Livernois stg3 porting

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
Was wondering what kind of gains their porting would offer on some 99-01 C heads? I have an opportunity to pick some up for virtually nothing and was wondering if the gains might be good enough for a BB/Stroker application. Ideally I'd like to go with GT/GT500 heads but they're so pricey.

MLS

Established Member
Last time I checked the biggest downside to ford gt/gt500 heads is finding (and buying) an intake manifold.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Last time I checked the biggest downside to ford gt/gt500 heads is finding (and buying) an intake manifold.

That hasn't changed, the only intake that will work on a 4.6 based, GT headed conbo is the FR500C and it will cost anwyhere from $1500-$2000.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
Would the GT heads/FR500 intake not be too much/too big for a N/A 4.6 build? Or would that just be like some nice AFR's on a 5.0L build? I'm talking streetable here, or even semi-streetable.

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
Putting gt500 heads on a 281 inch engine would be like putting afr 205s on a 302.

Hmmm... I dont pretend to be an expert on 5.0L's, but i know 165's are nice street heads, 185's can be as well, with a lot more potential. Dont know much about 302's with 205's... sounds like a screamer to me. GT/FR500 H/I would be a good combo for a stroker/big-bore/big-bore stroker i assume?

I'm just starting to jam info into the back ov my head here, as the not-so-distant plan now is to build the nastiest streetable N/A 4.6 i can. I've never had a 'built' engine, and after driving a car with one last month... well... i want one.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Hmmm... I dont pretend to be an expert on 5.0L's, but i know 165's are nice street heads, 185's can be as well, with a lot more potential. Dont know much about 302's with 205's... sounds like a screamer to me. GT/FR500 H/I would be a good combo for a stroker/big-bore/big-bore stroker i assume?
Bigger isn't always better and with that, the GT500 heads on a 4.6 would result in a low mid range power combo that only makes power high in the powerband. A big bore stroker can take those heads but the cost for them and a suitable intake is quite high, well very high and the return may not be worth the investment.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Just swap radiator caps. Take the radiator cap off your current mustang and drive a 2014 mustang underneath the radiator cap. Reinstall radiator cap and your engine swap is complete.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Bigger isn't always better and with that, the GT500 heads on a 4.6 would result in a low mid range power combo that only makes power high in the powerband. A big bore stroker can take those heads but the cost for them and a suitable intake is quite high, well very high and the return may not be worth the investment.

define not worth it. i mean, if it could be worth 50 rwhp over say ported c heads and a Sullivan on a bb/stroker, it could be worth it on a track car.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
Then can anyone recommend a good port for the 99-01 heads? I'm fine with leaving some power on the table and not springing 2k+ for GT500 heads. Picked up some conti heads for $100 and want to throw a serious (330+cfm capable) port job on them :) Perks of living in a small town .

Last edited:

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Then can anyone recommend a good port for the 99-01 heads? I'm fine with leaving some power on the table and not springing 2k+ for GT500 heads. Picked up some conti heads for $100 and want to throw a serious (330+cfm capable) port job on them :) Perks of living in a small town .

Call Fox Lake or Total Engine Airflow. Both are excellent. If you're running the stock runner length in the stock intake manifold, porting the heads won't be worth much because the RPM will be limited. The stock heads are very efficient up to 6000 RPM. You might pick up 15 - 20 HP. If you're running a short runner intake and can spin the engine 7000+ RPM than the ported heads will be well worth it. Especially for a big bore.

fs308

4v noob
Established Member
Putting gt500 heads on a 281 inch engine would be like putting afr 205s on a 302.

i may not know mod motors but i do understand pushrod motors. afr 205s on a well done 302 is an badass motor. it just has to have the correct cam and the right air to feed it

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
i may not know mod motors but i do understand pushrod motors. afr 205s on a well done 302 is an badass motor. it just has to have the correct cam and the right air to feed it

It will make good peak power at a very high rpm but produce very little midrange hp/tq. The fact that the nmca mean street 4vs are using c heads shows that bigger ports aren't needed on a small cube engine.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
So then with good porting, C heads can still be viable without opening them up way too much? Or at that point would a set of 03/04 heads with less agressive porting be a better alternative?

I would like to make power up until about 8k.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
So then with good porting, C heads can still be viable without opening them up way too much? Or at that point would a set of 03/04 heads with less agressive porting be a better alternative?

I would like to make power up until about 8k.

Do you have a computer that will work at 8k? How about a trasmission that will shif there?

99/01 and 03/04 heads are both C heads.

99/01 heads do not need extreme porting, especially if boosted. 99/01 headed combos were making 800rw before 03/04 heads came out. Like I stated earlier, the need for 03/04 heads is highly overstated.

Users who are viewing this thread