Lincoln mark VIII engine

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
Is this engine basically the same as our cobra motors? They make less power so they probably have cheaper internals or cams/heads, but will one bolt in? I can get one cheap and need a new motor cuse the stock one overheated.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
I tried to link to posts on page 8 in response to some questions I had. Lots of good info on lincoln swaps. Also learned that front wheel version will not swap even though they look similar. Sorry the link didn't work - I fail at computers. BTW good luck with the swap

Last edited:

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
the lincoln im lookin at is rear wheel with an automatic 4 speed and a built 8.8 rear with 4.56's in it. its a 1998

phreakness

Established Member
The mark VIII engine is a 6 bolt non forged crank. Its got a more aggressive cam for TQ and less HP. the intake is different but its a common swap and bolts right up.

Other than those things its pretty much the same.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
It will work then. There are some differences between the years but in a nut shell diff cams and crank from cobra, same block and head castings. Check out that thread lots of good info from members who have done it and a few links also.

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
It will work then. There are some differences between the years but in a nut shell diff cams and crank from cobra, same block and head castings. Check out that thread lots of good info from members who have done it and a few links also.

ya i tried lookin, i couldnt find anything, anyway im not too worried about the internals, i just want the engine itself to fix and run so i can fix/build the stock one. Thanks guys

EDIT: phreakness thats a sick lincoln

Last edited:

phreakness

Established Member
well there is a difference between the years also

from 93 - 96 1/2 they were coil packs
from 97 - 98 COP

also the 98 4r70w was the better trans. The 93 were 'faster' but any 93 you find will most likely be run down and need a refresh at least.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The mark VIII engine is a 6 bolt non forged crank. Its got a more aggressive cam for TQ and less HP. the intake is different but its a common swap and bolts right up.

The cams are less aggressive; they have 20 degrees less duration than the 96-98 cobras. The valve springs in them are very weak in the early motors...not sure when they changed them if they did at all.

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
am i gonna have trouble if i have a 96 cobra and the lincoln motor is a 98? Coil pack-COP?

phreakness

Established Member
The cams are less aggressive; they have 20 degrees less duration than the 96-98 cobras. The valve springs in them are very weak in the early motors...not sure when they changed them if they did at all.

all of the 93 and most of the 94 had weird valve issues by 95 the probs were solved. Most of the 93-94s that had valve probs are blown up by now.

I through alot at my old 97 motor (100 shot, blowers, etc.) and the 'train look fine when I took it apart 70k on the clock.

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
all of the 93 and most of the 94 had weird valve issues by 95 the probs were solved. Most of the 93-94s that had valve probs are blown up by now.

I through alot at my old 97 motor (100 shot, blowers, etc.) and the 'train look fine when I took it apart 70k on the clock.

u put a 100 shot n a blower on the stock engine?

phreakness

Established Member
am i gonna have trouble if i have a 96 cobra and the lincoln motor is a 98? Coil pack-COP?

depends
if you're using you're stock harness then it should be a problem

if not using your stock harness (I dont see why not)

you'll have to do a Coil to COP conversion. a little wiring. simple lots of info on the net on how to do the conversion.

Thanks about the Lincoln.

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
depends
if you're using you're stock harness then it should be a problem

if not using your stock harness (I dont see why not)

you'll have to do a Coil to COP conversion. a little wiring. simple lots of info on the net on how to do the conversion.

Thanks about the Lincoln.

As long as its simple, ive wanted to go COP for a while now so i guess nows a good time. Do you know any sites offhand that i could look at, if not ill just search a lot thanks

phreakness

Established Member

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
why does my car still run with NO spark plug wires hooked up at all??? - Page 3 - TCCoA Forums

BTW I've never done it personally but I've seen it done for a couple of the swaps I've done.[/QUOTE

i just read that and it says they still batch fire, i wonder if there is a way to make them fire seperatly, that would be great im plannin on installin an O2 sensor on each cylinder- i know lots a dough, but i think the tuning benefit would outweigh the cost. Well see

phreakness

Established Member
I believe the stock PCM (with the right programming software)will support what you're wanting to do, but that ALOT of work and money for not a whole lot of return unless your going to be a SERIOUS racer with that car.

Marcello96

Shadetree Engineer
Established Member
I believe the stock PCM (with the right programming software)will support what you're wanting to do, but that ALOT of work and money for not a whole lot of return unless your going to be a SERIOUS racer with that car.

its not really for just racing, i wanna experiment with an idea ive had for a while, and its already been done but at the top levels of racing, so im just going to improvise, and learn from them to make my own thing

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
all you need to do is to get a flywheel out of a GT, put on your intake, swap over oil pans, use your valve covers, and put on your coil packs and brackets... keep the coil packs, they are much simpler than switching to COPs... i did the swap into my cobra not too long ago.

97/4.6w/fangs

NA FTW
Established Member
I'm running a 97 Mark VIII shortblock in my cobra from when I spun 4 rod bearings and broke 3 rods on my stock motor. It runs great. My only issue is a flywheel issue cause I've got a crappy one on, got a new lightweight billet one on it's way

Users who are viewing this thread