Lifelock

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Does anyone use their services? Or a similar brand? Just looking for other ways to keep myself protected as much as you can nowadays against identity theft.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I thought about it once, but decided against it as I haven't had any problems. I just monitor my credit regularly with credit karma.

ssssnake

Established Member
I opened an account in my husband's name when I thought his SSN was compromised. I thought they were pretty good. I monitor all my stuff very closely, so I don't use it.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I got 90 days of life lock for free from work when someone ****ed up and emailed people's info across our network. It's legit.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
used it ever since the whole anthem blue cross debacle... only one ding so far and it was to someone trying to sell my email with the wrong password associated with it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I got 90 days of life lock for free from work when someone ****ed up and emailed people's info across our network. It's legit.

The bad guys are getting pretty savvy. I read a report that they know that companies that provide service like LifeLock only do it for a certain length of time. So they steal your financial and personal data, wait for the coverage to end, and then use/sell the stolen data. So IMO enroll when the free protection ends and keep it active. Also, it's smart to still monitor your financial accounts (credit card, banks, etc.) and set set suspicious activity alerts. Being proactive is smart.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
The bad guys are getting pretty savvy. I read a report that they know that companies that provide service like LifeLock only do it for a certain length of time. So they steal your financial and personal data, wait for the coverage to end, and then use/sell the stolen data. So IMO enroll when the free protection ends and keep it active. Also, it's smart to still monitor your financial accounts (credit card, banks, etc.) and set set suspicious activity alerts. Being proactive is smart.

I appreciate the heads up, Bob.

oldmodman

Established Member
The easiest way to really protect yourself is to file a fraud alert every three months on all three credit reporting agencies.

They are required to do a 90 day one for free. But if you want to make it one year or even permanent they are allowed to charge you.

I just leave a reminder that pops up on my computer on the exact day it is due to expire. Then I just file another, for free.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I've looked at the stock before but not the service. Credit theft seems to be over hyped by the industry which caters to preventing it. "1 in 3...,1 in 4" I don't even think I know anyone who has had it happen to them and I know a lot of people.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I've had lifelock for several years with zero problems. Good service. You get a discount if you are an NRA member

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I've been a member since 2010 and it is a solid service.

Satyr

Established Member
I have TrustedID. At the time I looked, LifeLock didn't offer a service that also covered against insurance fraud. I'm not sure if that's still true. They automatically pull your free credit reports each year (which you can get on your own, but it makes it convenient), and you get your credit score every month or so (also, not really a big deal if you're a Discover member, as they do that for free).

Fraud alerts from the three bureaus are the best and safest method, but they make it a HUGE pain to get your credit checked for anything. So, if you intend to buy a house/car, get a CC or do anything else that requires a credit approval, I would advise against the fraud alert. BTW, you can also submit those through TrustedID, and they'll tell you when they're set to expire, if you so choose.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Did you go to Lifelock site? If so, that is why you see an ad.

wht93gted

Established Member
I had looked into lifelock.

What I gathered is that it doesn't prevent or protect you from anything. It merely tells you when someone has stolen your identity OR it thinks someone has.

I agree, being informed immediately is important so you can rectify the situation as quickly as possible, but why should I pay a company to do this when I can just take a little time and monitor things myself?

I have all kinds of alerts setup with my banks, and using other 3rd party financial tracking software, can monitor all my other accounts and alert me with any activity.

Satyr

Established Member
I had looked into lifelock.

What I gathered is that it doesn't prevent or protect you from anything. It merely tells you when someone has stolen your identity OR it thinks someone has.

I agree, being informed immediately is important so you can rectify the situation as quickly as possible, but why should I pay a company to do this when I can just take a little time and monitor things myself?

I have all kinds of alerts setup with my banks, and using other 3rd party financial tracking software, can monitor all my other accounts and alert me with any activity.

The one thing that many of these companies do provide, however, is insurance against identity theft. Additionally, some of the companies make it easy to have all your CC's, health insurance, bank accounts and investment accounts located in one area; that, along with watching you SSN, email addresses and physical addresses makes the review process much more concise than watching them independently. Though, if you're committed to doing it, you definitely could keep an eye on things by yourself (but you'd still not be getting the insurance).

Users who are viewing this thread