Lightning is back on the ground!!

Bonestk87

Established Member
Well after almost a year we got my 04 Lightning off jack stands and back on its wheels!

Hopefully tomorrow it will run again. We just have to put the intake and blower back on and finish plumbing the Intercooler system.

I've done a full brake job, flush the brake system and installed Russell SS braided brake lines. Painted the calipers red and the rotors black. Turned rotors, new timkin wheel bearings and seals and Motorcraft pads.
jyve4e5y.jpg
9e6asy4y.jpg
sytenyhy.jpg
yge2a6uj.jpg
2uje7uje.jpg
rapy2a5a.jpg

I also had to rebuild my trac-lok and replace the outer axle seals.

Installed a Punisher VB, Moroso trans pan, Super Duty cooler, remote Trans filter and a MagnaFilter.

Also installed a Jabsco coolant pump, LFP Megatank, bigger Intercooler lines, Afco H/E and fixed the bumper gap while there.

Done a full tune up on the engine. All Motorcraft parts minus the TR6 plugs. New thermostat, water pump, both belts, Injector o-rings, ChemDipped the intercooler, Steigmier stage6 port on the Eaton, L&S oil separator, cleaned up the plenum and T.B, cooling mod done to intake manifold, Aeroforce dual gauges, Autometer NV Boost gauge, Autometer Triple Piller pod and LFP Boost by-pass. Whew!

I'm building a motor now. So I'm not going pulley up the stock motor.

I have many more parts I need (want). I just have to let the go-fast funds replenish. More to come later.

Jeremy

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Good deal!

Don't forget to keep an eye on those ball joints as that go bad pretty frequently on our trucks.

Bonestk87

Established Member
It wasn't make noise when I parked it and I did check them while it was up in the air. Thank you though. A friend of mine just had the dreaded clunk in his 02. What a whipping to find it!

More pics from today..

y3e9aty3.jpg
7ana2a6u.jpg

a7aju2uv.jpg
vemydu3a.jpg
ynagube8.jpg
y9aqy5e9.jpg

Got the wrong intake gaskets from Ford. Luckily I had some for a 4.6 build I'm about to do.
e3e6e8av.jpg

Last edited:

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
Good deal!

Don't forget to keep an eye on those ball joints as that go bad pretty frequently on our trucks.

How can I tell if the joints are shot?

When the ones on the Stang went, it creaked like an old wagon on bumps and when I rocked it side to side.

The L's joints all passed my visual inspection but one(the rubber boot on one is starting to tear open). I get no creaks when I rock it side to side, nor when i go through bumps. No play when i do the 12-6,3-9 test on the wheel either.

I have a horrible grunt turning sometimes(higher turning angles), when backing out and turning, and when braking(already coming to a stop not high speeds) or letting go of the brake from a stop.

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack, just taking quick advantage of a topic that came up.

Jroc

Established Member
How can I tell if the joints are shot?

When the ones on the Stang went, it creaked like an old wagon on bumps and when I rocked it side to side.

The L's joints all passed my visual inspection but one(the rubber boot on one is starting to tear open). I get no creaks when I rock it side to side, nor when i go through bumps. No play when i do the 12-6,3-9 test on the wheel either.

I have a horrible grunt turning sometimes(higher turning angles), when backing out and turning, and when braking(already coming to a stop not high speeds) or letting go of the brake from a stop.

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack, just taking quick advantage of a topic that came up.

L's like many full-size trucks are notorious for having ball joints go bad. My truck still has the factory ball-joint which are made by TRW and are sealed without grease fittings. The upper joints both have boots that are beat to shit. My truck seems to ride fine, and isn't really noisy with my cluck washers installed, but those rubber boots are suppose to have grease in them. Also my front tires wear really bad on the inside even though my trucks been aligned. Hopefully new ball joints will fix this.

This is the kit I went with as it seems to be the one with the fewest complaint's as Moog has gone cheap sign Federal Mogul bought them out.
XRF Ford F150 | Expedition 2wd Ball Joint | Control Arm | Tie Rod End Suspension Rebuild Kit

Many people really like the XRF ball joints and they have a million mile warranty.(Dodge and Ford 3/4 ton guys seem to love them) It also comes with the inner and outer tie rod ends, but if you want to do the whole frontend you will need to order a new Pitman Arm and Idler Arm. I haven't put it on yet but it looks to be a very quality kit and if you click on the picture it's only $199 and not $299.

XRF Idler Arm:
http://mibearings.com/xrf-chassis-i...739t-fa5034-450-1107-190149-idler-arm-p-42847

XRF Pitman Arm: (even though the link says Idler Arm)
http://mibearings.com/xrf-chassis-i...8700-fa6039-445-1063-190150-idler-arm-p-41544

I first order a Raybesto's kit, but it was crap, and did even come with grease fittings other than one of the uppers.

Bonestk87

Established Member
Well we got it started tonight!! I had bought 3 gallons of Motorcraft Premium Gold antifreeze. That wasn't near enough. Luckily I have a damn good friend that works for Ford in the parts dept. He ran up and got me 2 more gallons of antifreeze after they had closed so I could get this done tonight but it was all for nothing because I didn't have enough trans fluid either!

I also had to go to Walmart to buy 6 gallons of Distilled water to mix with the antifreeze.

The Intercooler system now holds a tick over 3.75 gallons! That is with the LFP Megatank, Afco H/E and 3/4in lines. The Jabsco pump works badass!! It does move some fluid that's for sure. I will have to see about loading a video of it pumping coolant into the Megatank. Very Impressive!!

Next thing to go belly up on us was not enough tranny fluid. I started out with 19qts and that didn't even put it on the dipstick. I added the Moroso tranny pan, super duty cooler, Punisher VB and remote trans filter. I did pump out 2 gallons of fluid trying to get the old fluid out of the convertor. I'm going to buy another case of Mercon V and pay for the extra 2 gallons of antifreeze tomorrow and try to finish this up.

Engine idled good but I didn't run it very long due to the low trans fluid.

We also got my Piller pod painted and installed. I just have to wire up the illumination for the boost gauge and that part can be checked off the list.
y8abenyj.jpg

ugyby2uj.jpg
vujemuty.jpg

Good info on the front end parts. That is on my list to do also.

Jeremy

Last edited:

Bonestk87

Established Member
Well I drove it tonight. Night and day difference from how it ran when I got it.

The Punisher VB is the bomb. Man when it hit 2nd you couldn't beat the smile off my face!!! It broke them loose pretty good. It hits pretty good in all gears. When it shifted in to OD around 115-120mph it hit real good!

The Megatank is leaking where they bolted the lid onto the resevoir. I will take it off and silicon it today sometime with that badass Ford grey crap they use on the diesels.

I love in the Interceptor Gauges. It going to take sometime to get them figured out. It's 73 out tonight here in Southern Oklahoma. The charge air temp stayed about 110-115, even at the 120mph blast.

It hit 10lbs at one time bout stays around 8lbs most of the time. But I really didn't beat on it. Stock pulleys for now.

I installed the MagnaFilter for the engine oil tonight also. With that on there my Ford Racing oil filter hangs down lower than the oil pan. I guess that won't be staying on there.

I'm happy with it!! It pulls so hard now compared to when I got it. A tune and wideband o2 is next.
8a5e4eme.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread