lifter noise?

99cobra302

Established Member
we got my motor all set in the car and running tonight after not running for the last 2.5 months. my question is how much noise it to much, it had noisy lifters when i was running the 99 heads with stock valvetrain and with the FR500 heads with 04 cobra valvetrain it still makes lifter noise...(maybe its lash adjusters....either way, its noisy)

is this normal for these DOHC motors? i only drove my car 3 weeks before the oil pump blew up the first time, and that is pretty much my entire experience with this motor. my last mustang was a 04 GT

EDIT: is it possible that because its a 302 stroker with 10.5:1 compression that it sounds like that?

i dont want to say it sounds like a diesel motor because it is not that bad, but it has that same type of sound.

Last edited:

Lumpydogs

Established Member
It's hard to understand how much noise you are hearing. My stock 01 Cobra came from the factory with significant "ticking". I used to joke that it was my little sewing machine engine, because that's sort of what it sounds like.

The ticking sound never got any worse or better, so I would say that moderate lifter/valve noise is normal. In comparison, I have never heard any of my other engines make this same noise. Hopefully this is all you are hearing.

I hope this helps.

99cobra302

Established Member
It's hard to understand how much noise you are hearing. My stock 01 Cobra came from the factory with significant "ticking". I used to joke that it was my little sewing machine engine, because that's sort of what it sounds like.

The ticking sound never got any worse or better, so I would say that moderate lifter/valve noise is normal. In comparison, I have never heard any of my other engines make this same noise. Hopefully this is all you are hearing.

I hope this helps.

that is exacly as my friend describred it. lol! ok this makes me feel a bit better!!

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I had that little ticking sound too, I swapped to synthetic oil and never heard it again. Also, a forged motor is a little louder due to the aluminum. If it goes away after warming up, it's the forged components heating and expanding in the bores.

99cobra302

Established Member
I had that little ticking sound too, I swapped to synthetic oil and never heard it again. Also, a forged motor is a little louder due to the aluminum. If it goes away after warming up, it's the forged components heating and expanding in the bores.

i am running synthetic oil. Mobile1 10w30, i probably should have run regular dino oil as a first start oil, but this is getting changed out in 500-650 miles anyway. i will try putting some valvoline syn-power in there and see if that changes anything

it does quiet down a little after warming up, but it still sounds like a sewing machine. and its not like the noise is coming from one spot on one of the heads, its coming from both of the heads all over.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Our valve train is noisier than say a single cam engine. Some injectors make more ticking noises than others as well.

bent99

Established Member
my 01 was purchased with 8014 miles in august with connecting rod bearings all over the bottom of the oilpan. I never owned a modular let alone a 32 valve modular powered mustang before. So long story short I installed a new rotating assm. from d.s.s .020 over and all forged along with the unnecessary main girdle and billet melling oilpump (at my stock power level) . You described my engine sound exactly with the diesely sound but not full on diesel. I have since put the odometer to just under 10k and nothing sounds worse or better for that matter and the car runs perfect. I even put a manual guage for oil pressure to make me feeel better. Run that cobra!

99cobra302

Established Member
my 01 was purchased with 8014 miles in august with connecting rod bearings all over the bottom of the oilpan. I never owned a modular let alone a 32 valve modular powered mustang before. So long story short I installed a new rotating assm. from d.s.s .020 over and all forged along with the unnecessary main girdle and billet melling oilpump (at my stock power level) . You described my engine sound exactly with the diesely sound but not full on diesel. I have since put the odometer to just under 10k and nothing sounds worse or better for that matter and the car runs perfect. I even put a manual guage for oil pressure to make me feeel better. Run that cobra!

all this assurance that im not the only one makes me feel better. i have some autometer cobalt gauges going in for water temp and oil pressure just to make sure everything is good under the hood. until i get conformation from a real gauge that the pressure is good i am still going to be curious about it.

i have the sender for the oil pressure put into a good spot and all i need now is a suggestion on where to put the water temp sender

Users who are viewing this thread