Looking at Mickey Thompson Street Comp vs. Nitto NT05 tires need opinions

marcoc

Established Member
I need to replace my Nittos NT05 tires they are almost at the wear bars. My Cobra is putting down 310whp/4.10 gears, I dont do anything more than spirited street driving with occasional stop light fast take offs. I am looking at a good handling tire with good traction. I drive the car mostly during warmer months in new england but if its dry the car comes out in cold temps below 50 degrees but I drive carefully. I put less than 5k miles a year, rarely if ever drive in rain, and dont want to spend crazy money. I have limited choices due to running 315/35/17 in the rear and 275/40/17 front and want to stay under $250 a tire. My current Nittos were already some what worn when I bought the rims/tires and I ran them for 1 season and time to go. I dont want to replace tires every 5-8k miles either. I dont plan on tracking the car at all. Any opinions on ANY tire would be appreciated. Thanks.

AMWill

I need to replace my Nittos NT05 tires they are almost at the wear bars. My Cobra is putting down 310whp/4.10 gears, I dont do anything more than spirited street driving with occasional stop light fast take offs. I am looking at a good handling tire with good traction. I drive the car mostly during warmer months in new england but if its dry the car comes out in cold temps below 50 degrees but I drive carefully. I put less than 5k miles a year, rarely if ever drive in rain, and dont want to spend crazy money. I have limited choices due to running 315/35/17 in the rear and 275/40/17 front and want to stay under $250 a tire. My current Nittos were already some what worn when I bought the rims/tires and I ran them for 1 season and time to go. I dont want to replace tires every 5-8k miles either. I dont plan on tracking the car at all. Any opinions on ANY tire would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey Marcoc,

From what I am reading, I think you will love the Street Comps, especially for the price.

They are my absolute favorite tire on the cheaper side of the scale and I run them personally with no issues.

That being said, I wouldn't take them to the track and expect a 1.6 60', that's what I have my Sticky Mickeys for!

With a 315/35/17 in the rear and a 275/40/17 up front, handling and traction will not be a problem.

I daily drive my street tires with the occasional Saturday/ Sunday fun (a few 30-40 MPH rolls here and there) and have no issues or complaints at all!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will

marcoc

Established Member
Leaning towards the Nittos for the fact that all the research I find state they are nice and sticky, as far as the Mickey Thompson many say they don't hook up too well and aren't at the same level as the Nittos. Still not sure though

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Leaning towards the Nittos for the fact that all the research I find state they are nice and sticky, as far as the Mickey Thompson many say they don't hook up too well and aren't at the same level as the Nittos. Still not sure though

This statement is TOTALLY wrong^^^ Nittos SUCK!

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
neither of these tires are good in the rain, nitto will last longer, at your power level either choice will work just fine.

thumper

Established Member
I have the 315 mickeys out back and I love them. They are far from a radial, but they hook ok once they get a little heat in them.

thumper

Established Member
They handle as well as I want to push my car on the street which isn't very much. I have Team Z relocated uppers, adjustable lowers, their drag springs, and strange 10 ways. So I'm probably not the one you want to ask about handling, but they have done everything I have asked them to do.

marcoc

Established Member
Most reviews on the NT05's are pretty good. The MT UHP have ok reviews as well. I hate buying tires its such a PITA! seems like Nittos are more favored to a hardcore summer performance tire and the Mickey Thompsons are a more mild version of the Nittos. Problem I run across here is we have a short summer and many days that I drive the car are cooler around 40-50 degrees which equals poor traction. I dont take the car in the rain so rain performance isnt the issue either, if I get caught in rain I slow down and drive carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread