Long tube headers ?

VR93SVT

Established Member
I have the twisted wedge heads. I bought bbk equal length's over the weekend. i put them on the motor spark plugs are easy to get to. thanx for all input, i wish i would have got longtubes but oh well.

FoxSnake

Established Member
carguy19 said:
This is a huge exaggeration.

My LX with a 393 picked up 8hp on the engine dyno (not WHP) by going from a equal length JB shortie, to a KOOKs long tube 1 7/8ths. The entire gain was over 5000 rpm.

No header is going to give you 40 hp.

Well I dont race dynos, just on the track. I picked up right at 4mph at the track, (went from 121mph with Equal Lengths to 124-125mph with Long Tubes, No other hardware changes). 302ci, pumpgas, 9-10psi, hci, 3370lbs, 17'DR's. They make tremendous GAINS over short-tubes with forced induction. N/A, they STILL make WORTHWHILE gains over shorties. This is pretty old stuff, guys.

carguy19

Established Member
FoxSnake said:
Well I dont race dynos, just on the track. I picked up right at 4mph at the track, (went from 121mph with Equal Lengths to 124-125mph with Long Tubes, No other hardware changes). 302ci, pumpgas, 9-10psi, hci, 3370lbs, 17'DR's. They make tremendous GAINS over short-tubes with forced induction. N/A, they STILL make WORTHWHILE gains over shorties. This is pretty old stuff, guys.

Precisely what Im saying..... on a race car they are worth something. On more of a daily driver you're not going to feel that difference. Not worth the ground clearance problems, the poor sealing (not all long tubes but most) and tricky install/removal to work on things.

Everyone's got their opinion, Im not trying to debate anyone. I just thing for anything but a car that sees more strip then street, the shorties are the way to go.

FoxSnake

Established Member
Well, actually, I described what I had done to my car to show that it is in fact a street car, not a race car. It does have a blower, and that is largely the reason for the healthy gains. Was just saying that Longtubes have their application, and can produce 40 or more hp over shorties. I agree with you, to each his own.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
twisted89GT said:
Two things:

1. BBK headers are great just do not use the supplied header gaskets. They will fail in a few weeks and you will be doing the whole job again.

2. Go with the unequal length shorties. Any minute gain is not worth it when you burn spark plug wires and take half an hour to tighten one side of bolts.

These are two of the most accurate and truthful statements that I have ever read on the internet (from my own experience) :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread