Looking at a couple of terminators, and have some questions...

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
I am possibly going to be selling my 11 5.0 in a week or two(depending on a few things), and have been looking at some 03-04 cobras. Long story short I have found a turbo/auto car, but the owner says it will not start because it needs a new key because the transponder is dead, and needs to go back to dealer to reset the anti-theft and get new key. He claims that he was out driving one day and it made a funny beeping sound and it would not start after that. He also claims that the car has an mmr 900 short block, but no receipts because it was done by previous owner. Any way to tell on the motor? Or should I just stay away from this car? Thanks in advance for any info on things I should look for on these cars.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Good luck in the 03-04 search there fun personally I'd stay away from said car sounds like it could be a headache.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
PATS transponder would only cause an issue when starting. If the car stalled and there was a beeping then there is something else going on. Once the car starts you could actually take the head of the key and throw it in the Atlantic and drive coast to coast as long as you didn't shut the car off. I would think most owners have two keys so why not just try the other key. I don't think you can program PATS from scratch with only 1 key. You need 2.

If I was selling a car I claimed had an easy fix like that I would get it fixed so I could sell it. Have the seller get two keys programmed and then look at it once it starts, compression and road test.

SV

Last edited:

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
Could the "funny beeping" as described even exist from a 03-04 that supposedly does not have any aftermarket alarm? I've just never heard of this and wondering if this was made up or it could be legit?

Could the PATS transponder send a beeping noise?

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Unless he is almost giving the car away I wouldn't go near a highly modified car that DOES NOT RUN!
If it was easy to fix he most likely would have fixed it himself. Now, if you are super, top mechanic and would not think twice about pulling an engine and rebuilding it, re making a hot side on a turbo system, and are a wizard at really complicated electronic diagnosis and repairs then have at it.

Personally, the only used ten year old Cobra I would even be willing to think about would be a bone stock, low mileage car.
Unless you just love working on a car instead of driving it.

Zemedici

Established Member
I wouldnt buy someone else's project, if he can spend the money to turbo a factory supercharged vehicle, and also put in an automatic, he can DEFINITELY afford to get said vehicle running if it was only a transponder issue. However, I've never seen one of those go out while driving. As stated above, it only is used (to my knowledge) when the vehicle is being started: One morning you'll go out and the car wont start.

His story seems fishy, and unless you can get the car CHEAP i would stay away. Not worth the headache.

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
Ok will do. After talking to him further he got the car that way on a trade, and doesn't have any sort of receipts or anything to go with it. I am not an electronics or turbo wizard(nor do I have any close friends that are) so I will just have to keep my search to a more refined type of car.

Would any of you be scared of a 55k mile 04 cobra that just had the motor rebuilt due to what the owner says was a bad tune and it overheated? The rebuild consisted with what the owner said to be ford racing parts? Do they even make a dohc 4.6 ford racing rebuild kit?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Unless he is almost giving the car away I wouldn't go near a highly modified car that DOES NOT RUN!
If it was easy to fix he most likely would have fixed it himself. Now, if you are super, top mechanic and would not think twice about pulling an engine and rebuilding it, re making a hot side on a turbo system, and are a wizard at really complicated electronic diagnosis and repairs then have at it.

Personally, the only used ten year old Cobra I would even be willing to think about would be a bone stock, low mileage car.
Unless you just love working on a car instead of driving it.

Please follow this advice. Drew is spot on correct. Just out of curiosity, why you would be selling your '11 for a ten year old highly modified Terminator? Is your 5.0 highly modified?

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok will do. After talking to him further he got the car that way on a trade, and doesn't have any sort of receipts or anything to go with it. I am not an electronics or turbo wizard(nor do I have any close friends that are) so I will just have to keep my search to a more refined type of car.

Would any of you be scared of a 55k mile 04 cobra that just had the motor rebuilt due to what the owner says was a bad tune and it overheated? The rebuild consisted with what the owner said to be ford racing parts? Do they even make a dohc 4.6 ford racing rebuild kit?

Ya I would be scared and I would keep my money in my pocket.

Look for a clean unit that doesnt have all this drama surrounding it, like the last two listed.

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
I guess my main reason for trying to go from an 11 with no issues to a 03-04 is finances. I hate paying for something every month that just sits (I have a dd also). Don't get me wrong my current car is awesome and I love it every time I drive it, but I think I would be just as happy with a termi and a lower payment/ almost payed off. I know the old saying is "you get what you pay for" but I wouldn't mind something that needs a little work since I will not be driving it everyday.

WaffleMan

Established Member
I'd buy a 1-2 owner car with stock pulley that you know the history on. I wouldn't want to deal with someone else's project that you have no idea about

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
What about one that had the motor rebuilt at 55k because of what the owner said a bad tune caused it to get hot?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd buy a 1-2 owner car with stock pulley that you know the history on. I wouldn't want to deal with someone else's project that you have no idea about

+1. That's what I was basically looking for back when I bought mine. Low mileage and mostly stock. It kind of sucks having to throw a bunch of money at the car if you want to make it faster, as opposed to already buying one with mods. But op then you can also work on the car yourself when the money is there to start modding.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Projects are ok, its just better to buy them from someone you know/trust or a member here that has the history posted. That should at least better your chances and reduce the drama. Your still going to find things messed up though, nature of the beast.

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
The car I have found that has the rebuilt engine also has a brand new t56 because the shop that replaced the engine forgot to add trans fluid. The price is right on it, and the owner says it needs nothing now. These cars hold their value real well and for a low mileage one/two owner that only has a few mods like pulley exhaust are as high price wise as what I'm asking for my 11 brembo gt with comparable miles. Hence the reason of looking at the ones with an issue or two. I do not know anyone that owns one for sale personally and the ones on here are very nice examples, but again are asking what I'm expecting to get for my car. I may just sell mine and wait for a car like your saying with low miles and little mods in the future.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
screw it, roll the dice and pick something modded out. At least you'll have a decent start. Like you said, you have a DD......I'm a prime example of that methodology...... Iv'e owned my car for about 4 years now and maybe put 6k if that total miles on her..... not by choice

VJkDw0E.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread