Longest Road Trip in a GT500?

Husky44

Established Member
One week from today I should be on the road, relocating from Anchorage, AK to Vero Beach, FL. (I'm done with winters, and it's almost HERE here--guy in Lowes this morning was replacing the lawn mower display with snow blowers. :nonono:).

Anyway, original plan was to trailer the Shelby down behind my Excursion, but for about 4000 good reasons, I decided to sell the trailer and I'll be driving the car while the wife drives the Ex (offered her the Shelby, but she hasn't driven it yet, and doesn't want to--who am I to argue?).

Bing maps says it's a 4868 mile trip. Anybody made a run that long in theirs?

I'm never gonna get bragging rights for my racing skills, so I'm going for the long distance championship. :coolman:

Myfast70

Established Member
Sounds like it will be a blast but damn that's a lot of miles!! That's more than I will put on my Shelby in two years

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
I've done 800ish miles in a day, a few times in the Shelby. Made great time! lol Waiting for your wife to catch up in the Excursion will be the worst part.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I did about 2600 miles on a 5 day rally last summer.

Car Eats up the open road.

Enjoy it

s4awd

Established Member
Drove mine 450 from oh to ny in one day. The car is now my go to for long distance trips. Provided you have the recaros.

s4awd

Established Member
Drive 450 miles from oh to ny in one day. It is now my go to car for road trips. I have an M5 and a Prius. Reason being is not really the car but the recaro seats. Probably the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.

Ky GT500

Established Member
I would do it,,,what a blast!!!! I love driving mine. Done 300 so far,,,doing 750-800 round trip in April for the Mustang 50th in Charlotte. Got about 3100 on it now,,

occar

Established Member
You guys must have nice roads. I find the 200 mile trip to Barber exhausting, but that's likely due to the shoddy quality of the freeway once I get in to Alabama.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
I drive my Raptor 400 to 500 miles in a day two or three times a week for work. Im looking forward to splitting the miles on the GT500 as well as soon as they finish the clear bra for it.

The Shelby Run Europe ran almost 3000 miles in 9 days, and that is about the longest run Im aware of.

So this would indeed be a record run for a Shelby! Good luck and soak it in! Thats gonna make for a great memory!

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
honestly if it was me, i'd rent a trailer from uhaul and save the 4000 miles on it! not to mention the $$$ w/ the double gas bill.

you aren't going to be able to have fun with it unless you are leaving your old lady in the dust on the drive down here! which i assume won't be happening! ;)

Cman01

hello
Established Member
If you budgeted for the gas and other car related incidentals then for sure GO FOR IT!!!!! They are meant to be driven.

I've done a couple trips to Niagara Falls with mine, 1 trip to Carlisle and from there to Summit Racing and then heading back home to Toronto................basically I circled the state of PA. on that trip.

Next year will be down the Charlotte for the 50th celebrations and I'm planning a route back via TOTD and Blue Ridge Parkway.

One thing I worry about is getting a puncture and be dead in the water when the car is undriveable........................and I'm not using that POS can of inflate a flat that idea is useless and I'm trying to think up a way to get a spare tire on this car................any ideas anyone???

Tony

Marc

Established Member
I hate to admit it, but I think the longest road trip I took was 180 miles round trip. But, one day I want to take the car to Vegas which would be about 900 miles round trip.

kent1

Established Member
Made a trip (OCT. 99) to Florida to VMP for mods to be done on the car. The trip was about 2200 miles in four days! Car now has 13500 miles on it.

Last edited:

MNCobra

Established Member
700+ from Greenwood Indiana to north of Minneapolis...no issues...averaged 21+ miles to the gallon...not sure I would want to do 4000 miles though...

Users who are viewing this thread