little update on my timing hater :(

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
so my car goes into surgery, reports:

timing points are correct

cams are from a 99-01 Cobra but the funny thing is that all start with "YF3E" doing some search intake cams start with "YL7E" and i have 4 "YF3E"??? is it posible to have 4 exhaust cams?? is this why when i add timing to my tune i lose HP/TQ??? what i did is put 96-98 intake cams and 99-01 exhaust cams just like good ol pushrods a bit more lift on the exhaust so my cams should be like this now

intake .390 [email protected]
exhaust .398 [email protected]

i wanted to put a set of 03+ heads and a PSR but funds are low as sh1t :(:(

i hope this fixes my timing problemo

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Heres the part numbers that are on the 99 cobra cams that I have, posted here to confirm that they are infact 99 cobra cams. Hope you get the gremlins outta the machine, only thing more frustrating than cars is a woman.

I have some "99 Cobra cams that I want to sell but they dont match the part numbers I had written down for 99 Cobra camshafts. Before I post these for sale I wanted to get some solid info confirming that they are infact '99 cobra cams.

Part numbers are
XR3E-6A270-AD
XR3E-6A271-AD

F2LE-6A272-AC
F2LE-6A273-AC

Thanks for the help. :beer:

Anthony

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
so my car goes into surgery, reports:

timing points are correct

cams are from a 99-01 Cobra but the funny thing is that all start with "YF3E" doing some search intake cams start with "YL7E" and i have 4 "YF3E"??? is it posible to have 4 exhaust cams?? is this why when i add timing to my tune i lose HP/TQ??? what i did is put 96-98 intake cams and 99-01 exhaust cams just like good ol pushrods a bit more lift on the exhaust so my cams should be like this now

intake .390 [email protected]
exhaust .398 [email protected]

i wanted to put a set of 03+ heads and a PSR but funds are low as sh1t :(:(

i hope this fixes my timing problemo

Get the engineering numbers for all 4 cams,
(The numbers you see on the cams are engineering numbers)
call Steve at Tousley and I am sure he can identify what they are.
There should be 2 numbers or letters after the 6250 on them,
that is the suffix and should tell them what they are.

Last edited:

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
i'll go check the numbers, i've been busy with my new job, my mechanic calls me and says 96 cams need a ticker bolt to atach the cam gears, i call tipton ford here in brownsville and they say 96-04 cams use the same bolt???

RED@7K

4VEE4ME
Established Member
i'll go check the numbers, i've been busy with my new job, my mechanic calls me and says 96 cams need a ticker bolt to atach the cam gears, i call tipton ford here in brownsville and they say 96-04 cams use the same bolt???

Who u gonna listen to? The guy behind the desk or the guy that's taking it all apart. I hate ford parts guys, the only person I've had luck with is tousley!

96-98 use a bigger bolt...99-04 are the same.

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
Who u gonna listen to? The guy behind the desk or the guy that's taking it all apart. I hate ford parts guys, the only person I've had luck with is tousley!

96-98 use a bigger bolt...99-04 are the same.

My exact thoughts, now i need the cam gears :nonono: anybody know if lincoln mark VIIIs are the same, or the part number??

thanks guys

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I think I have a complete set of used '99 cam gears, theyre yours if you want them?

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
OK! guess we found out my problem, my mechanic starts the car, and it feels like is shaking a bit, just like when it left the dyno, he asks me if the car felt like this at the dyno sesion and i say no, but it felt like that after it, but that it revs to 7k with ease, so he says it has a bad coil, we check them, 1 has like marmalade, i was running on 7 pistons, so maybe thats why it didn't liked timing, the coil blew at the first pull i guess, i felt like a noob for not knowing that my car was not performin' at a 100%, but i come from the pushrod world where when you have a bad coil there is no ignition at all :bash: :loser:

time to buy some coils and boots and take it to the dyno again

i'll keep my fingers crossed :rolleyes:

and keep you guys updated

Users who are viewing this thread