Line lock usage on 2015 cars (at the track) WILL void your warranty..

...Mark...

Established Member
There was speculation in the other thread.

It's better explained here.

But what, exactly, is racing? Brian Cotter, global Mustang communications coordinator, wrote via email, "If you are using this feature in an actual race (ex. at a drag strip vs. your neighbor's Camaro) this would create a problem from a warranty standpoint."

Cotter further explained, "[T]here is nothing wrong with testing the capabilities of the Mustang in a non-race environment. You could, for instance, test your quarter-mile time on a closed-course. This would be permissible because you aren't competing against any other car OR against a predetermined time, etc."

http://jalopnik.com/use-the-2015-mu...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
1) It makes no sense to offer a feature on a car, the use of which voids the warranty. Period.
2) It makes no sense for it to void your warranty when you're using said feature in the more controlled environment of an actual racetrack. Shouldn't it void your warranty if you use it on the street, instead?
3) How, exactly, will they know if you're using it in an actual race, or not?

WolfPackST

Banned
1) It makes no sense to offer a feature on a car, the use of which voids the warranty. Period.
2) It makes no sense for it to void your warranty when you're using said feature in the more controlled environment of an actual racetrack. Shouldn't it void your warranty if you use it on the street, instead?
3) How, exactly, will they know if you're using it in an actual race, or not?

Because guys like you naively tell the dealer you were racing, but "it was safe". So many people incriminate themselves because they can't keep their mouth shut.

...Mark...

Established Member
Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
This is the same deal with anything track related. You go WOT at a track and something breaks you could be looking at warranty issues. They're just covering their ass and there's no saying you can't protect yours. Just be smart about making a claim if something breaks.

Coiled03

Established Member

...Mark...

Established Member
I know they have event recorders. But unless the event recorder associates a geographical location or address with each event, how are they supposed to know if you were on the track, or the street?

Big brother is watching... http://www.wired.com/2011/09/onstar-tracks-you/

Shit like this makes me want to go build a notch, fox cobra, or something else retro more and more.

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
^ they dont. the event recorder works like a black box on an airplane now. once the car reaches a pre determined g load or engine load factor it will then start to record the event. from there it will record a certain length of time and then store that into the ECU's memory bank. if the event is severe enough to set off the TCS/ABS/AIRBAG/CEL then it will store it for a predetermined time.

when you then take it to the dealer for a CEL or other issue they will scan the computer and find x amount of stored data situations and can review the last few that set the code in in which the CEL light triggered. at that point it will be downloaded and or reviewed on site by a Ford regional engineer and they will make the final call on voiding the warranty or taking warranty action.

that is how it was explained to me during my tenure at a local and regional level tech event back in 09.

Last edited:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I will say the newer warranty guidelines for the Zl1 and Z28 are nice to see. They openly say that the warranty is 100% covered even if the car is raced. GM was actually bragging about the 3/36 warrnty on the Z28 being covered if you only tracked the car.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Id love to hear the Ford Exe explain how the "warranty is covered if it is on closed track with NO competition"....yet it wont be covered if there is another car there. How does that make any sense at all? So just becuase there is another car their while I "test" the limits of my mustang it wont cover any issues?

...Mark...

Established Member
This is the same deal with anything track related. You go WOT at a track and something breaks you could be looking at warranty issues. They're just covering their ass and there's no saying you can't protect yours. Just be smart about making a claim if something breaks.

Back in the day i had an AWD turbo DSM. I smoked the stock clutch at Englishtown. I had a nice guy who was in the pits with a fully built DSM tow me 5 miles down the street after i cleaned off the numbers on the windows. From there i called AAA for my free tow. Driver asked what happened and i played dumb. Told him the tranny was busted.

Got my free tow and upgraded the clutch and flywheel after the fact.

Gotta be smart..

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Id like to know how the dealership will know whether or not the breakage happened at a closed track with no other competition around?

"Sure, my buddy has his own airstrip, I was showing him the line lock, so go **** yourself and fix my car now"

Back in the day i had an AWD turbo DSM. I smoked the stock clutch at Englishtown. I had a nice guy who was in the pits with a fully built DSM tow me 5 miles down the street after i cleaned off the numbers on the windows. From there i called AAA for my free tow. Driver asked what happened and i played dumb. Told him the tranny was busted.

Got my free tow and upgraded the clutch and flywheel after the fact.

Gotta be smart..

AAA tow truck driver dont give a ****, you wasted that guys time.

Ive had my DSM towed from the gates of the dragstrip. The tow truck guy dont care, hes going to bill AAA for their time regardless of where the pickup is. AAA dont care either, their contract doesnt state they wont pick up a broken car at a racing event.

Last edited:

...Mark...

Established Member
'Ive had my DSM towed from the gates of the dragstrip. The tow truck guy dont care, hes going to bill AAA for their time regardless of where the pickup is. AAA dont care either, their contract doesnt state they wont pick up a broken car at a racing event.

I never read the fine print and would rather have been safe than sorry. It was a good 100 mile tow which if i had to pay would have added up. Actually now that i think of it, it was Atco not Etown too.

Good to know moving forward.

Spudz

Established Member
The technology is there for them to know whether you are at the track or not.

If memory serves, I remember a Top Gear episode where they were testing the GTR in Japan. The car had a speed limiter in place for regular highway travel, but it knew when you entered a closed race course and would automatically disable the feature so you could open it up all the way. Kinda scary when you think about it, just how much these cars have gotten smart over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread