Lincoln Mark 8 as a D.D. anyone???

stangbanger856

Established Member
About have my 07 F150 paid off, gets horrible gas mileage and just tired of having a truck in general. Plus I could use the extra money on more important things like a house, haha.

Started looking around for a new daily and while walking threw a car show yesterday saw a clean Lincoln Mark 8, had some 17 inch staggered bullets on it but fairly stock. Started looking at a few on Craigslist and found some rough ones for $1500 all the way to some clean 80,000 mile all stock ones for $4500-5000.

Question is does anyone have one as D.D.? any issues (common) and what is the average MPG? My F150 is pulling average 14MPG so anything more then that is a plus. If you have pics post them up, thanks.

1hot281

Established Member
I used to DD a 95 Mark VIII when I was in high school in like 2000 and 2001. It was a great car. Super comfortable. Surprisingly quick for the time. Trunk was huge, even with subwoofers in it.

I burned out something with the alternator/charging system that left me stranded once... Other than that, I had no problems with it. I drove it like I stole it most of the time. Just wish the exhaust was louder, and the dif was a posi.

Never paid attention to the gas mileage. Gas was like $1.50 a gallon. I really didn't care.

022old_zps67482677.jpg

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
There are a few parts that are long obsolete, and it has full air ride which can fail. Otherwise they are 280/290hp cars that can run 14's stock. I say go for it

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
There are a few parts that are long obsolete, and it has full air ride which can fail. Otherwise they are 280/290hp cars that can run 14's stock. I say go for it

I know headlamps are going for a mint if in new/like new condition. And there are companies offering kits to put regular gas shocks and coil springs in place of the air bags. I'd rock it. Just be prepared for some of those issues. Otherwise it's a VERY dependable motor, GREAT transmission as long as its maintained and comfortable to ride in. Go for it.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
1hot281: Hey that's my Mark 8! :D
Here is mine. I call her "The Ugly Duckling".

267820-2722794.jpg

267820-2534248.jpg

Bought her to be my DD/winter beater. But my dad drove it a bit and fell in love. Here's our driveway last year after he did not only purchase 1, but 2. The gray one will be a low budget drag car. We're thinking single 88mm in that bitch.
159087-2849092.jpg

Even though I don't like the looks of it and call it "The Ugly Duckling" or nowadays it's just "The Duck", I love it.
The ride is best reffered in this phrase "Oh my god". It's unbelievebly comfortable. It's amazing.
The space in the front seats are about a football field big, each.
Trunk space, meh. Not so much in my opinion. It's very deep longitudal wise, too deep imo because I couldn't reach stuff furthest in (before I had the subs).

Reliability?
Only weakness is the air ride suspension. Be ready that it most certinaly will fail. Mine hasn't, yet.

Performance?
It's a big and heavy car. But she is still fast, even though it might not feel like it. But stock gearing is... Well put it this way, stomping WOT you will never even hit 3rd gear :p It definetly needs atleast 3.55's but 3.73's or even 4.10's would be much better.
But I've beat many cars on the streets with mine. It's really fun! And the grip is very good!
I'd say, drive one. They handle fairly well for what they are. You'll be suprised.

But myself, I've gone overboard with mine. Way overboard. I've gotten to the point where I barely dare to drive it since I have like 7 grand of car audio in it.
[youtube_browser]R4HlX-yYK_U&feature=c4-overview&list=UUDcQjqteZwP4Uf3qNSWH-SA[/youtube_browser]
And one video of the sound system for what it's built for, sound quality. With a slight touch of volume.
[youtube_browser]8dY049kVa4w&feature=c4-overview&list=UUDcQjqteZwP4Uf3qNSWH-SA[/youtube_browser]

Bonus video of me using the rest of my cheap ass winter tires. She is 100% stock, nothing performance wise is touched.
My friend who filmed it isn't really the best at filming, and that's putting it nice :p
[youtube_browser]R3SrUkr57Us[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is a nice lineup in the driveway. :thumbsup: Is that TBird (second from the right) a 5.0? If so, my wife used to have the same car, same color. She loved it.

