Lexus ls400, thoughts?

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Checkout reddit or a lexus forum. There’s some things you’ll want to lookout for when it comes to the LS. It seems like they’re pretty reliable overall, but when something does break it gets real expensive, real fast. Good luck.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My daughter used to own an LS400. I think she had it for 4 years. This was back in the late '90s. No issues. She loved that car.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Looking at one. My friends dad has 8, yes 8... He loves them and needs to sell a few to downsize. All are from 98-00.

All of em are in great condition.

Pros and cons?

Sent from my motorola one 5G using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I’d be interested in one. They are great vehicles, the 1uzfe is top notch and in those years have vvti, came with 290hp and a 5spd auto.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The LS400 is best damn 1980's S-Class ever built. They are pretty much bullet proof and feel like they are built from a solid billet.
The LS400 is also the reason why Mercedes Benz went from building the best car money could buy to trying to build the best car at a price point.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
The Lexus LS400 turned the automotive world upsidedown when they were first released. They were so much better than the competition that it send most of the luxury car makers back to the drawing board. I'm not sure I would buy a 25 year old Lexus today. The competion has caught up and you will inevitably deal with problems that any old car will have. I can only imagine that some of the parts are getting hard to find, especially OEM parts.

jmsa540

Established Member
Well said
The Lexus LS400 turned the automotive world upsidedown when they were first released. They were so much better than the competition that it send most of the luxury car makers back to the drawing board. I'm not sure I would buy a 25 year old Lexus today. The competion has caught up and you will inevitably deal with problems that any old car will have. I can only imagine that some of the parts are getting hard to find, especially OEM parts.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
You’d be surprised about the parts, I’ve found parts for my 93 Camry on toyotapartsdeal.com and at the dealer with no issues.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've got an LS430, the issues it has are minor and it's been crazy solid.

I paid $4400 for it with like 134K on the clock. I can't see myself "upgrading" because it's as nice as a mid 2010s fusion or something, that rides better and is quieter.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I've got an LS430, the issues it has are minor and it's been crazy solid.

I paid $4400 for it with like 134K on the clock. I can't see myself "upgrading" because it's as nice as a mid 2010s fusion or something, that rides better and is quieter.
It would be nice to see those prices again. Everything is at least double what it was last year. I keep waiting for the bottom to fall out on these prices but it doesn’t seem like they are going anywhere but up still.

jmsa540

Established Member
Update: 2000 ls 400. 99.6k miles. 2 owner. Asking $9065. Timing belt was done at 57k miles. How are the transmissions in these? Thoughts on price?
IMG_20220208_133818192_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20220208_133347052_HDR.jpeg
IMG_0367.jpeg
IMG_0361.jpeg
IMG_0364.jpeg
IMG_0359.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread