long tubes tuning questions

97svtman

Established Member
Yesterday i picked up some bbk longtubes used for 125 dollars im getting the ford racing manifold gaskets and the bbk shorty x pipe. i was told not to put them on without a tune it will be very dangerous. my car is stock minus imrc deletes. I would like to install them to make sure there are no issues with these headers. Any thoughts on running them for a few months without a tune.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
whoever told you that is a moron, you can run them without ill effects. I ran mine a good year plus with no tune. You wont see the full advantage of a tune without them but it sure wont hurt anything.

97svtman

Established Member
thats what i thought. theres also a medium sized dent in one of the primaries a local tuning shop said that its not going to effect anything that it was on a car that made 700rwhp. so i was good

97svtman

Established Member
GOOD to hear i cant wait to get the gaskets and x pipe so i can put the headers on. im also ready to start my c swap and stroker motor. just waiting on a guy to let me know what he wants for 03 heads. as soon as i get some more parts ill start a build thread. with before and after dyno. of everything

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
You may have a little trouble with idle and holding the AF at stoich at idle and part throttle without changing the O2 Transport Delay in Revs table in the tune. But it should not cause any damage if you don't.

97svtman

Established Member
ok as long as its not to bad im not worried the motors coming out in the spring for stroker and c swap and will be tuned then. and will be driven very little if any this winter seeing as we dont get much snow.

gq916

Established Member
you'll be fine, if u install ur headers by lifting or tilting the motor, i suggest u change ur motor mounts too.

Lazered98

PAH!
Established Member
ok as long as its not to bad im not worried the motors coming out in the spring for stroker and c swap and will be tuned then. and will be driven very little if any this winter seeing as we dont get much snow.

I would probably just wait then, if you are going to be pulling the engine. I would put them on the new engine and put them in with the engine, instead of trying to do it with the engine in the car.

97svtman

Established Member
i know i should but i have a lift and all the proper tools to do it I just want some good sound.

BurninRubb3r

Established Member
I would probably just wait then, if you are going to be pulling the engine. I would put them on the new engine and put them in with the engine, instead of trying to do it with the engine in the car.

This.

I would just wait. Why install the part on a motor you will be yanking out? Forgive me if I misinterpreted the situation.

97svtman

Established Member
Idk its not like its going to be that hard ill just put them on now drive it with them then just pull the motor when i do the stroker Ill just put them back on before i put the motor back in. I guess i dont see why i would be a problem if i did them now.

Lazered98

PAH!
Established Member
Idk its not like its going to be that hard ill just put them on now drive it with them then just pull the motor when i do the stroker Ill just put them back on before i put the motor back in. I guess i dont see why i would be a problem if i did them now.

Wouldn't be a problem, it just seems like a waste of time if you say you wont drive the car much and wont get tuned and will be putting a new engine in anyway. That's just a good bit of work to do when you know you will have to redo it in a short time.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
thats what i thought. theres also a medium sized dent in one of the primaries a local tuning shop said that its not going to effect anything that it was on a car that made 700rwhp. so i was good

If the dent is on the driver's side 2nd primary then that is just the way BBK makes them. It's their cheap way of getting clearance for the oem steering shaft. Some other brands require changing out the steering shaft.

See here from Ciotti's build
281766_10150708933635494_900355493_19726396_4704315_n.jpg

Last edited:

97svtman

Established Member
its deff passenger i wont know why theres a dent until i look at it on a lift its a little confusing. and im not really worried about the time it takes putting them on. but i might just wait til i do the engine. i just wanted it to sound good til i drop the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread