Lets talk Header Choice

Blaine

Established Member
There are quite a few LT Header choices for the GT500. But which size is better for what applications? Which brand did you go with and any problems? Sound quality?

A. 1 3/4 or 1 7/8?

B. All of them are Stainless steel, but only ONE brand comes with a Ceramic Coating. Is this really needed to keep the underhood temps down on a GT500?

ARH LT
Kooks LT
Bassani LT
Dynotech LT
SLP LT
Borla LT
JBA LT

mustarrosa

Established Member
I have American Racing and is a good compromise for installation ease and they stand behind the product..I developed a hole at the head flange and a few clarifying questions sent out a full replacement side. I have the 3 inch size. HPP racing did the install.

2Sharpie

Established Member
Directly from American Racing when I was inquiring the same:

......."The undercarriage was not changed on the 2010 Shelby’s. Our headers are a direct fit. We can have the headers ceramic coated but it really is not necessary. There’s no under hood temp issues or corrosion problems to worry about with the 304 S/S we use. Call me when you’re ready and I’ll get you all set up. Thanks for inquiring

It appears a lot of the other companies use 409 s/s (and don't mention anywhere what type they use) which isn't as good...and necessitates the need for ceramic coating. I've read nothing but great things about the fit, installation, and quality of ARH.....which is what I'm going with for my Shelby, along with the KR axle-back. But I believe unless you're gonna mod the hell outta your Shelby, 1 3/4" is the way to go.

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
I am shooting for around 700-750 rwhp. 1 7/8 headers will be the better choice for me at that power lvl I believe.

cbrmuscle

Established Member
I had SLP's on my GT and loved them, installer said they were pretty easy to work with as well.

chimazo

Established Member
Just about done installing 1 7/8 Dynotech's w/3" catted x-pipe.

IMG_0517.jpg

manOwar

Established Member
I'm glad you all have choices now... I did my Kooks 1 3/4 before anyone else had their's built!! The kooks on a lowered car is the way to go IMO... clearance is not an issue.... Just wish I'd waited to 1 7/8....

2003 Silver

Banned
Just about done installing 1 7/8 Dynotech's w/3" catted x-pipe.

IMG_0517.jpg

Exactly what I have....you'll love 'em!

I'm glad you all have choices now... I did my Kooks 1 3/4 before anyone else had their's built!! The kooks on a lowered car is the way to go IMO... clearance is not an issue.... Just wish I'd waited to 1 7/8....

Swap 'em out brother...let that bad boy exhale lol!!

cobra1718

Established Member
+1 I have had my Kooks for over a year Love them with no issues :beer:

EX1

Established Member
I have the JBA LTs. EXCELLENT customer service on their part. They have a good reputation and are actually cheaper than a lot of the other headers without sacrificing quality.

chimazo

Established Member
Forget waterboarding, we should get information by having terrorists install LT's on a GT500. You are not kidding about skin being left behind! Several times I almost left my sanity behind, too! :cuss:

Installing LT's on jackstands completely by yourself is not for the faint of heart. I didn't even have to drop the K-frame, touch the motor mounts, or jack up the engine and it was still a huge PITA. I'll post some pics of the install if I can finish up the damn thing this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread