Light weight 8.8 axles - hollow available?

twistedneck

Established Member
I am about to re-build my axles trying to take some weight out. Of course i'll get the gear lightened up but is there a hollow set of 31 splines that are strong enough for drag racing?

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Gotcha. Since you mentioned that the ones a friend had were 40 splines for a 9". Just assumed they'd be available.

CPRsm

Yeah mine were fun drilled also @ 40. I don't think strange does them at 35. Maaayyyybe Moser does, but I could be totally off base.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
As it was mentioned typically you don't gun drill until around 35 spline.

There isn't a ton of material to remove on a 31 spline to make it worthwhile

brady_f

Established Member
Yeah mine were fun drilled also @ 40. I don't think strange does them at 35. Maaayyyybe Moser does, but I could be totally off base.

Moser gun drilled my 35 splines, however that's the lowest spline count they offer it on from what I understand.

twistedneck

Established Member
Hmm... I'm very new to 8.8 - My plan is to purchase the Detroit True Track and put a wicked light set of axles on. I assume that truetrack is only good for the facory 31 spline setup? more splines = larger axle diameter?

At work we make tubular torsion bars, however that's not gun drilled its seamless tube and very expensive.

Turd Fergusen

Established Member
Hmm... I'm very new to 8.8 - My plan is to purchase the Detroit True Track and put a wicked light set of axles on. I assume that truetrack is only good for the facory 31 spline setup? more splines = larger axle diameter?

They have a 33 spline truetrac, don't know about a 35

twistedneck

Established Member
If you aren't dragging it I'm sure you could go down to 28 spline and be just fine
Great plan IF I was not going to drag it.. however my cousin Kelley runs all the grudge events at Milan Dragway in Michigan and I am required to race there at least 2-3 times per year. So far I've only toasted one rear end. So I probably need something at least as strong as factory 31?

They have a 33 spline truetrac, don't know about a 35
33 spline Truetrack! sounds good IF I could get them drilled or hollow, if not, would you agree the 31 spline true track for 8.8 would be light and ideal? obviously the 28 spline mentioned by CPR is the lightest option but I can see that getting punished a bit with slicks and a manual trans!

I'm gonna do 31 spline axles with lightweight spool (already have REM'd lightened 4:88s) and brakes. Will drop around 50lbs total.
REM is cool I am going to ask JPC to do mine, and also lighten the ring and pinion, but I've been told the 3.15 that i'm putting back in does not offer up much for light weighting.

Is there anything we can do to make the housing lighter? such as a carbon fiber carrier or something like that? Merc F1 uses a carbon fiber one, with a slide in cassette with the gears, however Williams F1 still use aluminum. does anyone make an aluminum 8.8?

Any other ideas to improve the rear end appreciated. Light and strong = accelerates and brakes better, that's what i'm after. And when my 401k loan comes in, a CPR turbo optimized with a mountain of cooling and no lag, huge AR, etc..

SCalla1384

Established Member
Ceramic bearings. Free up a lot of friction loss. That with REM polish/lightened ring and pinion

http://www.performancebearing.com/dragracing.html

I didn't get a chance to weigh, but my Moser 31 spline axles felt lighter than my stock did. Also, if I remember right I could of sworn I emailed strange a year or so ago, and they told me they would gun drill at 33 spline. May want to shoot them an email.

twistedneck

Established Member
Ceramic bearings. Free up a lot of friction loss. That with REM polish/lightened ring and pinion

http://www.performancebearing.com/dragracing.html

I didn't get a chance to weigh, but my Moser 31 spline axles felt lighter than my stock did. Also, if I remember right I could of sworn I emailed strange a year or so ago, and they told me they would gun drill at 33 spline. May want to shoot them an email.

Damn, those are great ideas Scalla1384!!

Ceramic bearings - of course! I should have said - strong, light, and low friction.

The question for Strange would be - is the hollow 33 spline lighter than the 31 spline? I assume its stronger. This research on the S197 is never ending! I love it.

---------------------
Pinion Bearing - Ceramic - Ford 8.8

PN:pB0052K $779.16

---------------------
For what I've read about Ceramic bearings, this is great bang for the buck. I should ask Liberty to throw some of those in the MT82 when the re-do it.

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
Wow I didn't think the bearing would be that much.

I would think about having the transmission gears rem polished, not sure if lightened on them is the best idea, but it could be. Gears/shafts atleast REM polish will also free up some friction loss. That matched with some ceramic bearings... you'd have a VERY efficient car with not a whole lot of drivetrain loss.

hitmix300

Established Member
Damn, those are great ideas Scalla1384!!

Ceramic bearings - of course! I should have said - strong, light, and low friction.

The question for Strange would be - is the hollow 33 spline lighter than the 31 spline? I assume its stronger. This research on the S197 is never ending! I love it.

---------------------

PN:pB0052K $779.16

---------------------
For what I've read about Ceramic bearings, this is great bang for the buck. I should ask Liberty to throw some of those in the MT82 when the re-do it.

You're willing to pay 13x the cost for that bearing?

You guys are crazy. I would add 1psi to make up for the cost lol.

twistedneck

Established Member
You're willing to pay 13x the cost for that bearing?

You guys are crazy. I would add 1psi to make up for the cost lol.

hold on here hitmix300, I've heard some amazing things about these bearings and a lot of wicked high dollar builds insist on them - think race cars. yea, that sounds insanely expensive but what else will make the S197 more efficient along with the REM polishing and gear light weighting? a stout 31 spine set of axles.. I was wondering about the transmission bearings next.

Users who are viewing this thread