lojack early warning system

maoun

Established Member
who has the lojack early warning system....i have a lojack already and am looking at it...opinions?

oldmodman

Established Member
Marwane, do you have a link to that system?
I have the standard Lo-jack on my 03 but I don't know anything about the early warning system either.

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
I have the EWS. I like it. PM me or even AIM NJCobra10tha if you have questions.

In short the car has to be moved for about 15 minutes then I will get calls, emails, pages alerting me the car might have been moved without my knowledge.

Fantastic piece of mind - no email, page or call, car hasn't been moved. I never give service men the Lojack EWS fob. This way I know they couldn't have taken it for a "test drive".

I upgraded to EWS recently. Do not call Lojack to do it, they wanted $400 as an add in to an already installed system.

I went to a local alarm shop who did it for 1/2 of that. Had they done the Lojack they would have done EWS for $100 more. My Ford Dealer puts Lojack on all their Cobras.

Dan

Last edited:

ntechnic

Established Member
M, I had it installed on the Aviator. $395 above the basic lojack cost. Of course, you can't even get a Lincoln without lojack these days.

Anyway, I tested it the day after it was activated. I took the transmitter dongle off the key and went for a spin. Within 10 minutes, my home phone, my office line, my wife's office line, my and her cell phones had calls that the car had been taken without permission.

Lojack is only as good as how soon you report it stolen. Then the cops know the radius they must be in.

I think this fixes the biggest hole in lojack security.

My Cobra is a whole different route of security though. I won't go into details on it in public (why give a blueprint on how to steal my car?) but I'd be glad to talk to you or PM through the SoCal board. Let's put it this way, the only way to steal my Cobra is with a flatbed. And if you try to carjack me, I'll have the car back in 10 minutes flat.

maoun

Established Member
good to hear....

i have MANY other tricks up my sleeve in my alarm...

richard, call me when you get a chance, let's talk..

thanks guys

coleman

Established Member
guys, i want LoJack w/ the EWS. but where should I go to get the best price? steer clear of any dealerships is what i'm hearing?

mjtpolice76

Established Member
Did anyone ask Lojack why they do not outfit all police cruisers with the locators? In my department we asked them for new hardware and they told the department we would have to pay for it. Needless to say we have 30 cruisers and only have 2 locators, and those two cruisers are not always on patrol. Thats why I won't buy Lojack, if they were so concerned with getting cars back they would pay to put locators in every police cruiser. They are more concerned about selling there system not recovering cars.

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
You know what - even if the cops can't track it because they don't have an available Lojack Car I would still rather know sooner than later my car was stolen.

As I mentioned earlier it's great piece of mind - no calls or emails means my car is still where I parked it.

I had no choice about the Lojack but added EWS for $199 from a local alarm shop.

I also have a great alarm for add functionality as well as security.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
guys, i want LoJack w/ the EWS. but where should I go to get the best price? steer clear of any dealerships is what i'm hearing?

Coleman - there is a LoJack office on 635/Greenville area. I bought my system directly through them, and they drove to my house and installed/tested it.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Lojack is an almost total waste of time and money in today's world. Most police department's do not have the time or the resources to devote to recovery programs based on such outdated technology. They would rather take the reports than go to the trouble of recovering stolen vehicles, one at a time.

For much less money you can buy a GPS transponder and track the car yourself via the internet for a small monthly fee. The device can be programmed to let you know if your car is moved any distance, and if stolen you can track it to it's location allowing you the option (not to mention the privilege and pleasure) to "re-acquire" the vehicle yourself.

No fuss, no muss and no time out of your busy schedule to appear for the numerous court hearings and procedures that will ultimately lead to a dismissal anyway. You will get your car back and the crook will eat through a straw for weeks, what else could you ask for?

Some law enforcement agencies are using the same technology to track their patrol units just as many trucking companies are now tracking their fleets. Makes dispatching much more effective when you can see at a glance who is the closest unit, no matter what the officer is reporting as his actual location.

94cobra

When will it be fast enuf
Established Member
Where do you get the GPS transponder and through who? Sounds pretty good.

john

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Depends on the application you desire. You can go as simple as a cell phone with a built in GPS tracking circuit available through Nextel and a few other cellular companies, hard-wired transponders, or you can go with devices from companies such as oxloc.com and webtechwireless.com

You can get covert units from tscm.com and many others. We have several small, covert units that we use to track anything we want. Simply stick it to the target and sit back with a laptop and plot its location to within a few feet. With the integrated map software anyone can do it.

The cell phone option works pretty well as a tracking device for people (as long as the carry it.......)

maoun

Established Member
that option is a great one but it doesn't tell you when your car has moved without you in it.....in other words, nobody has combined both of these into one yet.

so, yes, when you realize it has been stolen you can track it, but how many hours has it been until you wake up in the morning and see it gone?

bones

Established Member
What makes you think the police are going to act any quicker when you call them and tell them your GPS is telling you the car has been stolen? What if it is moved after you file the first report? How many times are they going to chase it? Also, the GPS puts the owner, in most cases a civilian, into the equation by having to direct the police to the location of the vehicle. I doubt if that fits into most police department operating procedures.

Users who are viewing this thread