LEOs - What side arm do you rely on everyday?

TEGEN

Established Member
My wife & I just took a class this weekend from a sheriff that is the trainer for the local sheriffs department in proper firearm use & safety. Great class - two hours in the classroom & three hours at the range.

Now it's time to buy a gun (or several!) mostly for home defense, that will be carried very occasionally if I'm in the mountains or if I have to go to a shady part of town for some reason (also applied for my CCW).

My question is, what pistol/pistols do you LEOs rely on everyday? I know that your life may depend on it, so you're probably pretty picky about your side arm / backup of choice.

The two I'm considering so far are a quality model 1911 (S&W, Colt, Kimber ect) and a friend has a Springfield XD-M .45 he'd sell me thats in new condition, but I want some opinions from the guys that rely on their piece every day!

Thanks for any feedback! :beer:

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Don't take the following the "wrong way," but just keep it in mind:

Sidearm choice is dictated by department policy, which is more often than not created by administrative "types." So, just because one department carries brand XYZ, don't rely on that one particular brand (or two, or three) and limit yourself to what you can carry. You may hear that brand XYZ or ABC are the "best."

The best advice I can offer is to try before you buy. Rent and shoot different makes/models if a local range offers the ability to do so (or shoot with friends who are willing to let you "demo" their pistols). Feel how each pistol fits your hands (is it comfortable?) and your budget, as well.

BTW - If you can carry (legally, of course LOL), carry everwhere you can - "bad stuff" isn't limited to the "shady" parts of town only...

YMMV

TEGEN

Established Member

Sidearm choice is dictated by department policy, which is more often than not created by administrative "types." So, just because one department carries brand XYZ, don't rely on that one particular brand (or two, or three) and limit yourself to what you can carry. You may hear that brand XYZ or ABC are the "best."

The best advice I can offer is to try before you buy. Rent and shoot different makes/models if a local range offers the ability to do so (or shoot with friends who are willing to let you "demo" their pistols). Feel how each pistol fits your hands (is it comfortable?) and your budget, as well.

BTW - If you can carry (legally, of course LOL), carry everwhere you can - "bad stuff" isn't limited to the "shady" parts of town only...

YMMV

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I wasn't aware that an officers weapon of choice was dictated by the department.

I'm definately going to try out several more guns before I decide on one - so far I've been able to try out a Taurus 1911, S&W 1911, Glock, XD-M and a few revolvers. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of exactly what model I was shooting as I just learned that there are often several variations of the "same" gun. I'm definately getting a feel for what I like & don't like.

Probably some good advice on carrying as often as possible. When I get a bit more comfortable carrying a pistol on my person & educate myself further on the laws in my state (Washington), I'm sure I'll be carrying more & more.

carnut726 - thanks for posting - I'll definately check out the H&K compacts.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
im not sure if this is for leo's only, I am one just not listed as one here. Ill answer it anyway though, if im in the wrong just take it down.

we are issued Glocks. I carry a 22 but the slightly smaller 23 would probably suit better for personal defense. I trust glock anyway though regardless of whether my department does.

the H&K is a great gun too, just a little expensive.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
...Thanks for taking the time to respond - I wasn't aware that an officers weapon of choice was dictated by the department...

No problem. Just to clarify my earlier statement a little more; you'll find that most departments will mandate which type of pistol their officers shall carry.

There may be some room for pistol brand or model selection at certain departments. Other departments may have a much more "liberal" firearms policy and allow their officers to carry whatever they want (not seen too often these days, at least here in MI).

FWIW - I've had nothing but good experiences using a Glock 17 and a Sig P229 as duty weapons in my career.

G'luck in your search.

jshen

Established Member

YMMV

Good post! The best firearm to buy is the one you can feel comfortable in shooting.

I carry, Glock 29, 10mm, and Kahr PM40, because I like the power and I hit what I point at.

musclemustang65

NA again
Established Member
My department issues sig sauer .45s and they blow. Only holds 8 rounds with one chambered and after firearm week my trigger finger was cracked from the first tough trigger pulls. I carry a glock 27 (Subcompact .40) for a backup and off duty. I love it but its still too big to carry in a pocket of lower back which is what is ideal to me.

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
I carry a S&W 1911 with a Streamlight TLR-1 light attachment...I love this gun. I also carry a Kel-tec .380 on me, at a undisclosed location.

cemeflybyu

Press hard, 5 copies...
Established Member
My duty gun is a Glock 22. I carry in off duty alot as well. I also have a Glock 23 and a Sig P245. The Sig was a gift from dad and its a spur of the moment thing if I carry it. It has an incredibly light trigger pull. If you have problems with anticipation it is a good handgun b/c it is so easy to deploy and fire if need be.

With carrying my glock 22 everyday for work I find its best to stick with whats MOST familiar to your hand...its all about the muscle memory.

Users who are viewing this thread