Let's Play "Name That Sound" [Video]

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Sounds like there is a miss on a cylinder. With the car running pull 1 coil at a time and listen to hear if its clicking/sparking. You dont need to pull it all the way out, just off the top of the plug. it will shock the crap out of you if you put it near your hand.

vipergts281

Established Member
Sounds like there is a miss on a cylinder. With the car running pull 1 coil at a time and listen to hear if its clicking/sparking. You dont need to pull it all the way out, just off the top of the plug. it will shock the crap out of you if you put it near your hand.

I just installed a new ignition coil where the loose spark plug was. Car still sounded the same. So I checked every ignition coil by doing the above...pulling them out one by one an listening for the clicking. They are all working. So it's not them.

Spark plugs are due for a change, so maybe that could be the cause??

Also, the boot on the passenger side, closest to firewall, had a little bit of gunk on it near the top. Looked to be a little bit of oil. That can't be good. Same thing with the boot next to it, where the plug was loose.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I just installed a new ignition coil where the loose spark plug was. Car still sounded the same. So I checked every ignition coil by doing the above...pulling them out one by one an listening for the clicking. They are all working. So it's not them.

Spark plugs are due for a change, so maybe that could be the cause??

Also, the boot on the passenger side, closest to firewall, had a little bit of gunk on it near the top. Looked to be a little bit of oil. That can't be good. Same thing with the boot next to it, where the plug was loose.

oil is from valve cover,,but why only 1 coil?

these coils will get weak but pass all test,,

and never a code,,,

i cheated,found a member with set of 8 for testing before going to tousley

vipergts281

Established Member
oil is from valve cover,,but why only 1 coil?
these coils will get weak but pass all test,,
and never a code,,,
i cheated,found a member with set of 8 for testing before going to tousley
I assume the oil has something to do with the plugs blowing out at one time?? I only say this because the driver side, which has never had a plug blow out, is spotless.

So it could still be the coils you're saying? Hmm, is there a way to test the coil without spending the $200+ on new ones (and assuming I don't get lucky like you did)?

What kind of spark plugs are you using ? NGK TR6?
Yup, TR6.

I drove a good 30 miles today. Car is definitely missing. If one of the coils IS the problem, it would be a HUGE coincidence that one of them went bad at the same time as the plug coming loose. Unless, they aren't plugged in 100%...I say this because 2 of the ignition wire clips going into the coil are taped to hold them together. They didn't want to click into place at one point, so I taped them. Perhaps they aren't seated perfectly. I doubt that's it, but worth looking into again.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the cylinder where the plug was loose. Maybe the plug is bad or something to do with the coil. Again, it would be too big of a coincidence for it to be another cylinder. And it would only make sense that a problem would be there instead of 1 of the other 7 spots.

If one (or more) plug's gap is different than the rest, would that cause the car to behave the way it is?

Regardless, it's running kind of like when a plug is out or coil unplugged, but a little smoother than that. When one cylinder isn't firing, in my experience, it is rough and very noticeable. Right now at idle, this is subtle and a regular person (i.e. non car person) wouldn't even be able to tell something was up. When accelerating, sometimes it's a little more noticeable. When driveway faster, say on the highway, you don't even really notice it.

Thanks again to everyone for trying to help. I appreciate it. :beer:

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
I just pulled the spark plug. It had the correct gap.

Pulled the plug next to it to see something, was a pita to get out. When I got it out I saw why. The insert came with it. Let's hope it stays in the car now. :cuss:

Car is still not running 100%. Sounds the same as it did before I pulled the plug. So not sure what it is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread