longtubes, how much power.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
No sense in getting LT's for a relatively stock setup. You may be better off with unequal shorties. The LT's will take a little low/mid range power away. They benefit you mostly up top where there are less restrictions exhaust-wise in the higher rpm band.

duane v

Established Member
raven69david said:
. The LT's will take a little low/mid range power away. They benefit you mostly up top where there are less restrictions exhaust-wise in the higher rpm band.
:bs: ...Longtubes amplify low and mid-range torque....DA snake boy!!!

venoNOS

BIG DOG DADDY
Established Member
get the long tubes. You wont be disapointed. I love my BBK's. When I mash the gas and hit 2nd and the rest. Its awsome. But remember when you start adding everything like pullies,cai,etc, you have to get a tune done so you bring all of these parts to there full potential. I noticed a diferance in mine with every single bolt on minus a timing adjuster and it ran awsome , But when I had it tuned on a dyno it became a beast! Until you program the computer it will think its still in stock form. :rockon:

swtmustangman

Established Member
I can't stress enought the clearance issues I have with my BBK. They fit alright, but if you do a tranny or drop it etc...you run into problems sometimes. I've gotten to were I'll never put another set of LTs on anything. It does sound wicked with a o/r h-pipe though. You'll turn heads all day long. I didn't notice any real power increase and I have a tune. Doesn't mean you will or won't. I still think my tuner sucked ass, haha. Drop the k-member if you do it. It's the easiest way.

crazycarlo

Established Member
I have a question... If u drop the k member to do it what else has to come out. Isnt the engone bolted to the k-member, so how do u hold the motor up?

white98snake

Established Member
raven69david said:
No sense in getting LT's for a relatively stock setup. You may be better off with unequal shorties. The LT's will take a little low/mid range power away. They benefit you mostly up top where there are less restrictions exhaust-wise in the higher rpm band.

HMM yea like duane v said longtubes will help with the lowend torque

97riocobra2

Established Member
It would be nice to live in a state without emissions testing, then I would already have longtubes. I'll probably end up with bassani mid-lengths, but shorties are better than nothin though!

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
97riocobra: do they put OBD2 cars on a sniffer up there? here they just hook up to the diagnostic port. no codes and have cats and you pass.

my friends modified turbo car with bigger turbo, huge injectors, no cat and way rich passed a sniffer test.

ogc

Established Member
with full exhaust and a tune my car put down 292whp. So that says something for Long tubes.

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
duane v said:
:bs: ...Longtubes amplify low and mid-range torque....DA snake boy!!!

Then it must work opposite on a windsor-based motor cuz the 5.0 motor loses a little power in the low/mid power range with LT's and little to no mods. With power adders that's a whole different story. It really frees the car up a little and you can really feel the power up top.

Last edited:

duane v

Established Member
raven69david said:
Then it must work opposite on a windsor-based motor cuz the 5.0 motor loses a little power in the low/mid power range with LT's and little to no mods. .
With my 94 GT I picked up a ton of torque with long tubes :shrug: ....DA snake boy!!!

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
duane v said:
With my 94 GT I picked up a ton of torque with long tubes :shrug: ....DA snake boy!!!

Maybe my car is cursed?! :shrug: :bash:

Correction: It's not cursed...it's untuned.........STILL!!!!! :cuss:

blackfang

Established Member
When we did mine on a lift, we didnt support the motor at all. Granted the car was only 15 inches or so off the ground. The motor actually lowered about 3 inches and gave more clearance to work on. Lowered the K member with the rack and pinion and supported it on jackstands.

I felt a nice gain of power in the low to midrange.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
raven69david said:

This is the worst advice I've heard in a long time. :burn:

Users who are viewing this thread