them. From what I've seen riding, and taking trips in diesels they are no dout quite a bit better on the MPG than a half ton v8 truck, and I bet my L is getting 16-17 MPG just riding around in its overdrive at 60 or 70 MPH.

A guy I work with has a 97 Powerstroke,(along with the old Cummings the old 7.3 were also a get diesel motor) and he swears up and down that it gets 26 MPG on the highway. Its his DD instead of his inline 4 Tacoma because it gets better MPG according to him. Its a 2x4 but still.

My uncle has a 09 2500 Z71 crew, and he claims to be in the 24-26 MPG range, as he was in his old 07 2500 Z71 crew.

From my understanding diesel burn most their fuel on start up.(unless you take a long trip or something, but you know what I'm trying to get at)

I'll have to ask my dad what kind of MPG he gets out of his 2001 Ram 3500 4x4, but I do know its quite a bit better than his 97 F150 from what he's told me.

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I do not agree. Yeah 26 MPG is probably kind of pushing it, but diesels are defanently noticably more efficient at the MPG than a 1/2 ton truck with a gas motor. Especially in a 2x4 regular car configuration I would assume which is what the OP claims to want in a new truck.

One of two things. Either your Powerstroke needs mantainance, or either all of the many people I know currently with diesel trucks include my father who's owned 2, several cousins, atleast one uncle I can think of, and two people I work with every weekday are lying to me. I'm sure I haven't asked all of them the MPG they're getting, but I've talked about it with several of them. From what I've seen riding, and taking trips in diesels they are no dout quite a bit better on the MPG than a half ton v8 truck, and I bet my L is getting 16-17 MPG just riding around in its overdrive at 60 or 70 MPH.

A guy I work with has a 97 Powerstroke,(along with the old Cummings the old 7.3 were also a get diesel motor) and he swears up and down that it gets 26 MPG on the highway. Its his DD instead of his inline 4 Tacoma because it gets better MPG according to him. Its a 2x4 but still.

My uncle has a 09 2500 Z71 crew, and he claims to be in the 24-26 MPG range, as he was in his old 07 2500 Z71 crew.

From my understanding diesel burn most their fuel on start up.(unless you take a long trip or something, but you know what I'm trying to get at)

I'll have to ask my dad what kind of MPG he gets out of his 2001 Ram 3500 4x4, but I do know its quite a bit better than his 97 F150 from what he's told me.

They're lying to you...either that or you're lying. My '95 PSD Superduty gets about an average of 13-14 mpg. If I'm pulling a trailer [on the highway no less] I get about 10 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread