Longer than normal (winter) storage questions (Disclaimer kinda long)

crimsonclint

Established Member
I did some searching and looks like most storage is limited to the winters in colder weather locations. Well the Air Force has hooked me up with a fantastic assignment (finally) to Turkey. As much as I love the dream car I have only had for 5 months I can't see taking it with me. That of course means storage...for more like 24 months. :(

The main reason I don't wanna take my car is the lack of garage/covered parking over there. A secondary but more important reason is how an infant carseat would/would not fit in there. Wife and baby are going with me so that piece is important. She is actually due right before I am scheduled to leave so the baby will be in his/her infancy from the moment we arrive in country.

The car is a torch red 10th that is mostly stock. I have a friend who would be willing to look after it if I put it in storage local to him. Would I need to do more than the typical batt tender/stabil/detail plan? I would want to drive the car when we come home on leave if possible so it "may" only sit for 6-8 months at any given stretch then I would drive it for a week or two before it goes back to sleep.

I know this is stupid long and I may be overreacting but I love that car more than I love me so I wanna do what's best. I know I left info out so forgive me on that...also I appreciate any help and tips out there!!

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
If you trust your friend 100% have him start it and let it idle till it warms up every 2 or 3 months. This will at least keep a little oil on the cylinder walls. It is just as bad to let cars sit anymore as it is to drive them. Other than that, tender is a good idea, and some dryer sheets inside and under the hood to keep critters out.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I went on a remote tour to Korea. I let mine set for 18 months, it was started twice. I started it up the day I got back and drove 6 hours to the VPC for shipping drop-off. Dont overthink this :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, that is some good advice from Broke7. Don't overthink this. Do the regular things going into long term storage and for the most part you'll be fine. Just an occasional start-up like he mentioned should really be fine.

crimsonclint

Established Member
I went on a remote tour to Korea. I let mine set for 18 months, it was started twice. I started it up the day I got back and drove 6 hours to the VPC for shipping drop-off. Dont overthink this :)

Yeah, that is some good advice from Broke7. Don't overthink this. Do the regular things going into long term storage and for the most part you'll be fine. Just an occasional start-up like he mentioned should really be fine.

I was afraid I was being overly worrisome...

Thanks for the peace of mind :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread