Long Tube headers for the 5.0

Blown306

Established Member
Thanks Bruce...I was going to email you my header install update, but you probably have followed it here.

Oh, and welcome to the board! :beer:

Skidonenko

Established Member
guess ill be using these guys for headers

www.speedwawymotors.com

2 sets of these
110-3.jpg

and 2 of these should do me
header flange's

Josh

GONE14S

Established Member
:cuss: This is Vic. for the rest of the weekend......
:burnout: This is the mech. thats testing his car for the rest of the weekend......:thumbsup:

Kurt Sr

Skidonenko

Established Member
nah, there is room for a set of custume ones to be installed around the steering shaft, im not worried if its not pretty at first.

Josh

Blown306

Established Member
Agreed...it's a little tight, but there's room to snake them down through there. I got the cheapie summit one's, they are actually 2 piece, meaning that you can basically seperate the primaries from the collectors! They'll need to be welded IMO, I can't see anything like that lasting and not leaking if you don't.

It's an interesting concept. I'll post up some pics later. I think I can make them fit. The one thing I don't like about the MAC's is that the 1-5/8" pri kit is only available in 2.5" collectors. While that's probably ok for most, I'll need to step that up to 3" pipe...

Good luck with your fab Josh...after looking at these $80 headers, I actually think I might be able to make a set too...I'm sure it's gonna be a lot of trips from under the car to the welding bench and pipe bender though...:shrug:

okcbird

Established Member
I should have my 87 - 93 Mac Longtubes in at the beginning of next week, then as soon as I get the heads, and lower intake back I'll let you know how it goes.

Blown306

Established Member
The last time I took pictures of car parts in our house my better half almost killed me :shrug:

I'm getting mine on Saturday...when do you think you are doing the install?

Blown306

Established Member
I'll try and test fit them Sunday...(if they arrive by Saturday at the shop). Hopefully that's the case...I need to get beyond this header issue and get on to the rest of the exhaust system!

VicRattlehead

NMRA M/M 7270
Established Member
get the tank out yet?

looks like Kooks is going to do something for us 4.6 guys, sounds like there not going to be true long tubes but not shorties either, a mid lenght thing. i dunn ill see what comes of it, if its to pricy ill get in contact with kris danner and see what he did and custom make me some real longtubes.

Last edited:

Blown306

Established Member
Nope...that's going to take awhile....gonna turn them down under the car right before the tank.

Kooks are generally pretty expensive...$600 for what MAC sells for $300...hopefully they're a good price though.

okcbird

Established Member
Should have pictures Saturday evening once we get everything installed, the motor is completely tore down right now and ready to be built back up with all the new stuff.

-J

okcbird

Established Member
Mine are being sold, they hit it way too many damn places, I'm tired of screwing with it for now, JBA's will be on their way today.

-J

Blown306

Established Member
You're kidding! There's been so many posts on this I can't remember, were those the Fox 1-5/8" pri 2.5" collector (9458?) headers?

If those hit in so many places, I'll reconsider going back to the 1.75" primary headers...my guy probably still has them in his shop...if I gotta do that much work, at least I'll do it on something I'd rather have in the car.

I MUST get my exhaust done by Jan 30th for World of Wheels, working out there tonight. I'll get around to snapping pics of those Summit headers for yall....

Bummer OKC, sorry to hear that... :shrug:

okcbird

Established Member
If I were you I wouldn't buy them, I'll check (for the 10th time when I get home that it's the right PN) they hit in more places than I cared, and some which couldn't be remedied without extensive work.

On driver side, they ran right on top of all the loom wiring going into interior, and they hit the oil pan flange and since the motor had to be raised some to get them to fit the flange at end of header hit bottom side of car.

On passenger side, after raising it it still hit K-member and also the tranny lines were being pressed against the header, just not worth all that hassel IMO.

I ordered the JBA's just a few minutes ago, in all actuality they should be fine for my N/A setup.

-J

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
Maybe I have the wrong school of thought going here....BUT...I think my stock manifolds will be the restrictive point in my system. I know they are tiny, but I don't see the point in all this hassle. Wait til someone actually PRODUCES them. Jeff, you have time and your car won't be ready for a while anyway.

Although custom LT's would be a nice touch....I think it's a lot of work and its more running around that anyone needs.

If I'm really lucky I'll have a longblock back in time for summer and my K member will already be in the car:) Then I can install the LT's with my new motor....YEAH RIGHT

:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread