Looking at a 2013 super duty

redman02

Established Member
I'm looking at getting a quad cab long box for work(concrete construction). I'm not sure if I should get the diesel or gas motor. How are the new ford diesels? I need something reliable cause I don't have time for "down time". The biggest thing I would pull is a trailer with track skid steer, with a full box of tools and tool box.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The gas motor will be more reliable, but you will give up a lot of power and mileage. The 6.7 diesel seems to be more reliable than the past Powerstroke offerings.

redman02

Established Member
Ya, I understand the mileage thing, but the diesel costs 10g more right off the start for the motor. That would put a lot of gas in the tank, so that ain't much of a factor. I test drove both motors a couple weeks ago, and the diesel was a lot better(power wise), but if reliability is an issue I would rather go with the gas. We usually trade the trucks in ever 3-4 yrs for new ones. So is the ford diesel (6.7L) as reliable as the duramax? Thanks for the help.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If you're only keeping the truck that long and aren't going to be towing all the time the diesel is def not worth it.

redman02

Established Member
Just to let you guys know....my current truck is a 07 Sierra 2500 quad cab long box with the 6.0L . I was doing some more thinking today and am leaning a bit more towards the gas. I was also thinking of getting 4.30 gears instead of the 3.73 .....maybe that will help it out a bit. Never test drove one with 4.30 , just the 3.73 . The dealer told me the 4.30 aren't very common at all.

Also the weight of the skid steer is 8800 lbs and I'm guessing the trailer is around 2000lbs and the tool box with tools would be around 400-500lbs.

Dougdanger

Established Member
the duramax is much more reliable then the new 6.7 ford diesel, first hand my best friends a mechanic for a cable company and 4 out of 5 of there new 2011 fords have blown up with under 15k miles. bone stock cab and chassis F450s, if your going to buy diesel go with the gm, if you want the ford and don't mind the gas motor, the 6.2 is a great option

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Wow I never knew all the issues with PSD :(.. That freaking sucks!!! I thought that they were the best motor besides the 7.3

redman02

Established Member
Well I ordered my truck. It's a supercrew 8' box lariat fx4 with the 6.2 and 4.30 rearend. I heard that ford up graded the brakes in '13 which is good because my gmc had way better brakes than the '12 I tested.

I also heard they are having some troubles with the 6.7L. Which is one of the reasons for going with the gasser. Hate to say it but gm is the leader in diesel, partner has had gm diesels for along time (every 4 yrs a new one) and he never has any serious problems with them.

GreggsSVT

Established Member
I don't think the new 6.7 Ford diesel has been out long enough. I have a Duramax and never had an issues.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Congrats man!! I'm hoping that when the time comes for me to get a truck that the 6.7 is proven. I thought that a lot of the issues what that they were contracted out to international, and now they are built in house.

Wildman113

Established Member
Congrats man!! I'm hoping that when the time comes for me to get a truck that the 6.7 is proven. I thought that a lot of the issues what that they were contracted out to international, and now they are built in house.

The 6.0/6.4 International motors are complete junk, they are the worst diesels out there.

The 6.7 is a brand new Ford motor, so they've had a few teething problems. Mainly exhaust valve issues, which plagued 2011 models. Haven't heard of any problems with 13's.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Good to know man thanks for the info. My Dad has a '11 and a 06 before that.. The 06 took a shit hence the '11.. Hopefully he doesn't have issues with it.

I wish that I liked the style of the Chevy's. I just can't get into it.. The Dodge's are nice but after working on my Uncles 06 I think I won't buy one.. It fried the damn wiring harness.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
The 6.0/6.4 International motors are complete junk, they are the worst diesels out there.

The 6.7 is a brand new Ford motor, so they've had a few teething problems. Mainly exhaust valve issues, which plagued 2011 models. Haven't heard of any problems with 13's.

Bulletproof a 6.0 and they are one of the best diesel motors out there....

Wildman113

Established Member
Bulletproof a 6.0 and they are one of the best diesel motors out there....

Who wants to buy a vehicle and then invest thousands of dollars into the engine just so it doesn't blow up??

A factory engine shouldn't need to be heavily modified to make it last. The 6.0 is junk, especially when compared with a Duramax, Cummins, or the new 6.7. People hate the 6.0, and for good reason. The list of problems they have is extensive.

mcallister

Established Member
I don't know where people get their info that the 6.4 and 6.7 aren't reliable. I've got a 10 6.4 with almost 70,000 miles on it and the only thing I've had to do is change the oil and fuel filters. I also know numerous people with the 6.7 and nothing but good things to say about them.

Users who are viewing this thread