Lightning and Syclone

wayboarder

Established Member
So as a current lightning owner and huge fan of sport trucks in general I have decided it was time to add another truck to the stable. Im leaving in a few minutes to check out number 282 gmc syclone. 30k original miles. I would really like to hear my lightning brethrens opinion on those trucks. Ive only seen one in person and they are talked about like legends by all the Old guys I shoot the breeze with.

I wanna hear the opinions!:banana:

Yes! Im keeping the lightning. It goes no where!

frogsdime

Established Member
hell yea those trucks are bada!!. 4.3 turbo and all-wheel drive. Not to mention how light they are too.

Before i got my L i looked at these trucks and i actually found one and sat in it. It felt like going straight back to the early 90s.

Also there is a decent aftermarket for them too if you wanted to mod it. But they came out of the box low 13s so......

Molgan

Truck Driver
Established Member
I have both a Lightning and a GMC Typhoon and its very similar to a Syclone and i highly recomend you to get one. The boost launch with awd is killer. But it will be costly, its almost impossible not to uppgrade it over and over again.

todd abbott

Established Member
Add me to the list, at the risk of dating myself I drove one new from the dealer, very quick ride for an OEM piece-I remember being very surprised, after test driving a Grand National then trying this, the truck was quicker, my only concern is I've read once modding it's tough to keep the truck together but that's hearsay, if the truck is solid and a winner it would be just fine in my garage, side note- I bought neither I bought a new Mustang GT for 15K, and saved the extra 10k.

Last edited by a moderator:

lipt0n svTE

SVT ranch truck Operator
Established Member
I new a buddy with one was fast as hell reliability wasn't the best, but when it ran it was sweet, however i think it burned down on the side of the road driving from denver to sturgis..... : ( sweet trucks though

97cobra1

Established Member
My buddy had a Ty, reliability will all depend on the miles/condition/treatment of them. After mods start hitting (and trust me, they will) it goes down a bit. A Sy with that many miles shouldnt really have many issues but i wouldnt recommend it as a DD lol. Definitely jump on it though. My friend sold his and actually told the guy that he wouldn't bring it back here if he wanted to keep it because my friend would damn near offer anything to get it back. It's a sick truck, hella fun to drive, and one of those rare factory sleeper cars. I hold them in high regards, up there with a GN/GNX (though not quite as rare as a GNX). Hope you get it. You'll love it for sure.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my buddy had a typhoon which i almost bought. pretty damn fast for sure. and you can mod them to be beasts. his was in immaculate condition but still rattled like a mofo.

97cobra1

Established Member
^^ LOL. My buddies rattled like mad too, and it was super clean. Comes with age i guess. For as much fun as i had driving that car, i could deal with some rattles as long as things weren't falling off.

SVTxXxFreak6

TSAFE MOTHER****ER
Established Member
The Syclone is a beast, theres an old man in my neighborhood that has one, one of the few vehicles I would actually consider if I had lost the L.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Wonderful trucks. They will always be one of the best factory sport trucks evere made in my book.

I'd love to have another one. The only thing that sucks about them aside from being a GM is the cost of parts and simply finding them nowadays.

Mondo1

Established Member
Nice and quick. Unbelieveable launch, but very dated interior. Gauges looks like Nintendo made them. Its really an S-10 with a turbo and cool wheels and ground effects. A few turbo mads would easily get it into the 11's

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
:thumbsup:I've always liked them and the GN's.:pop:

Kinda plain looking compared to the L,but very sleepy and potent!!!

I know awhile back I saw a vid.on Streetfire of a Cyclone killing an L..........

Anyway,hope you buy it:beer:

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
Sweet trucks. The only bad thing I can say about them is that IMO, the interiors look pretty horrible as far as the dash peices go. Other than that, Im a huge fan of those and the Typhoons. They obviously hold value, its hard to find a deal on one thats not beat up and abused. Cant beat an AWD launch either... GO FOR IT!

wayboarder

Established Member
Well RIDE THE, I was actually in your neck of the woods to check it out. It was in fairfax and well, I gave the guy ten grand. Its in amazing shape, the cladding could have seen better days, interior was immaculate, in all the thing straight books. Im gonna have to get pictures though when I trailer it back down to newport news. A lightning pulling a Syclone, i think it will make a great picture. Just driving it around tonight turned a ton of heads, my truck used to get that kind of attention. Imagine the attention on the 160 mile trip home.

Anyone got a trailer local? haha

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Nice and quick. Unbelieveable launch, but very dated interior. Gauges looks like Nintendo made them. Its really an S-10 with a turbo and cool wheels and ground effects. A few turbo mads would easily get it into the 11's

lol. that's what i told my buddy. it felt like i was back in my old school 80s mini truck again. :bored:

personally, i think the cyclones look very dated. but the typhoons still look somewhat contemporary. i wouldnt be surprised if the typhoons hook better too because of the better weight distribution, but i know they do weigh a little more..

i thought the awd system would make it a handling beast. boy was i wrong! i took a circular freeway onramp too fast and lost it. went sideways and into the small curbing. jacked up the driver's side stock wheels pretty good. luckily he had an extra set that were in great condition. im still hearing about it to this day :bored:

Users who are viewing this thread