Long tube headers ?

VR93SVT

Established Member
Hey guys, I was attempting to attach my headers to my heads today and they are warped. 6 of the 8 bolt holes will line up but the last 2 are off buy a 1/4 to a 1/2 of an inch. i guess just from laying around for 3 years. Anyway Im interested to run longtube's cause of the n/a setup i have. Can anyone recomend a good longtube header that has good clearences with sparkplugs/ wires and also with the steering shaft. Any help would be great. I was looking at bbk longtubes, i have heard alot good of them. But i dont wanna spend an arm and a leg if on the best. thanx.

bad93svt

Established Member
I run the bbk 1 5/8" longtube headers on my 93. The hit the steering shaft (you can dent the header prior to installation or buy a aftermarket shaft) they also hit the passenger side of the k-member a little bit. They aren't really worth the extra effort in my opinion. Since your 02's sensors will be farther downstream.. you will probably have tuning problems.

just my input.
buy some used ford racing shorties & save yourself some hassle.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
bad93svt said:
I run the bbk 1 5/8" longtube headers on my 93. The hit the steering shaft (you can dent the header prior to installation or buy a aftermarket shaft) they also hit the passenger side of the k-member a little bit. They aren't really worth the extra effort in my opinion. Since your 02's sensors will be farther downstream.. you will probably have tuning problems.

just my input.
buy some used ford racing shorties & save yourself some hassle.

I totally agree.

badvenm

Established Member
BBK equal length shorties fit fine. I don't feel that cars that are mild street cars need longtubes. Their just isn't much hp gain from longtubes until you start getting serious and buy heads and blowers etc. I think I read in MMFF that a car they dyno'd only gained 1 hp from longtubes until they added a blower and then it helped by 15hp. In my opinion its not worth the hassle for a hp or two.

badvenm

Established Member
BBK equal length shorties fit fine. I don't feel that cars that are mild street cars need longtubes. Their just isn't much hp gain from longtubes until you start getting serious and buy heads and blowers etc. I think I read in MMFF that a car they dyno'd only gained 1 hp from longtubes until they added a blower and then it helped by 15hp. In my opinion its not worth the hassle for a hp or two.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I despise long tubes...

Another vote for FRPP shorties. I have been running the same set for 8 years now.

FYI, if you go with BBK long tubes, you will have to buy the BBK midpipe

VR93SVT

Established Member
To those who dont know the motor is built to make about 450 hp so thats why i was aiming towards the longtubes,but i had mac shorties and dont know if they were equal length or unequal.

buddha93

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
I despise long tubes...

X 1000 :D

It's really up to you, but I'd suggest sticking with a set of shorties also. I've have 3 sets of longtubes and that was enough. You can't even do a simple clutch change without pulling those damn things.

I'm currently running a set of Bassani 1 3/4" shorties on my blower combo. I'll give up a few hp for the ease of installation.

carguy19

Established Member
buddha93 said:
X 1000 :D

It's really up to you, but I'd suggest sticking with a set of shorties also. I've have 3 sets of longtubes and that was enough. You can't even do a simple clutch change without pulling those damn things.

I'm currently running a set of Bassani 1 3/4" shorties on my blower combo. I'll give up a few hp for the ease of installation.

bassani big tube shorties are the best header out in my opinion.

they make the same power as long tubes and have none of the issues of them.

tommygun

Established Member
I have run Bassani stepped long tubes and loved them, you could do a clutch swap while they were connected too LOL I like BBKs for simple fit and quality and you can find deals on them from time to time (brothersperformance.com hot deals). I also enjoy the simplicity of a shorty header, the FMS have always been top notch with the ticker better quality flange then most others. I have never run the Bassani/AMS big tube shortys but could never get myself to plop down 400+ bucks for a set of shortys LOL

fivestangs

Established Member
While we're on the subject of headers.... what's everyone's opinion on using the 1 3/4" shorties on a 388 stroker setup where the h-pipe will be a 2 1/2" offroad variety? Too restrictive? I have some 1 3/4" long tubes ready to go it (I'm in th e middle of a headswap) but I can already see they're going to be a freaking nightmare to deal with and I'm not opposed to just selling them for a loss and getting the big tube shorties if they're not going to choke the motor too much.

Mark

tommygun

Established Member
fivestangs - is your combo just NA?

you could gain a few hp from the long tubes for sure but if your just building it to drive and have fun then the simplicity of the shortys is where its at. If your trying to squeeze every last hp out of the combo then go with the long tubes for sure.

VR93SVT

Established Member
I wont have to do a clutch change, it has an aod in it, they say the long tube's hit the pass. side sumwhere, and they hit the steering shaft ? i dont know what i want. and im trying to get every pony i can out of this motor.

tommygun

Established Member
bassani makes AOD headers

BBKs WILL NOT fit with the auto

Mac will sometimes clear LOL

fivestangs

Established Member
It's NA and it's a street car, so I'm not looking to squeeze every ounce of HP out of her, but, I don't want to leave, say, 50 hp on the table either. Maybe, 15-20 at the most, I can live with that..but if the shorties are choking the motor to the tune of 50 hp (or more) , there's no way I'm leaving that much behind :)

VR93SVT

Established Member
I went with bbk shorty equal length. i dont think that u will loose 50 hp cause of shorty maybe like 3-7 on a tune im guessing.

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
i have a set of bassani ceramic coated equal length shorties. they have 1 5/8 primary tubes. i'm gonna polish em up tonight and ask 225 shipped for em. if anyone's interested.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Long tubes are not going to give you 50hp over shorties. At the most I would bet the difference would be 10hp at the tires depending on the combination.

FWIW I pushed over 600hp at the flywheel through my FRPP shorties

Users who are viewing this thread