lets go whipple

ammizabad

Established Member
I am looking at getting the 3.4 whipple for my 03 and was wondering whats the highest psi i can run safely on 93 oct and what upper and lower pulley set up works best:rolling:

Venimus03

Established Member
i would say no more then like 20 and that might be pushing it. Unless your gonna crank that bad boy up to like 23lbs 25 lbs with some race gas I would just save the money and get a 2.3....

454LSX

Established Member
Interesting what is the real difference? The reason I ask is there is 3.4 used for sale cheaper than it would cost me for a 2.3 new...is there a disadvantage to the 3.4 other than the cost? Could you run it at 17-18 for a safe (relative) powerful car?

whipplesnake

Established Member
Interesting what is the real difference? The reason I ask is there is 3.4 used for sale cheaper than it would cost me for a 2.3 new...is there a disadvantage to the 3.4 other than the cost? Could you run it at 17-18 for a safe (relative) powerful car?

From what I've seen the 2.3 is better under 20lbs.

2Marauders

FordNut was already taken
Established Member
I'm running 16-17 on my 3.4L. Probably would be closer to 19-20 if it was closer to stock displacement, cams, porting, exhaust... 3.5" upper pulley, 6.55" underdrive lower. Thinking about going with the standard size lower.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Personally I wouldn't run 20 pounds on 93, but its your car. I would also get the 3.4, I sure will be a blast when you build the bottom half.

FstRyde03

10th Anniv. Convertible
Established Member
Seems like most people around here run the 2.3 I guess it all depends on what you plan to do with your car int he future and your wallet.

chrisJ

Established Member
Im kinda in the same perdicament you are. 3.4 or 2.3 whipple? Im pretty sure anything over 20psi on the 3.4, your gonna need some beefing up for your internals. If you plan on building your engine to handle the 650+ HP for the 3.4 whipple then yes get the big blower. But if you only expect to have your car for a DD or even just a weekend driver, then the 2.3 is well enough to suit your needs.

I was told that one of the weak parts of the shortblock on these cars especially with the big 3.4, is the piston rings under high boost/HP, that they will, over time under high heat expansion, pinch the tops of the piston and may eventually pop the tops off of the pistons. That may be only in extreme cases but who knows?

gbc

04 cobra
Established Member
i run 2.3 whipple at 15 pounds, and have been considering smaller pulleys...its plenty for me/for the street.....but i never run less than 94 octane & if i can't find that - use boost juice.
in fact for road trip i've planned for next spring, considering a meth kit as 94 is getting scarce.
so question i have will 93 octane do the job?

Users who are viewing this thread