Let's hear your cams!

dlaude

Established Member
I'm thinking about getting some cams. Is there a preferred choice? What gives the biggest power gain? Which one sounds the "lopiest"? If you have videos post them up here please, I'd love to see them! Also say what kind of power they added and the kind of cams. Thanks.

EDIT: probably help if you knew my mods to aid in the suggested 'aggression' of the cams for me to look at. JLT CAI, prochamber, stingers, 2.76, an overkill fuel system, and tune for E85.

Last edited:

dlaude

Established Member
GodStang posted a few up in other threads that I found, so to save him from posting again, I'll post his. NOTE - THIS IS NOT MY CAR, IT IS GODSTANG'S!

03 Cobra walk around.
302VT Stroker, 2.2L KB, Cam - Car Videos on StreetFire

[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/walk-around-tick-2_151576.htm"]Walk around Tick 2 - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]

[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/lifter-tick-1_151572.htm"]Lifter Tick 1 - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]

[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2003-kb-cobra-on-the-dyno_111720.htm"]2003 KB Cobra on the Dyno - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUJRtI5VVgw"]YouTube - Crower Cams.avi[/nomedia]

Last edited:

dlaude

Established Member
I hate you for making me want cams more than I did this morning :cuss:

haha, yeah, and I'm not even sorry! haha. Yeah I'm in a huge debate with myself on whether to go TS or cams for my next "big" mod. I mean the reason I went E85 was for the TS, but at ~500hp right now, adding cams would satiate me long enough until I could then do the TS. Sigh, decisions decisions. Good thing I have plenty of time to think about it haha.

Dang, that's weird, I thought there were others besides GodStang who had cams...or at least an input on them!

dlaude

Established Member
I wonder if there could be a very compelling underlying reason for that?:dw:

Yes, I wonder that, too. Hence the post. I am trying to learn about them, which is why I asked for videos and information. The search yielded almost no results, and the ones that it did turn up, I already read. Is there an underlying message to your post? It seems....directed....have I offended you or something? I apologize if I did, though I'm totally unaware of when and how I would have.....

dlaude

Established Member
value<cost

For you, ok. Value is relative. For example, I paid a little more for the exhaust I have because it sounds better to me than had I just put the best flowing exhaust on. I also paid a little extra to get a cold air intake that I preferred, aesthetically. Furthermore, I chose the option to have it painted, which IIRC, cost me $50. Did those costs add horsepower? No. But did they add value? To me, they did.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
when he is talking about value most of us talk about RWHP per dollar...cams are going to cost almost 2k just for the install....not even materials...so you are looking at between 20-35rwhp for 4k-5k

dlaude

Established Member
when he is talking about value most of us talk about RWHP per dollar...cams are going to cost almost 2k just for the install....not even materials...so you are looking at between 20-35rwhp for 4k-5k

Ok, so for him value = hp/$. Got it. And, generally speaking, many people agree to that.

I didn't realize it took so long to install cams (assuming you mean install + degree). Many shops are ~$80/hour for labor, so that's a VERY long time (close to 25 hours to be exact)! My buddy installed cams on his gt himself, I think he did it in the span of a couple days, working on and off with him and a buddy or two. I'm not sure if/how he degreed them though. I don't trust myself to install my own cams, at least not with my current knowledge levels.

I also did not realize it was only 20-35hp. I thought it was more in the ~50hp range. But we're only talking about a 15hp difference there, and you're absolutely right, the hp/$ margin is absoultely abysmal haha.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Yes, I wonder that, too. Hence the post. I am trying to learn about them, which is why I asked for videos and information. The search yielded almost no results, and the ones that it did turn up, I already read. Is there an underlying message to your post? It seems....directed....have I offended you or something? I apologize if I did, though I'm totally unaware of when and how I would have.....

Offended? No. Somewhat confused by your motivation? Yes.

IMHO the cams will result in delegable horsepower, but possibly a wonderful lopey idle, which I guess is a highly desired thing and adds significant value, for you.:shrug:

A twin screw you can install yourself and will produce a significant power increase, that is so large, it can ultimately make the cams option look pretty silly in comparison.

How you could even consider cams OVER a twin screw, I just do not understand.

dlaude

Established Member
How you could even consider cams OVER a twin screw, I just do not understand.

I'm trying to learn about cams and their value. What if I know someone giving away their cams? What if I know a guy who will install and degree them for free? What if I got a gift certificate to a website that only sells cams? Why spend the money on a TS if any of these are true? They are not, but what does it matter to you? To each their own and each is to modify their own car as they please, right? Heck I paid ~$2,000 for a fuel system capable of up to 1,500hp (IIRC) AND $300 more for 80lb injectors. All so I can run an E85 tune. And look at how "stock" my car is! That much money, and the difference is ~40hp. Is that good value? To some, no. To me, yes, that's why I did it. Do I need to justify why I did it? Absolutely not. You're a very good moderator, Jimmy, as I've read MANY MANY of your posts, and that's why your opinionated and vague initial reply to my question had me scratching my head. I started this thread to learn about cams, as there really isn't much info on them that I've found so far. Did you modify your car exactly the way I would? Doubtful. Did I modify mine exactly the way you would? Doubtful. I started this thread so I can learn facts. You will very rarely find me asking for opinions on message boards. The only opinion that I care about for my car is my own. Will I? Perhaps. Am I here? It is clear that I am not. I can ramble on and on, but I feel I've wasted enough of all readers' time, and I'm sorry about that. :beer:

Anywho, back on topic. Differences in brand? Comp and crower seem to be the main brands for our engines. Anyone have experiences with both for comparison? Am I right in saying the higher the "stage", the more aggressive they are? I'm thinking that with minimal modifications, stage 2 or stage 3 would be suggested, correct?

Last edited:

evil 03

THE 700 CLUB
Established Member
heres my stage 3 comp cams

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvQFtzLUN74"]YouTube - 03 cobra cammed[/nomedia]

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
haha, yeah, and I'm not even sorry! haha. Yeah I'm in a huge debate with myself on whether to go TS or cams for my next "big" mod. I mean the reason I went E85 was for the TS, but at ~500hp right now, adding cams would satiate me long enough until I could then do the TS. Sigh, decisions decisions. Good thing I have plenty of time to think about it haha.

Dang, that's weird, I thought there were others besides GodStang who had cams...or at least an input on them!

There are literally hundreds maybe thousands of videos of cammed cobra on youtube or streetfire, just type in stage 1 2 or 3 comp or crower cams cobra, you'll find a shit ton of vids.

Also i cant believe you would put cams or a twin screw in the same question, you either want to go really really fast, so fast that you might possibly shit yourself while driving.... or you want a little more umphhh (maybe 15-40 HP)... and a great lope. Its an easy choice, and if you want me to make the decision for you, Kenne bell, screams like a banshee and gives you 150 RWHP, best of both worlds, hmmm...

And if you want to learn about cams, go learn, there are plenty of tech vids of the benefits and disadvantages of cams, how they work etc. It would be a long post to break down cams and the differences, plus im pretty sure there is already another post about that, just keep searching and keep your search vague enough that you can look around.

Good luck

In conclusion, GO TWIN SCREW, what are you thinking?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScreamingSVT

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kQbxOYEWIM"]YouTube - 2003 cobra crower stage 4 cams[/nomedia]

my first start with my stage 4 crowers, still gotta be tuned

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm trying to learn about cams and their value. What if I know someone giving away their cams? What if I know a guy who will install and degree them for free? What if I got a gift certificate to a website that only sells cams? Why spend the money on a TS if any of these are true? They are not, but what does it matter to you? To each their own and each is to modify their own car as they please, right? Heck I paid ~$2,000 for a fuel system capable of up to 1,500hp (IIRC) AND $300 more for 80lb injectors. All so I can run an E85 tune. And look at how "stock" my car is! That much money, and the difference is ~40hp. Is that good value? To some, no. To me, yes, that's why I did it. Do I need to justify why I did it? Absolutely not. You're a very good moderator, Jimmy, as I've read MANY MANY of your posts, and that's why your opinionated and vague initial reply to my question had me scratching my head. I started this thread to learn about cams, as there really isn't much info on them that I've found so far. Did you modify your car exactly the way I would? Doubtful. Did I modify mine exactly the way you would? Doubtful. I started this thread so I can learn facts. You will very rarely find me asking for opinions on message boards. The only opinion that I care about for my car is my own. Will I? Perhaps. Am I here? It is clear that I am not. I can ramble on and on, but I feel I've wasted enough of all readers' time, and I'm sorry about that. :beer:

Anywho, back on topic. Differences in brand? Comp and crower seem to be the main brands for our engines. Anyone have experiences with both for comparison? Am I right in saying the higher the "stage", the more aggressive they are? I'm thinking that with minimal modifications, stage 2 or stage 3 would be suggested, correct?

I like durability and support mods that don't add any power too, I'm a huge fan of those... can't argue with you there.

I'm just critical of the lope factor that so many guys love, and I am kind of the odd man out on this issue.

Being that I do already have a twin screw, if I ever did have the engine out for any reason, I would do cams TOO, but just used 98 intakes and I would learn to degree them myself(I have done push rod engines but not one of these 4.6s yet) and also transfer everything over to a nice used Aluminum block.
But that's just me.:-D

I believe the Crower stage twos have rougher idle than the stage threes if I remember correctly.

Watch the base circle dimensions VERY carefully when buying cams. Check this before installing them, and if they have run out issues, send them back for ones that don't have run out issues.:beer:
A great tech thread on modfords.
Crower Cams

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Crower Stage 3s.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFRdzwEj_Vw"]YouTube - Another video of tha Monsta[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqWcdDNnJe4&feature=related"]YouTube - The Monster[/nomedia]

svtcobratenthan

Established Member
I just put stage 3 crowers on mine. All i have is a stock eaton with a 2.8 on top and a 4lb on the bottem.the cams back up the eaton. So thier kind of worthless unless u have a big blower.

Users who are viewing this thread