Lifting car from Rhino Ramps

pridemore54

Established Member
Looking for a sanity check here.

My cobra is slightly lowered, has side skirts, and sub frame connectors. So I can't get a floor jack under the subframe connectors while it's still flat on the ground.

For raising the rear end, how bad of an idea is it to reverse onto my Rhino ramps, chock the front wheels both front and back on each tire, then lift the rear end up further off the ramps to get jack stands under the subframe connectors?

Not sure if that seems totally fine, or if I'm begging for trouble doing it that way. I used to have access to proper lifts back in the day so I have only had to use floor jacks rarely until now.

Last edited:

pridemore54

Established Member
Can't you just drive the front up on a 2x8 (couple 2x4's, etc), to raise the car 1-1/2", then proceed with a jack?
Forgot to mention I'm raising the rear for this job but yeah that's a good point.

Now I feel stupid cause I actually bought some horse stall mat from Tractor Supply that I cut up and stack as needed in offset layers to drive the front up to get the oil change done. Doesn't move around or clatter like wood likes to.

Guess I was thinking one directional cause I've grown used to just reversing up the ramps to do most of what I need lol.

Although I'm still curious if anyone does it that way incase the need ever arises.

LS WUT

Established Member
Can't you just drive the front up on a 2x8 (couple 2x4's, etc), to raise the car 1-1/2", then proceed with a jack?
I’d say a no on the Rhino Ramps. I normally make my own 2x8 pieces of wood. Shave down one side so I can drive into it easier for front and rear. I do this especially on my GT500 due to its 3 piece front splitter.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
outside of not knowing the jacking points on an IRS I would say it seems fine. I ended up buying a set of the rhino ramps little pullup ramps that are only a couple inches tall so I can get a jack under the car. I was using boards but they slip on the coated garage floor

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I always drove on a small piece of 2x6 wood for more clearance.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

muscleatsrice

Established Member
I made some ramps out of wood I had laying around. Work great for me, and didn’t really cost me anything.
IMG_1180.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I'm about to make some small ramps to drive up on so I can jack this car up. I've had this car up and down probably 20 times in the last 3 weeks. Jacking one side up at a time is getting to be a massive PITA.

phil a

Established Member
buy quickjacks

Found a used set about 30mins away from me, seller cut a hundred off and I’ve never had the desire to use a floor jack since

I keep them under the car and slide each outward when it’s time to go up

I thought I’d hate not being able to slide in from the sides but this just beats the hell out of driving onto wood, playing the back-and-forth game to get it up on four stands

My $0.02

Phil

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Found a used set about 30mins away from me, seller cut a hundred off and I’ve never had the desire to use a floor jack since

I keep them under the car and slide each outward when it’s time to go up

I thought I’d hate not being able to slide in from the sides but this just beats the hell out of driving onto wood, playing the back-and-forth game to get it up on four stands

My $0.02

Phil
my damed car is a hair too low to put em in the middle and drive over them...damnit

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Really? I'd imagine it's a pain to drive anywhere then because the qj is already really low profile
The 7k lb ones are like 3.5”. I wasn’t thinking about the fact that the tires I’m currently on are about a .5” shorter than what I should be running (Covid bs, took what I could find). So maaaybe I could with the right tires. Weld in subframe connectors are the lowest point for me

If I can’t lift my truck as well, I’m not doing it

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
The 7k lb ones are like 3.5”. I wasn’t thinking about the fact that the tires I’m currently on are about a .5” shorter than what I should be running (Covid bs, took what I could find). So maaaybe I could with the right tires. Weld in subframe connectors are the lowest point for me

If I can’t lift my truck as well, I’m not doing it
ahh true, I have the 5k pound ones. But I just went to double check mine and it'll be clooooossee on my cars

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ahh true, I have the 5k pound ones. But I just went to double check mine and it'll be clooooossee on my cars
Ya they might be 3”. Parts of these cars are lower than ya think. Wish I woulda pulled the trigger when they were 1200 and not 1500+

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Ya they might be 3”. Parts of these cars are lower than ya think. Wish I woulda pulled the trigger when they were 1200 and not 1500+
my 04 is still stock height so it probably won't be as much of a problem. My vette on the other hand, she's a gonna be interesting. I went crazy and bought race ramps and quickjacks. I couldn't take pieces of wood and sketchy jacks anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread