Let's talk golf carts

nickf2005

Established Member
I'm entertaining the idea of picking up an "off-road" golf cart for around the property. Would be used on about 20 acres that consists of gravel drives, farmland, and flat woodland. I'd like to spend <$3,500. No, I'm not spending $10,000+ on a full-blown UTV. Hauling is not really necessary as I have a tractor and a truck. I want a 4-passenger with the rear flip-seat. I'll mainly be using it to cruise around with my family/buddies with a beverage in hand.

Outside of scouring the buggy/cart forums, which I'm starting to do, what else can any of you clue me in on as I search? From what I can gather, gas is the way to go on either a EZGO or Club Car. Any other areas of criteria I should be looking at? Yamaha brand worth entertaining? Any hidden gems?

It may be a long shot that many here are well-versed, but I figured I'd give it a shot before signing up for (yet another) forum.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
1. either of the major brands will be fine. (Including Yamaha)
2. For what you are telling me I'd go gas and not electric.

josephcostello

Established Member
My dad just picked up an electric one with the seats facing back that fold down flat for $550 from a public auction. Its for his 5 acre property so not as big as yours but they can be had for cheap at those auctions.

sleek98

Established Member
I have a 2006 Yamaha. Get a GAS, you will not be happy with an electric if you have any hills.

I paid 3k for mine used with a rear seat, changed the oil and put new tires on it for another couple hundred.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I'm entertaining the idea of picking up an "off-road" golf cart for around the property. Would be used on about 20 acres that consists of gravel drives, farmland, and flat woodland. I'd like to spend <$3,500. No, I'm not spending $10,000+ on a full-blown UTV. Hauling is not really necessary as I have a tractor and a truck. I want a 4-passenger with the rear flip-seat. I'll mainly be using it to cruise around with my family/buddies with a beverage in hand.

Outside of scouring the buggy/cart forums, which I'm starting to do, what else can any of you clue me in on as I search? From what I can gather, gas is the way to go on either a EZGO or Club Car. Any other areas of criteria I should be looking at? Yamaha brand worth entertaining? Any hidden gems?

It may be a long shot that many here are well-versed, but I figured I'd give it a shot before signing up for (yet another) forum.

Picked up a used EZGO a couple years back for pretty much the exact same use you are describing. Paid $2k for it if I remember correctly already lifted with pretty new tires. Definitely go gas...Eventually you will want it lifted but that's not terribly expensive and pretty easy to do yourself so if you found a smoking deal on a conventional height one I'd snag it...Everybody I know with one has an EZGO and I know of nobody that's had any trouble with them...

I'd check the local paper/craigslist and if you have a local golf cart/small engine repair shop. Might get lucky...

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Should be doable for that price.
I just saw an ad for a pair of mid-90's Yamaha gas powered golf carts for $2,500.
And in another ad a 2007 Yamaha gas powered cart for $2,700.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
My sister has a beater Yamaha gas and it gets treat like it's a full blown UTV around her 40 acres. Only mod is more aggressive tires and cut fiberglass in the back so the tire wouldn't rub. That thing has been put through hell and is still going.

Steve@Tasca

My dad has a gas powered EZGO that we've been using at the track to get around for years, the thing has been bulletproof.

Ours has had the governor "tweaked" a little, normally they're restricted to something like 12 mph but both my son and I have seen 24 mph using a speedometer app on our phones when driving alone. Clearly one of the faster carts at the track because we pass people constantly. Kind of fun really.

-Steve

nickf2005

Established Member
Thanks for the info so far guys. There's a lot of them out there, it just comes down to being patient and finding a deal. I'll probably stick to EZGO, Yamaha, or CC. Leaning towards the first two.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Thanks for the info so far guys. There's a lot of them out there, it just comes down to being patient and finding a deal. I'll probably stick to EZGO, Yamaha, or CC. Leaning towards the first two.

IMO Yamaha > EZGO. I've been playing golf for 25yrs and the well worn EZGO's I've ran across always seen to have slopped out steering and that's just from actual golf course use.

nickf2005

Established Member
IMO Yamaha > EZGO. I've been playing golf for 25yrs and the well worn EZGO's I've ran across always seen to have slopped out steering and that's just from actual golf course use.

That's good to know. Seems as though the Yamaha prices are better than EZGO, generally.

Blown 89

Established Member
My dad and I have a 1950's gas powered Kushman we're getting ready to restore. It'd be cool to go the antique route as there are a ton of forums with people that are unhealthily obsessed with these things.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
If you lived in my part of Florida you'd be SET! It's a buyers market around here so many stores that sell golf carts exclusively..

nickf2005

Established Member
My dad and I have a 1950's gas powered Kushman we're getting ready to restore. It'd be cool to go the antique route as there are a ton of forums with people that are unhealthily obsessed with these things.

That would be neat, but not what I'm trying to do. 1. I'd like something turn-key. I don't want a project. 2. I'd hate to tear up a "vintage" tooling around the woods.

If you lived in my part of Florida you'd be SET! It's a buyers market around here so many stores that sell golf carts exclusively..

I'm surprised at the options her in IN, but I'm finding that 75% of them are electric and 10% are junk, and 10% want unrealistic money for them. So, that leaves me with 5% of the population to work with. I'm sure that in FL, the availability is ten-fold.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
We've got a newer EZ-GO electric cart at our beach house, seems like the batteries don't last very long at all, and it's a smaller community. I would definitely recommend a gas powered cart.

Users who are viewing this thread