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Cobra bob. Yes it is, infact it's my car.
The purple one that's lowered with big rims is my dads car. He's such a teenager ;)

The specs of the red one is in my sig :) Now getting more goodies like a 1200hp FB AOD and such.
Unfortinetly one car is missing in the pics and that's my fathers 03 10th anni Cobra. We have a quite unusual driveway here in Sweden :)

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
i used to have a lincoln continental which is a similar car and got 16.8 mpg over the lifetime of the car
best car ive ever owned

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
i used to have a lincoln continental which is a similar car and got 16.8 mpg over the lifetime of the car
best car ive ever owned

The 4v doesn't get good milage. Cannot even be compared to the 2v. You'd be lucky if you get over 22mpg highway driving.
But, who drives a hot rod Lincoln for fuel economy? :banana:

Kcobra99

Established Member
I had a 93 MK H8, used it as a backup DD for about a year. Good car overall, very comfortable, air suspension became a hassle, as well as the small headlights that burn their own lenses. If you commute on the highway it can get decent mileage, I got 22-24mpg highway easily.

JasonSnake

Established Member
Definitely go for one if you can. I love mine. The most expensive repair I had to do on it was two new OEM front air springs, @ $350~ each. But, you can alternatively buy a spring conversion for cheap.

They are a little weaker than the 4V SN95 Cobras, but not by far. You can also get midlength headers for it (no one makes longtubes or shorties for them).

edit: you can also do similar mods to these such as 4.10's, throw in a fortified 4R70W, supercharge it (certain Mustang kits fit with little modification), or just throw in a terminator engine without having hood clearance issues. Also, if you want to use Mustang wheels, you can use Mustang hubs up front, and drill the rear hubs to 4.5 pattern.

Last edited:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Air ride will be your biggest trouble spot, but if you maintain it and don't prolong small repairs, it will be just fine. If you want the easy out, coil conversion is under $400 and takes an hour. American Air will have everything you need for the suspension and they sell conversions. Stay away from Arnott.

I put 50k miles on mine in 3 years and used while doing sales. So a lot of short drives and everything else that creates rapid wear. Other than minor repairs (couple cops, air strut, IAC sensor) it was the most solid vehicle I had. I still miss mine and will likely buy another at some point as a daily.

Mine was modified and I almost got to the point of supercharging, but decided not at this time. Stock I averaged 24-25mpg on the highway and about 19-20 around town. After mods, 21mpg highway and about 17.5 in town.

Big mods were 4.10 trak-loc, custom tune, Cobra brakes, hub swap to Mustang bolt pattern, J-mod trans, 90mm MAF, and subframe connectors/engine cradle brace...those made a huge difference. If/when I buy another I will be doing 3.73's instead of 4.10's. I don't care what anyone says, 3.73 was a far better gear in a daily that sees a lot of highway.

IMAG0143.jpg

Last edited:

KingJacobo

GM Fanboy Gone Darkside
Established Member
I dd a 93. Quick for an older luxury car, super comfy. The stock audio is a mess if you wanna upgrade, wiring harness is a puzzle. As far as reliability goes, the air suspension is a PITA and most people replace it and go coils like I did. There is a common oil leak from the "oil filter adaptor gasket". Its a $5 part and a few hrs to replace, not too bad at all. Besides when my ball joint snapped (knew it was coming) I've never been strandes in the year I've owned it. As far as performanxe goes, with gears, stall, exhaust and a chip tune they will pull on 350z's. I have mine tuned with muffler deletes (pypes going on soon) and am satisfied with it fir a cheap dd (paid $1400, needed a full tune up and control arms)
The front ends of these cars take a beating, take a look under one before you buy and make sure it won't need a front end overhaul. And my rear end leaks, check for that too. They are cobras in a suit!

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
There is a common oil leak from the "oil filter adaptor gasket".

I have that one on mine. I have the gasket but I haven't gathered enough courage to change it yet. I took a look at it and said "This is ridiculous..." and dropped the car back on the ground :p

JasonSnake

Established Member
I have that one on mine. I have the gasket but I haven't gathered enough courage to change it yet. I took a look at it and said "This is ridiculous..." and dropped the car back on the ground :p

I resorted to using dino oil in the meantime and it has almost completely stopped the leak on mine.

1hot281

Established Member
1hot281: Hey that's my Mark 8! :D
Here is mine. I call her "The Ugly Duckling".

267820-2722794.jpg

Nice! The Sea Foam Green was totally the best color... haha completed the "grandpa mobile" look in my opinion.

I resorted to using dino oil in the meantime and it has almost completely stopped the leak on mine.

+1 I ran Castrol GTX in mine religiously, changed ever 3k miles with a Motorcraft filter. No leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread