Let's Play "Name That Sound" [Video]

vipergts281

Established Member
Exhaust Leak? Something Else? [Video]

UPDATE in post #16.

Noticed last night my car was making a different sound. Kind of sounds like an exhaust leak.

Drove it around the block and it is definitely not driving right. Struggles/sputters at lower RPM's...like when moving from a stop.

Here is a video...
[youtube_browser]Ke4pmr8BzNA[/youtube_browser]

Definitely seems to be coming from the passenger side. I've had numerous spark plugs pop, which sound like an exhaust leak at first. But they just go, there is no sputtering before hand.

Any ideas?

Keep in mind the mileage, over 169,000.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
Great.

So what does that mean exactly? Engine has to be pulled and new rods?

What kind of money am I looking at, ballpark? Maybe cheaper to put in another used engine?

I assume driving it is a no-no, lead to more damage??

Last edited:

Mxfrench

Established Member
Great.

What kind of money am I looking at, ballpark? Maybe cheaper to out in another used engine?

I assume driving it is a no-no, lead to more damage??

If a rod:
A). Find other mode of trans
B).Why a USED engine in a TERM?
C). Sell it to a member here
D). Rods=connecting rods that means motor is coming out and you are going to have a hell of a bill. You drive it more and a rod may defect to USSR via the block wall. Salvage what you can by NOT DRIVIE IT.
It would help for you to say what you were doing when this started and back ground on the car and motor.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Great.

What kind of money am I looking at, ballpark?

I assume driving it is a no-no?

if it was me and noise just started..compression test

can you get noise to change in anyway?

ive had 1 of my heads drop valve during start up..it hammered until follower fell off,,but sounded faster than yours..

not many threads on stupid stuff..like flywheel issues..tob yes.fan yes

not many have guys have 169+ miles...

do you still have stock caged lower? that was an issue on mine around that time..bushings in pulley dried out causing the tribar pins to knock on pulley.

sounded like rod knock..

here are pics of clutch fork knock/lower pulley knock

IMG_9434.jpg

IMG_9568.jpg

IMG_9561-1.jpg

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
If a rod:
A). Find other mode of trans
B).Why a USED engine in a TERM?
C). Sell it to a member here
D). Rods=connecting rods that means motor is coming out and you are going to have a hell of a bill. You drive it more and a rod may defect to USSR via the block wall. Salvage what you can by NOT DRIVIE IT.
It would help for you to say what you were doing when this started and back ground on the car and motor.

Used - to save money. Was just looking at shortblock prices, yikes.

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary when I noticed the noise. I don't race it. I haven't been in boost in weeks. I did have an oil leak a few weeks ago. I kept checking it and adding oil until I could fix it. Maybe it got to low at some point and caused excess heat??

C) Sell what to a member here?

vipergts281

Established Member
if it was me and noise just started..compression test

can you get noise to change in anyway?

ive had 1 of my heads drop valve during start up..it hammered until follower fell off,,but sounded faster than yours..

not many threads on stupid stuff..like flywheel issues..tob yes.fan yes

not many have guys have 169+ miles...

do you still have stock caged lower? that was an issue on mine around that time..bushings in pulley dried out causing the tribar pins to knock on pulley.

sounded like rod knock..

Noise doesn't change, if anything it just seems to get a little faster when the rpms go up.

Yes, still stock lower. Only mods are 2.8 upper, intake, catback, shifter, and tune.

I was wondering if it may be a trans issue. Sounds like it could be coming from that area. Then again, hard to tell since it's close enough to engine.

Is it a bad idea to drive it up on ramps so I can crawl under it and look around? Would just the minute or so it will be running to get it up on ramps be a bad idea? I don't have a jack.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
Btw, I used a stethoscope. Touched it on the bolts that hold the valve cover on and various other places. The sound didn't get louder when I was listening.

I would think a rod knock would be very noticeable in the stethoscope, correct?

Blueline

Established Member
Do a compression test and leakdown test. You can also pull an injector plug while its idling, one at a time and see if the sound changes. Also a bor o scope will help too. GL!

vipergts281

Established Member
Do a compression test and leakdown test. You can also pull an injector plug while its idling, one at a time and see if the sound changes. Also a bor o scope will help too. GL!
I was just reading about that, about pulling an injector plug one at a time.

Thanks to everyone who's posted. :beer:

Cobra03SC

Established Member
I just had mine making a similar noise. Thought it was the trans also and it turned out to be a bad rod bearing. If you truely think its the trans start by taking it off and then running the car to see if it was gone. After that its going to be a expensive lengthy process of digging into the shortblock to find the bad rod/bearing.

Mystic03

Established Member
doesnt sound like a rod knock you have stock h on it too so somthin def isnt right if its that loud

vipergts281

Established Member
Update

So it turns out it was a loose spark plug. The same plug that blew back in late December. This fn car and blown spark plugs!! :fm: I've had 4 blow and this one was about to.

BUT, the car still isn't running 100%. I drove it around the block. It is driving better than before, obviously, but I can still feel it struggling. It's very subtle, but I can feel it.

Does the computer (or something else) need a little time to get things running again properly?

Here is another video. This was after driving it around the block. Ticking is gone. You can kind of hear the idle not being 100% consistent. And the smoke that comes out of the exhaust...can't tell if it's from condensation buildup or something else.

[youtube_browser]vk9FnII1cG4[/youtube_browser]

vipergts281

Established Member
have you ever done coils
Most of them are stock. When I blew plugs I replaced the one where the plug blew.

However, when I blew the one in December (the same one that was loose now), I just bought a new boot. Now that I think about it, the car ran a little rough after fixing the blown plug in December. Turns out the wire wasn't plugged in 100% to the coil. Essentially the same as a bad coil?? :shrug:

I'll buy one as soon as I can and replace it and see what happens.

Mystic03

Established Member
whats the smoke smell like...consindation only lasts for about 10min max then goes away unless its really cold out

vipergts281

Established Member
whats the smoke smell like...consindation only lasts for about 10min max then goes away unless its really cold out

I didn't smell it. The car wasn't running for 10 minutes at the point when I took the video. Maybe 5 tops.

I'll be away from the car until late Monday night. So I won't be able to look at anything again until then.

Users who are viewing this thread