Longest Road Trip in a GT500?

Blue Snake

SLACKER Poster
Established Member
No real long trips YET;-) Going to do MAA Mustangs Across America in April.
Wa to LA to Charlotte NC then back :pepper:

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Established Member
I've done 350 in a day in my 2014. Love it!

IMHO... I would make it interesting. Where you can, split up. Send her on the Interstate and you take the off the beaten path roads, then meet up at a point. It would be a hell of a lot more fun than following / leading on the Interstate. So much of America is forgotten on those side roads. For ex: Highway 30 across Nebraska parallels I-80.

Husky44

Established Member
All:

I had an enclosed trailer that I just sold (worth about $4k more in AK than in FL). Essentially, the Ex fuel economy drops by about half, so there's no real additional cost by driving both. Open trailers (such as the uHaul trailer) aren't a good idea--the car gets the living crap pounded out of it by the rocks, mud, and stuff thrown off the rear wheels of the tow rig. Highways in AK and Canada have lots of cinders/small gravel laid down for traction that never get swept up or fully cleared off the roads. It's better to follow at a safe distance than to tow.

Definitely not splitting up; I've been happily married for 28+ years; I recognize a bad idea when I see it: "Here's the plan, honey-you drive the truck, with the two dogs, two cats, and all our stuff, while I put the top down and rip around on the twisties. I'll meet you at the hotel tonight." That is the recipe for an unhappy marriage. We've got several other road trips planned for after we get settled in FL. I can have fun then.

Recaros FTW! Did a 700 mile trip to Fairbanks and back 2 days after I got the car last fall--definitely the only seats that I've ever had that I could walk upright after doing a 3 hour run!

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Established Member
definitely not splitting up; i've been happily married for 28+ years; i recognize a bad idea when i see it: "here's the plan, honey-you drive the truck, with the two dogs, two cats, and all our stuff, while i put the top down and rip around on the twisties. I'll meet you at the hotel tonight." that is the recipe for an unhappy marriage.

lol!!!

reason4treason

Established Member
honestly if it was me, i'd rent a trailer from uhaul and save the 4000 miles on it! not to mention the $$$ w/ the double gas bill.

you aren't going to be able to have fun with it unless you are leaving your old lady in the dust on the drive down here! which i assume won't be happening! ;)

i was thinking the same thing about putting the miles on and the gas cost as compared to renting a trailer. could also share the driving that way and get to FL faster probably. then if you still had the itch to drive the GT500 after unloading your stuff, you could do a tour of FL. maybe visit the Keys.

it should be an adventure though if you choose to drive. be sure to bring a camera along. stay safe.

ILW84U

Established Member
Last summer we did a road trip down the Oregon coast. Did over 3100 miles in 2 weeks with a lot of sight seeing. Awesome trip & the car was a riot to drive.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
Can't you rent a trailer from U haul or something?
^^^+1. That's what I'd do. These cars have a 16 gal. tank plus they don't have good gas mil. so you're going to have to refuel many times not to mention all that extra miles on the odometer. You should've moved to Tampa Bay, not Vero Beach. Hurricanes and storms hit the east coast of FL first and H.O. insurance is going to be a P.I.T.A.:nonono:

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I'd be cool with that type of road trip but not one where you have to stay with another car... that doesn't sound like fun but good luck

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Car Eats up the open road. Enjoy it
Recaros FTW! Did a 700 mile trip to Fairbanks and back 2 days after I got the car last fall--definitely the only seats that I've ever had that I could walk upright after doing a 3 hour run!
The car is GREAT on the open road! I did about 1500mi in 3 days, bringing mine home after taking delivery. It was a LOT of fun (except for the two spots of bad/cold weather I encountered) and the Recaros are AWESOME.

Definitely not splitting up; I've been happily married for 28+ years; I recognize a bad idea when I see it: "Here's the plan, honey-you drive the truck, with the two dogs, two cats, and all our stuff, while I put the top down and rip around on the twisties. I'll meet you at the hotel tonight." That is the recipe for an unhappy marriage.
ROFL! :lol: You are a wise man.

mullens

Established Member
I hate to admit it, but I think the longest road trip I took was 180 miles round trip. But, one day I want to take the car to Vegas which would be about 900 miles round trip.

Come see the Shelby Museum. Well worth it and not too long of a trip for you. It's only a 30 mile drive for me. :banana:

Van@RevanRacing

Customer of mine just drove cross country from California to New York then down to Pennsylvania then back to Michigan. It was a 2007 Super Snake with a KB 2.8

Last year he did the Shelby Run Europe in the car and drove it all over Europe including some laps on the Nurburgring.

This was the final trip for the car. It is officially retired.

Pretty cool. Would love to do that.

Van

ebucky

Established Member
Leaving on Labor Day for a 3-week trip San Diego to Jacksonville and return. Plan is to put on about 4500 miles, but I bet I end up with closer to 5000.

David Neibert

Established Member
One thing I worry about is getting a puncture and be dead in the water when the car is undriveable........................and I'm not using that POS can of inflate a flat that idea is useless and I'm trying to think up a way to get a spare tire on this car................any ideas anyone???

Tony

Same issue with my wife's Charger SRT8. Rather than use the goo in a can I just keep a repair kit and some pliers in the trunk. Her car also included one of those small air compressors that plug into the cig lighter, so that is all you would need to repair a tire going flat because of a nail or screw. If it does worse damage to the tire I guess your pretty much screwed and will have to use the Road Side Assistance.

David

mullens

Established Member
Same issue with my wife's Charger SRT8. Rather than use the goo in a can I just keep a repair kit and some pliers in the trunk. Her car also included one of those small air compressors that plug into the cig lighter, so that is all you would need to repair a tire going flat because of a nail or screw. If it does worse damage to the tire I guess your pretty much screwed and will have to use the Road Side Assistance.

David

The main reason for not using the goo is that it destroys the TPMS sensors. So now you have a tire full of goo and you have to replace the sensors, which aren't cheap. IMO absolutely no forethought went into this no-spare situation.

Users who are viewing this thread