Lincoln: Can Ford save them and how?

Jroc

Established Member
Lincoln says you can go to Ford dealers but when you try, the pretty much tell you they know nothing about them, cannot get parts and will not honor Lincoln service commitments like loaner cars etc. I will never own a Toyota or Lexus, but Lincoln does need to learn ALOT about how to service their customers if they are going to play in that market. Other wise its an overpriced Ford with less than Ford standard service.

I got the same thing from the Honda dealership about my old Acura Integra back in the day. I had to drive all the way to Tallahassee from Valdosta to get to the nearest Acura dealer.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Lincoln will survive. Why? Because its rebaged fords. That are upscaled. Also over the year Lincoln was one of the most reliable luxury car.

germeezy1

Established Member
One Ford really means 0 Lincoln because Ford can not ever make Lincoln relevant with their current risk, and cost averse thought process. Their brand image is at least ten years behind Cadillac, and 12-15 behind the Germans which is sad when you consider Lincoln's heritage.

germeezy1

Established Member
Lincoln will survive. Why? Because its rebaged fords. That are upscaled. Also over the year Lincoln was one of the most reliable luxury car.

Acura, Infiniti and Lexus make the Lincoln that you describe difficult to justify.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Acura, Infiniti and Lexus make the Lincoln that you describe difficult to justify.

Lexus had huge issues in the last 10 years. Acura is the only one that actually made a reliable car out of the 3.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I haven't cared for Lincoln's styling or pretty much anything they've had for a while. The car's are just renamed Ford's with a Lincoln emblem and very high price tag. The only reason i like my Aviator is that it has the DOHC 4.6 V8, something that set it aside from the Explorer/Mountaineer of those years. They really need to come out with a new, unique platform, instead of using the Taurus, Expidition, Edge and Fusion to build off of. They offer nothing more than what you can get with just a Ford. The styling is getting worse and worse, who the F**k is designing these things? The days of the old people buying these is gone, they need to step up their A game or will go away from lack of sales. If they offered a car to compete against the CTS-V, i think they could get a younger generation back into them. They really need to get away from the "trendy" names they think people like, and get rid of the hideous grills.

Last edited:

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
First off, Lincoln needs a solid way of deferentiating their models. I consider myself a car guy, and we own four Fords. I could not pick out any Lincoln out of a lineup BY NAME besides the MK/S.

Next, they should take a variant of the new Mustang and create a 3 series/Lexus Is competitor. Start there. If they can get their foot in the door with some kind of two and four door version of THAT car, then they can move to family car and ultra luxury cars. Everyone agrees that it takes time to get the brand off the floor, so redo the Navigator, WELL, and give us a near separate entry level sports sedan.

It has to be RWD, and you can use the 3.5tt and the 5.0 as well as the 3.7. Two things; it has to be the best looking car in the segment, and it has to handle like a BMW, not a Lincoln. Btw, I would use some sort of alphanumeric designation like Lexus and NEVER bring back the old Lincoln names.

germeezy1

Established Member
Lexus had huge issues in the last 10 years. Acura is the only one that actually made a reliable car out of the 3.

The data suggests otherwise, and it suggests that Lexus makes more reliable cars than Acura. Lexus also has significantly higher resale value than Acura or Lincoln due to its expected reliability.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Fords and Lincolns are built in the same factory. Lexus has its own factory from Toyota and they are built to a tighter tolerance than Toyota.

Lexus also has their own dealership chain. No Ford dealer knows how to sell a luxury car. Go to a BMW dealer and they will let you drive anything on the lot. Go to a Ford dealer and they'll scoff at your attempt to drive an ecoboost MKS.

Laughable. If Lincoln is ever to survive, they need standalone dealers, like Cadillac and Lexus and MB and BMW, and they need separate factories or higher tolerances. And for Christ's sake, build something exciting.

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
Fords and Lincolns are built in the same factory. Lexus has its own factory from Toyota and they are built to a tighter tolerance than Toyota.

Lexus also has their own dealership chain. No Ford dealer knows how to sell a luxury car. Go to a BMW dealer and they will let you drive anything on the lot. Go to a Ford dealer and they'll scoff at your attempt to drive an ecoboost MKS.

Laughable. If Lincoln is ever to survive, they need standalone dealers, like Cadillac and Lexus and MB and BMW, and they need separate factories or higher tolerances. And for Christ's sake, build something exciting.

Reminds me of the time i pulled up in my new Escalade to look at a used GT500, and the Ford dealer tells me that I have to do a credit application to drive. I pointed to what I drove up in ( which they could see because I pulled up right out front ) laughed, and walked back to my car. My local Lincoln dealer is inside of the local Ford dealer, and I can't imagine paying more for a Lincoln Fusion to put up with the same dealer experience.

Users who are viewing this thread