lojack early warning system

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
that option is a great one but it doesn't tell you when your car has moved without you in it.....in other words, nobody has combined both of these into one yet.

so, yes, when you realize it has been stolen you can track it, but how many hours has it been until you wake up in the morning and see it gone?

That's incorrect. Several companies market a device that will notify you the moment the vehicle moves more than one meter. I know, I use it for surveillance details quite a bit.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by bones
What makes you think the police are going to act any quicker when you call them and tell them your GPS is telling you the car has been stolen? What if it is moved after you file the first report? How many times are they going to chase it? Also, the GPS puts the owner, in most cases a civilian, into the equation by having to direct the police to the location of the vehicle. I doubt if that fits into most police department operating procedures.

Actually, you would be surprised by how many vehicles are "found" by their owners or their families who then call the police and supply directions to the stolen vehicle.

maoun

Established Member
mswaim....do tell...what are the ones that have something similar that notify me when mine moves? that's exactly what i'm lookin for

thanks man
m.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
mswaim....do tell...what are the ones that have something similar that notify me when mine moves? that's exactly what i'm lookin for

thanks man
m.

Good question, TTT for you.
:beer:

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
who has the lojack early warning system....i have a lojack already and am looking at it...opinions?

I had it installed back in October of 2002.

Basically, I went through my dealership, who contacts LoJack and they send out a tech. It was roughly $550.

If you do get the system, make sure you call local and state agency's to make sure their cars are equipped with the tracking system for LoJack in the event your car is stolen.

:beer:

maoun

Established Member
i'm talking about the early warning system, not lojack standard...i doubt you paid $550 for the early warning....i HOPE you didn't

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member

thanks man
m.

I'm currently using a system that has been tailored to our particular needs, however you can get basically the same results by using equipment available through omnigps.com and setting the unit up to text message/email your phone when movement occurs.

There are others, you'll just need to decide what it is you really value, knowing when it moves, or re-acquiring it once it's taken. if your not prepared to stop the theft in progress, then the knowledge of when it first moves is not as important. Once it starts rolling, your better off to wait till it stops so a basic tracking system is a better choice for most users.

Bottom line is if someone takes your car, the only useful data is where is it at the moment your ready to retreive it, and any basic GPS tracking system can do that for a low cost.

maoun

Established Member
i can see you setting that up to text you every time it moves, but that's obnoxious...is there one that can run off of knowing it's you in the car, like the lojack can?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
i can see you setting that up to text you every time it moves, but that's obnoxious...is there one that can run off of knowing it's you in the car, like the lojack can?

Perhaps to you, however in my case as soon as I get in the car one switch flip and I'm undisturbed. If you don't know how to turn it off, then it's worth it's weight in gold. Try that with Lojack.

As I said earlier, if you want to compromise, stick with Lojack. If you want to know when your car is on the move, where it's going, where it's been, what speeds it reached, etc. then GPS is the only way to go.

ntechnic

Established Member
I guess it depends on where you live. Here in my SCV neighborhood, I have a county judge, an assistant DA, a sherif deputy (who is also a lawyer) and an LAPD captain that live within a one block radius. I've talked with all of them. They LOVE Lojack, especially when it's a "hot" call. Up here, there are mucho cars on patrol 24/7 with locators, and the eyes in the sky also. They love it because it's a guaranteed felony, and most of the time, they get multiple counts (usually drugs or guns with the thief) and these are second/third strike crimes. The officers love these busts, they're good for their careers. The prosecutors and judges love these cases because they're so air tight, they don't have to offer much of a plea bargain--hard to defend these cases--to get a serious conviction.

The LAPD and sheriff deputy said they will abandon meal breaks and sprint for their units when a fresh lojack call comes in, they all want to be in on the bust.

Now, I guess in areas that are more hard pressed for resources, have more murder/rape stuff going on, like South-Central or Fresno, it would be lower priority. But in the suburbs of LA and Orange County, lojack is high priority. Especially because of the percentage that end up with multiple felonies and strikes.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by ntechnic
I guess it depends on where you live. Here in my SCV neighborhood, I have a county judge, an assistant DA, a sherif deputy (who is also a lawyer) and an LAPD captain that live within a one block radius. I've talked with all of them. They LOVE Lojack, especially when it's a "hot" call. Up here, there are mucho cars on patrol 24/7 with locators, and the eyes in the sky also. They love it because it's a guaranteed felony, and most of the time, they get multiple counts (usually drugs or guns with the thief) and these are second/third strike crimes. The officers love these busts, they're good for their careers. The prosecutors and judges love these cases because they're so air tight, they don't have to offer much of a plea bargain--hard to defend these cases--to get a serious conviction.

The LAPD and sheriff deputy said they will abandon meal breaks and sprint for their units when a fresh lojack call comes in, they all want to be in on the bust.

Now, I guess in areas that are more hard pressed for resources, have more murder/rape stuff going on, like South-Central or Fresno, it would be lower priority. But in the suburbs of LA and Orange County, lojack is high priority. Especially because of the percentage that end up with multiple felonies and strikes.

The majority of all "felony car thefts" are not convicted as such. They are plead down to joy riding offenses. I worked auto theft details many times throughout the years. It's not a matter of resources, it's a matter of priorities. Most car thieves are not "professionals" nor are the vehicles headed to chop shops. They are taken for the purpose of joy riding. They are driven into the ground, then left abandoned with a cursory parts strip.

Personally, I don't want my stolen car to be recovered after a good joyride, I'd rather they burn it to the ground and I walk away with the insurance money.

The issue at hand here though is finding a system that truly works in all situations, not just in the greater Los Angeles area. There are more cars stolen per capita in the Central Valley of CA (in particular Fresno and Modesto) than in any other cities in the country, other than Phoenix. In fact, the four of the top five cities sit along the Highway 99 corridor in Central CA.

Last edited:

mjtpolice76

Established Member
I'm not saying lojack is a bad thing I just wish they would put the reponder//tracker in all of our cruisers. Why should a police dpartment have to pay for the trackers when lojack is getting all the money for the install. They should go to every police department in the country and install the tracking devices for free, in every cruiser. Do you really want the police to chase a stolen car because every police persuit I've been in the criminal totals the car. So the best option is to know when the car is parked and send the police to go get it for you. This way you get your car back in working condition. As far as getting the car yourself if you want to risk getting shot go ahead.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I'll take the risk, hell I did it for 26 years for other people's property.........but to each his own:beer:

Bottom line; Lojack works, however the newest GPS technology is cheaper, more reliable and much more flexible.

And that's what's really at the heart of this, right? Not if your car will be stolen, or who will steal it or what will happen to them after-the-fact.

Number One - Prevention

Number Two - Minimization of Loss

Users who are viewing this thread