Looking at forging my motor... Advice, please!

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
I'm thinking about using my tax returns next spring to throw forged rods and pistons into my car, and get the valvetrain refreshed. It seems that a decent quality set of pistons, rods, and the required supporting hardware will run me about $1200, and I figure that a basic valve job will cost me about $300.

Do you guys think that I could get away with keeping this whole ordeal with labor under $3000? My intent is just to freshen up the motor, but I see no point in going with hypereucraptic guts if I don't have too since they seem to cost almost as much.

Any input on this would be GREATLY appreciated as I've never really looked into this before. :)

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Honestly, this is something you should only try an do once. A " decent quality" lower end kit and all new gaskets could easily be 2-3k. You looking another 1-1500 in assembly/dissasembly. A valve job another 500 easy, and another 1k to get the valve train done. Then you should think about water pump, oil pump and a few others while you have it all apart. You probably looking in the ballpark of 5-6k to get it done right. If you find some deals on ebay or forums, you may be able to get things for a lot cheaper but its going to take time...

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You're right, decent rods and pistons will cost about $1,200 and they'll be able to handle 7.5-8k and a small shot of nitrous. You'll probably have a total of 3k into a decent street shortblock.

As for the heads, don't skimp here as there is a lot of power to be lost in work done improperly. Make sure you have someone with lots of mod motor knowledge do them.

Wildpony

Established Member
Probably at least $6-7k to be safe & for all the little things you should do while the motor is out that add up. Like a new clutch (save $ by not overlapping) labor of pulling the already pulled tranny. Water pump, oil pump,all new cooling hoses etc. That kind of thing.
The places I checked on getting a built motor were $3500-$4k for the basice rebuild & $1500-$2000 for the R& R/ tune..

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
Guys, I'm not trying to do this for power, I just want my car to have a new motor in it. On a good day I can knock off high 12s with it, that's all I'm after.

My stock motor lasted 11 years, and I want my car to last as it is for awhile longer yet.

quadcam

i r teh ubar n00b
Established Member
quadcammer said:
whats wrong with your current motor?

Only a leaking rear main seal, that's going to be fixed here in the next couple of weeks.

As far as I know, there's nothing seriously wrong with the motor, I'm just starting to look at rebuilding it. My finances are looking good and I can do it, and if I can, I would rather do it while it's still running ok rather than when I put a rod through the block or something. I'm a fan of preventative maintenance.

na svt said:
I have a forged longblock for sale that may fit what you want/need...or it may not.

What are the specs on it? I'm looking for something between a 9.0/1 and stock compression ratio, and I'm really thinking about a stroker. Is it a teksid block? B or C heads? Thanks!

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
quadcam said:
Only a leaking rear main seal, that's going to be fixed here in the next couple of weeks.

As far as I know, there's nothing seriously wrong with the motor, I'm just starting to look at rebuilding it. My finances are looking good and I can do it, and if I can, I would rather do it while it's still running ok rather than when I put a rod through the block or something. I'm a fan of preventative maintenance. Thanks!

Dude, you have a bolt on NA cobra. You are not gonna put a rod through the block unless you mechanically over rev it by about 3000rpm (and youd probably throw a h beam at that rpm too). Worst case you get a spun rod bearing.

This is not preventative maintenance, this is spending money for no reason.

thasalvoo

quadcammer said:
Dude, you have a bolt on NA cobra. You are not gonna put a rod through the block unless you mechanically over rev it by about 3000rpm (and youd probably throw a h beam at that rpm too). Worst case you get a spun rod bearing.

This is not preventative maintenance, this is spending money for no reason.

+1 if ur not trying to make serious power...there is no need for another motor.... the internals in the stock block will last more than enough time, unless ur throwing a supercharger on it. Forged parts are not going to make ur car run better it will just have more drivetrain noise. Throw the money into some suspension mods or better yet invest it.

Users who are viewing this thread