Let's talk wheelhop...

Craig99SVT

Went to the Dark Side
Established Member
First off, I'm looking at getting an 03/04 cobra and I used to have a 99' cobra. No matter what I did to the 99' (replaced half shafts, steeda bushings under rearend, 12 way adjustable hal shocks, drag radials....no matter I did, the wheelhop never went away and I hated it. It did get somewhat better but maybe only 30% or so.

What I what to know is... how is it on the newer cobras? Has it gone away? Is it a problem anymore, especially with all the new horsepower? Tell me what you think about your cars and what you did to help it if anything. Thanks.

So, let's talk wheelhop.....

ghostrydyr

Established Member
OK

My car didn't really have wheel hop till I added hp and tq. I ran my car stock and with the 2.8 pulley and it was incredibly hard to launch it with added power (pulley). It would hop like crazy. I hear the bushings, stiffer coil springs and sticky tires helps a lot. One of my friends have an 01 Cobra and wheel hop is a bigger problem for him, just like you nothing has worked so far.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

some cars are bad, others aren't. basically we still have wheel hop. pick your suspension mods and bushings wisely and you will basically eliminate it. mine really doesn't have any at all. the only time I get it is at the track when I do my dry burnout to clean the tires. I haven't gotten into changing the bushings yet, but I will eventually. all I have is springs and tomorrow will have full length subframes. test drive the car you want to buy and see how bad it is. also different tires work as well. so really the solution hasn't changed from what you did before, but pick the right combo and you should be in good shape.

toofast4u has great write ups and info. he has basically every bushing in the rear replaced.

florida03

Banned
Same here, when my car was stock I had none, zero.
Turned up the wick a bit and they hop hard. I thought
the Nittos would help alittle but it got somewhat worse.
I know alot of members here have had it resloved so
its just a matter of time.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I've found that getting the rear to fishtail a little eliminates wheel hop altogether. It's really easy. Romp on the gas and pull the front wheel a little and voilla, instant fishing. Steer into the fishtail and you're off. :thumbsup:

Craig99SVT

Went to the Dark Side
Established Member
well if not many people are even experiencing it, then it must have pretty much be fixed.

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
I had to install HBH 8way adjustable shocks(specially made for the 03 Cobra), IRS bushings and aluminum diff bushings, 14mm bolts before the hop when totally away. The shocks helped the most

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Craig99SVT
well if not many people are even experiencing it, then it must have pretty much be fixed.

It's not, believe you me. The new terminators are wheel hop central, especially with mods. IRS bushings are supposed to cure 90% of the problem though. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread