Look what my Canton did on a 100 degree day

black 10th vert

Established Member
This is great to hear that a Canton Rep is on board now! I can be added to the list of those with a blown out tank as of today also!:cuss: I'm glad to hear that Canton stands behind it, but sorry to hear they don't have a polished version, as mine is show polished.:( I haven't had time to pull the tank yet, but I'm 99.99% sure that it ripped in the same place as the Op's tank from looking up underneath that appears to be the source of the coolant leak. What really sucked for me was that it was a beautiful fall day here with Temps in the high 60's-low 70's, and I had the car running for maybe 15 minutes when it let go!:rollseyes It was great fun cleaning all of the antifreeze off of the exterior, entire engine bay, and undercarriage too, instead of enjoying a nice cruise with the top down.:cuss: I will post picks up in this thread (if the op doesn't mind), once I verify that it is the weld that let go. FWIW, my car is garage queen/show car that never goes to the track, or gets hammered, so I was hoping to be the exception to this problem. Mine is fully vented, with the drain also.;-)

Brian

01yellercobra

Established Member
This happened to me as well. But I was on the freeway doing around 75mph. Things got hot in a hurry. No biggie though. A local shop welded it for a few bucks and it's been fine ever since.

Nemisish20

Established Member
LIke ive posted, ANYONE with this issue please come forward so that we can get this taken care of. I am overlooking all of the warranty repairs/replacements with these tanks.

The old design was butt welded as where the new design has an overlapping 90 and it is double welded and pressure tested to 75 psi before packaging. They are double leak tested.

If you have a tank that cracked please call me or PM me and id be more than happy to remedy this usse for you just like i did for the OP.

As to the show polished tank, I would show polish it for you but that would put an extra week onto it becuase i would have to do it as i worked on sales/tech as well.

I have all of the means and materials to do it as well.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Thanks Nick! I actually live right over the border in MA (near 6 Flags), so I could possibly do the exchange in person if you wanted.;-)

As promised, here are the pics of what happened...

this was after the tank exploded, but by the time I took the pic, it had mostly dried, so it doesn't look as bad in the pic as it was.
002-7.jpg

this is just after cleanup, so you can see the nicely polished tank. Nick, see I even have one of your power steering reservoirs as well.;-)
003-6.jpg

004-7.jpg

And last but not least...what I discovered once the tank was unbolted, and lifted a bit...
005-6.jpg

I think that last picture is pretty self-explanatory!

Brian

Last edited:

Nemisish20

Established Member
Give me a call tomorrow 203-481-9460 i will give u a hand on getting this settled.

Can i ask a silly question. That is the 77-232 power steering reservoir. What did you do to make that fit? Please explain. I have come to learn that they do not fit cobras but will bolt up to a GT how its supposed to.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Give me a call tomorrow 203-481-9460 i will give u a hand on getting this settled.

Can i ask a silly question. That is the 77-232 power steering reservoir. What did you do to make that fit? Please explain. I have come to learn that they do not fit cobras but will bolt up to a GT how its supposed to.

Will do, thanks Nick!:beer:

As for the p.s. reservoir, you are correct that it is not a straight bolt-on part. It was not a huge deal to modify the bracket for it to fit, though. I had to grind some material off of the sides of the steel bracket so that it would fit correctly inside the aluminum mount of your reservoir. The bend radius seemed to create the issue, so in order for it to sit flat on the mount, some material had to be removed. I did this a couple of years back, so I don't recall the exact amount that I removed, but it was likely 1/8" per side, so if your mounting flange was 1/4" wider, it should be a direct bolt-on. If you plan to alter the product to make the change, I would be happy to assist you in getting the dimension correct.;-)

Brian

Nemisish20

Established Member
Will do, thanks Nick!:beer:

As for the p.s. reservoir, you are correct that it is not a straight bolt-on part. It was not a huge deal to modify the bracket for it to fit, though. I had to grind some material off of the sides of the steel bracket so that it would fit correctly inside the aluminum mount of your reservoir. The bend radius seemed to create the issue, so in order for it to sit flat on the mount, some material had to be removed. I did this a couple of years back, so I don't recall the exact amount that I removed, but it was likely 1/8" per side, so if your mounting flange was 1/4" wider, it should be a direct bolt-on. If you plan to alter the product to make the change, I would be happy to assist you in getting the dimension correct.;-)

Brian

Yea, we are actually about to make a change to this. It was recently brought to my attention on a very good customer's show car and im going to rectify the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread