long tubes

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
ok whos got long tubes? what brand? how hard was the install? performance gains? worth it? drop in boost?

THANKS!

Satyr

Established Member
I have BBK LT's...performance gains were negligible (10-12 hp/tq), drop in boost was about 2# and I think they were definitely worth it.

I didn't do the install due to time limitations but it is pretty extensive.

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
I've installed a few sets of longtubes and they are not that technically difficult, just takes some time and it's hard to get to some of the bolts.
It's a lot easier if you drop the k-member but I've done some on jackstands and just had to loosen the motor mounts and jack up 1 side at a time to get them in. Took me about 5 hours this way last time. You might want to consider hiring a child with small hands or a contortionist and it will go alot easier.

91foxbody

Established Member
i have kooks longtubes. lost only a pound of boost. and gained 31rwhp at peak, and more under the curve. had a shop install because i heard of the hassle and didnt want to do this in my driveway.

TEX-STANG

Established Member
i have kooks longtubes. lost only a pound of boost. and gained 31rwhp at peak, and more under the curve. had a shop install because i heard of the hassle and didnt want to do this in my driveway.

Was this done on a 03/04 Cobra or your hatch?
Thats a significant gain.....why do we loos boost?

GodStang

Established Member
Right now the best all around ones to get for price, quality, and fitment are the American Racing Headers. Talk to torchred04. I am running Kooks and yes they are very nice but for the price you can not beat the AHRs.

Pock

It’s an addiction
Established Member
Right now the best all around ones to get for price, quality, and fitment are the American Racing Headers. Talk to torchred04. I am running Kooks and yes they are very nice but for the price you can not beat the AHRs.

Where do you get these?

91foxbody

Established Member
Was this done on a 03/04 Cobra or your hatch?
Thats a significant gain.....why do we loos boost?

on my 03. im to lazy to search, but i started a post about my gains. i did no other mods besides headers and new mid pipe. same dyno.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member

31 hp increase from LT alone? That's about 3X what most people get which is usually 7-12 hp.

DanielB

WHPPLD
Established Member
I also have Kooks. I did full front suspension at the same time so the install wasn't too terribly difficult.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i have slp long tube headers... pretty expensive for the hp gain.

they were installed before i bought the car. i would say if you do headers make sure you change the k-member while your doing the labor.

racebronco2

Established Member
ok whos got long tubes? what brand? how hard was the install? performance gains? worth it? drop in boost?

THANKS!

I have the mac's from lethal, I installed them when i had the engine out.

Not sure of the gains because i did cams, ported intake and ported heads at the same time.

Worth it??? I wanted the car to run more efficient and now i have 11lb of boost with a 2.93 pulley.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I can see only gaining 12-12hp with a mild setup. But with one of the newer ports and and agressive pulley combo, I bet the gains are in the 20hp/tq neighborhood. even more with a twin screw.

Personally, I think longtubes are a must on ANY modular motor. My car has Kooks, and I was lucky enough to buy the car with them already installed, saving over $1000.

twhitey

Established Member
I bought a set of hooker headers and just had them ceramic coated. I will let you know in a month or so how much boost my car lost and how much rwhp/rwtq it picks up. I will be getting a retune at vmptuning so the dyno will be the same

lococobra03

Established Member
I just put a set of BBK ceramic coated on mine. PITA!! Worth it? Hell yeah.. Sound is awesome..Got to get back down to the dyno for the gains..Im seeing 17lbs of boost now instead of 19.

tonypipes

Established Member
Mac Ceramic Coated Long tubes, prochamber & catback, well worth it to me, sounds great also. I gained 20hp with this setup on 17 psi Whipple, just an a/f adjustment, Boost did not drop much, I had a shop install them, they dropped the K member. Go for it, you will love the sound alone, and your engine will Thank you. jmo.

03_SVT_COBRA

Established Member
well im almost hitting 19 psi now.. I think thats a bit high.. if the headers drop it a bit and i get more hp and tq then thats perfect! my guy is qouting me 1800 for kooks with a catted 3'' X pipe. good deel? I have flows as for the cat back. guys, is it gonna be so loud i cant stand it?

Thanks again!!!!!

lococobra03

Established Member
well im almost hitting 19 psi now.. I think thats a bit high.. if the headers drop it a bit and i get more hp and tq then thats perfect! my guy is qouting me 1800 for kooks with a catted 3'' X pipe. good deel? I have flows as for the cat back. guys, is it gonna be so loud i cant stand it?

Thanks again!!!!!

Thats not bad. I have been quoted as much as 700 for install. It will be money well spent though..I would personally charge 1k just for install or just never ever do it again. Yeah that bad... Im running O/R H pipe 2 1/2 with SLP LOUDMOUTH and it is LOUD AS HELL!!!! I LOVE IT:rockon:

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
I have the Kooks headers. Installed them in my garage taking my time took about 7 hours. The sound makes it all worth it though.

Users who are viewing this thread