Lighter Crankshaft Damper Power Gain? Need Help w Power Goal

Blacksmoke

Established Member
Hey everyone.

Mods so far are pulley, CAI, and tune.
Next week I'm ordering a AFCO dual fan heat exchanger, and putting in a 170* thermostat with upgraded tanks.

I was at 530 hp with the CAI, pulley, and tune.
I'm expecting the cooling mods to show better numbers.
How much would one usually see from this?

Also..I can't afford a new blower setp right now, and my goal for this car is only
About 600rwhp.

How much would I gain from a custom light weight crankshaft damper?
They are pretty expensive, but if they can give me a good jump ill probably put one in this spring or summer.

At 530rwhp now, the cooling mods going in for a little extra number, THEN if I did the lightweight damper, about where would I be sitting at?

Thanks!

Last edited:

blackvette101

Established Member
you need an overdrive balancer that spins the blower faster, an X-pipe and a throttle body and you will have to port the blower to hit 600. I think most only get around 580 with the above mods without porting.

The above mods will cost what a VMP TVS kit cost's if you can't do the labor yourself. And will not deliver the same power

stock blower route isn't that great. I'm going down that road personally. As of Wednesday i'm probably going to have one of the highest hp stock blower cars in the country and I still won't even make what a TVS does wit basic supporting mods. And I have $8k in engine parts alone. Only reason I did it was because I was bored and everything I did (except the ported blower/plenum) will be used to make ridiculous power once I swap blowers.

Last edited:

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Im @ 601RWHP/605RWTQ w/ the following mods, Steeda 2.7 upper pulley, Steeda 114 CAI, ATI 10% lower pulley, ARH 17/8 headers and catted H, FRPP 65 twin TB, dyno tune and stock cooling system.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
you need an overdrive balancer that spins the blower faster, an X-pipe and a throttle body and you will have to port the blower to hit 600. I think most only get around 580 with the above mods without porting.

The above mods will cost what a VMP TVS kit cost's if you can't do the labor yourself. And will not deliver the same power

stock blower route isn't that great. I'm going down that road personally. As of Wednesday i'm probably going to have one of the highest hp stock blower cars in the country and I still won't even make what a TVS does wit basic supporting mods. And I have $8k in engine parts alone. Only reason I did it was because I was bored and everything I did (except the ported blower/plenum) will be used once I swap blowers.

This is the route I've taken also, on the plus side once I put on a TVS I should be making about 700 RWHP.

blackvette101

Established Member
Im @ 601RWHP/605RWTQ w/ the following mods, Steeda 2.7 upper pulley, Steeda 114 CAI, ATI 10% lower pulley, ARH 17/8 headers and catted H, FRPP 65 twin TB, dyno tune and stock cooling system.

those are great power numbers for your mods. I usually see people put down those numbers with the same mods and a ported blower. Makes me excited to see what I put down wednesday.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Thanks.

How much gain will the lighter crankshaft damper give me?

Depends if you are going w/ a 10 or 15% lower? The 10% lower is good for about 3-4 PSI and about 30RWHP/50RWTQ, the 15% lower is good for about 4-5 PSI and 40RWHP/60RWTQ. How small is your upper pulley? You don't want to overspin the blower, I'm very happy w/ my 10% lower and 2.7 upper combo.

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member

Try making those #s back to back. I would def recommend upgrading your HE. My car fell on it face after a few pulls when I had no cooling mods.

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
Hey everyone.

Mods so far are pulley, CAI, and tune.
Next week I'm ordering a AFCO dual fan heat exchanger, and putting in a 170* thermostat with upgraded tanks.

I was at 530 hp with the CAI, pulley, and tune.
I'm expecting the cooling mods to show better numbers.
How much would one usually see from this?

Also..I can't afford a new blower setp right now, and my goal for this car is only
About 600rwhp.

How much would I gain from a custom light weight crankshaft damper?
They are pretty expensive, but if they can give me a good jump ill probably put one in this spring or summer.

At 530rwhp now, the cooling mods going in for a little extra number, THEN if I did the lightweight damper, about where would I be sitting at?

Thanks!

Cooling mods wont give you more power they prevent your car from losing it.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Try making those #s back to back. I would def recommend upgrading your HE. My car fell on it face after a few pulls when I had no cooling mods.

The car actually had more in it and that's exactly what happened, it started getting hotter after each pull and wouldn't make any more power.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
If it is not a bigger pulley to spin the blower faster it will give you almost nothing

^ This, if you are just going w/ the 08 lower you won't see any difference other than the reduced rotational mass, now if you are going w/ an ATI or IW 10-15% lower you will see a huge gain in low end tq and a nice HP boost.

Blacksmoke

Established Member
Cooling mods wont give you more power they prevent your car from losing it.

I realize this. I even posted that in my first statement of questions.
But on a dyno it can easily show bigger numbers since you won't be losing the power due to heat, am I not correct?
And in the real world if stock you are losing power pretty much every day due to heat, it's almost the same thing as gaining power, if you can't use the full power the vehicle has...it really doesn't exist till you fix the problem correct?

Blacksmoke

Established Member
^ This, if you are just going w/ the 08 lower you won't see any difference other than the reduced rotational mass, now if you are going w/ an ATI or IW 10-15% lower you will see a huge gain in low end tq and a nice HP boost.

That's what I said...the upgraded lower, not the replacement for the 07.
My car is an 08...it already has the 08 damper.

I'm wondering what kind of number gains the upgraded 10-15%
Would give me. "Huge" is a relative number lol!

So what kind of gains would I see in terms of numbers?
Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Blacksmoke

Established Member
Depends if you are going w/ a 10 or 15% lower? The 10% lower is good for about 3-4 PSI and about 30RWHP/50RWTQ, the 15% lower is good for about 4-5 PSI and 40RWHP/60RWTQ. How small is your upper pulley? You don't want to overspin the blower, I'm very happy w/ my 10% lower and 2.7 upper combo.

My upper is a 2.6
Would a 15 be too much for me and I need to go 10%?

blackvette101

Established Member
That's what I said...the upgraded lower, not the replacement for the 07.
My car is an 08...it already has the 08 damper.

I'm wondering what kind of number gains the upgraded 10-15%
Would give me. "Huge" is a relative number lol!

So what kind of gains would I see in terms of numbers?
Thanks everyone for the input so far!

what size upper do you have and do you plan on porting the blower. the MP122 will only make power to a certain rpm. At a certain point on a unported blower adding a lower may only add torque and very little hp. If you have a 2.5 upper then you will not gain much hp if you have a 2.7 then you may gain as much as 40 hp.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I would recommend just sticking with the 08 balancer. If you want more power at a low cost get a tvs. Since the cost of ati or others cost like 700 plus you can get a tvs for about 1500 an get double the power without over spinning the stock blower.

Blacksmoke

Established Member
I would recommend just sticking with the 08 balancer. If you want more power at a low cost get a tvs. Since the cost of ati or others cost like 700 plus you can get a tvs for about 1500 an get double the power without over spinning the stock blower.

Wouldn't I need new injectors also then, if I did a TVS?
Wouldn't I also HAVE to do suspension upgrades then?

You really risk messing up the stock setup with a 10 or 15% damper?
Even the ten?

Oh ps..
If I did get a TVS, how much scratch do you think I can sell the stock blower and everything the TVS replaces for ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread