Lightning vs. 454 SS???

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Ok, here's the deal.

There's a guy at the track here locally whom has a 454 w/ a 502 engine swap in it. He claims to have 4.56 gears and from what i can tell...the 502 is 100% stock. I mean still has manifolds but does sound like he has Flowmaster on it. Also, the truck has 18in ZR-1 wheels on it. He claims that he is a "Lightning slayer". He's run a best of like 12.60's in it :bs: . Now, my question for you all is..... how much power can he be pushing w/o even headers on it. I've never seen the truck run or better yet...spin the tires. From just looking at the engine, i'd sware that it's a plain, stock 454 in it but i'm not real familiar w/ the 502. Comments? I'm thinkin of calling him out and shutting him up.

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Fuel injection.

I swear...it looks like a plain-jane stock 454. A few people say that i will murder him. he's an older guy...not too ****y....but he is proud of his "bow-tie"

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
You can't really tell the difference between a 502 and 454 just by looking at the valve covers. Call him out, what do you have to loose? He's the one making the "Lightning Slayer" remarks, your just giving him a chance to prove it. If you spank him he looks like a putz, if you loose you always have the "he has almost 200 cubic inches on yeah." defense ;)

SVTman75

My wallet hates me!
Established Member
Thanks Pistol...

Sid, it does not look like that. He has a nice size breather on top and his covers are just plain and don't say anything. Also, his intake is flat. Nothing special.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
ask him to turn a corner at the end of the race and then see who has the best all around package...

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
2004SVTLightnin said:
I raced a bone stock 454 when I was stock and I put about 3 lengths on him from a dig to about 100. stock I went 13.2 with trac bars and slicks.
I think you should've beaten him by WAY more than that. Those trucks and the first gen are supposed to be neck and neck stock for stock. The first gen came out as a response to the 454ss way back in 93. He obviously must've not been stock.

Dixiesys

Established Member
Just call him on it, if it's a ZZ502 he might just spank ya but who knows :)

I'm absolutely dying to get a ZZ502 in my old GMC, talk about a sleeper then! Need tranny and rearend first, what's in there now won't handle the 402 that's in it now much less one of thsoe monstrous 502's.

OH-MAN

Established Member
A gentleman in our local club has a 454ss along with his L. It is bad azz
Oh by the way both have Kenne Bell blowers :bowdown: :bowdown:

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
All the peppers and bananas are saying "Race...race...race...!"

:pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Mo Boost said:
All the peppers and bananas are saying "Race...race...race...!"

:pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana: :pepper: :banana:

:lol: :lol: The peppers and bananas are the coolest. :thumbsup:

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
2004SVTLightnin said:
I raced a bone stock 454 when I was stock and I put about 3 lengths on him from a dig to about 100. stock I went 13.2 with trac bars and slicks.

Are we talking about the ugly older box Chevy truck? The factory offering 454SS? That thing puts down like 230 HP stock, with a one wheel peel (no posi). Those things can stock can loose to rice. If it was that close, he MUST have have some mods on that thing. Though they have been out long enough to now be sheep's clothing on a wolf within - with absolutely no bearing NO resemblance to stock underpinnings. Stock, these things are pigs.

Herb

Users who are viewing this thread