Lightning guys: What do you think of this claim?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Call it what you want homie.

I lived in the sport truck community for quite some time. I remember people discussing this issue on numerous occasions.

The Syphoon... It was so rare anyways... It always ended up swept under the rug.

Go get one man. I'm sure they are fun little trucks

The Syclone was "swept under the rug" by the mini truck guys back in the day because it was expensive as hell compared to the little Tacomas and such. And the second and third hand prices weren't falling off much at all. (I'm talking back in the '90s when the sport/mini truck scene was on fire.)

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
The Syclone was "swept under the rug" by the mini truck guys back in the day because it was expensive as hell compared to the little Tacomas and such. And the second and third hand prices weren't falling off much at all. (I'm talking back in the '90s when the sport/mini truck scene was on fire.)

Yep. 20+ in the early 90s for a truck that can't do anything truck like... Ouch.

Dusten

Established Member
You can put a dirt bike in a sy
But a Lightning is no worse than any other 2WD 97-04 RCSB F150. Where as the Sy loses some of its capabilities compared with regular V6 S10's.
Yes it is.

Tow rating of lightning - 5000lbs
Tow rating of 4x2 rcsb with 3.73 gears - 8800

Bed capacity
Lightning - 500lbs
4x2 - 2000lbs

This is from ford's own book

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
You can put a dirt bike in a sy

Yes it is.

Tow rating of lightning - 5000lbs
Tow rating of 4x2 rcsb with 3.73 gears - 8800

Bed capacity
Lightning - 500lbs
4x2 - 2000lbs

This is from ford's own book

Both are actually limited to 5,000lbs tow and 500lbs tongue weight from factory. The theoretical maximum tow capacity is only possible using an aftermarket w/d hitch with properly adjusted tension bars. Those sales brochures are misleading at best, deceptive at worst. The except below is directly from the 03 ford towing guide.

towing guide.JPG

There is absolutely nothing structurally in the chassis that prevents a lightning from towing the same as a plain jane f-150. The only technical reason for the lower capacity is the sport tires and cast al wheels.

Last edited:

Dusten

Established Member
Both are actually limited to 5,000lbs tow and 500lbs tongue weight from factory. The theoretical maximum tow capacity is only possible using an aftermarket w/d hitch with properly adjusted tension bars. Those sales brochures are misleading at best, deceptive at worst. The except below is directly from the 03 ford towing guide.

View attachment 53276

There is absolutely nothing structurally in the chassis that prevents a lightning from towing the same as a plain jane f-150. The only technical reason for the lower capacity is the sport tires and cast al wheels.

Thats weight carrying, not tow rating...

This is from the same manual you quoted...

Attachments

• towing.jpg
    towing.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 60

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Thats weight carrying, not tow rating...

This is from the same manual you quoted...

The weight carrying is the factory class III/IV hitch with no additional equipment. The limit is 5,000lbs as stated above.

Weight distributing hitches are aftermarket equipment (see below). Only with these can you achieve the max tow capacity. Which is why the additional capacity is listed in a different column.

faq065_hh_500.jpg

Just for kicks why don't you look at the sticker that is on your hitch. Again, it will state 500/5,000lb limit as it does on my 012 f-150. Like i said the brochure is deceptive at best, it also goes on to say that the max tow/payload capacities assume the driver weighs only 150lbs. :lol:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
"Loaded Trailer Weight assumes a towing
vehicle with any mandatory options, no cargo,
tongue load of 10-15% (conventional trailer) or
king pin weight of 15-25% (fifth-wheel trailer),
and driver only (150 pounds). Weight of
additional options, passengers, cargo and hitch
must be deducted from this weight."

Users who are viewing this thread