LED-LCDs

PureStang

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I can only go as large as 42" because the tv cabinet i put this in only allows up to a 42". Otherwise, I would be getting a nice 55-60" plasma.

I have decided to delay the purchase of the TV a couple of months to 1)research a little bit more, and 2)I am moving back home from school this summer so it is one less thing I have to worry about moving and breaking.

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
Get a Panasonic plasma.they come in 42/46/50. 50inch screen has the most models available.Its only 2 inches wider on each side.So not much bigger frame.

If your wanting a LED.The LGs are nice for the money.There not as quality compared to a Samsung.

Although models are changing right now.HHGregg just clearanced out the 5500 which is above the 5400 you were looking at.5500 has local dimming.They were clearancing at 849.99

Blown 89

Established Member
Google your TV model number and you will find that lots of people actually post their settings after a professional calibration. Cnet has them sometimes as well. Will save you some $$$
Yup, I've already done that and the difference was night and day. I'm simply pointing out what you could potentially do with the extra $800 you're saving over an LED. Getting a good surround sound setup is another option. It's shocking how many thousands of dollars you can save buying on Craislist because everyone's wives are making them get those retarded cube speakers.

To the OP....if you consider a Panasonic make sure to get the higher models, they have better anti-glare setups.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
saw smart led or something the other day at Sears, was very slim and the display was amazing. believe it was like $1300 or something, i was very impressed. i'lll see if i can find it

nope wasn't on Sears site...

Last edited:

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
So my Vizio 42 in LCD took a crap on my this past week, and im resorting to a Sharp 27" lcd. this cant fly, look really weird in my living room haha.

I was wondering if you guys have any insights to good 42" LED-LCD's under 1500 dollars. I was looking at best buy and they have a pretty nice LG 42" (42LE5400) for about $1200 and it had some pretty positive reviews.

Any help would be great. Thanks!!

have you looked at plasmas... if not I suggest you at least look. the new Panny's are great. I have a 58VT25 in my living room. I am a plasma guy... but I have owned LCD's... the color and blacks are better on this TV then I have ever seen. take a look at one you can get them cheap right now because the new models are coming out.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
have you looked at plasmas... if not I suggest you at least look. the new Panny's are great. I have a 58VT25 in my living room. I am a plasma guy... but I have owned LCD's... the color and blacks are better on this TV then I have ever seen. take a look at one you can get them cheap right now because the new models are coming out.

don't they burn out faster? plasmas i mean, or wear out quicker.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member

Thats a myth. many of the ones that come out now have avg lives of 80,000 hours. Which means if you watch 8 hours of TV a day, every day, it will last 27 years before its half as dim at the day you bought it. Some even last 100,000 like the new panny's. That would mean that you would get 35 years before its half as dim. I think thats pretty acceptable. I don't have any TV's that are 27 years old and the quality of them is above LCD. You also don't have ghosting and the refresh rate is way faster then LCD's. The main selling point for me is the viewing angle. You can view a plasma from any angle and it will look just as good. LCD's you have to be looking straight on for the best picture and the further you go to each direction the worse the picture gets. If you look on CNET... all of the top rated TV's are plasmas.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Thats a myth. many of the ones that come out now have avg lives of 80,000 hours. Which means if you watch 8 hours of TV a day, every day, it will last 27 years before its half as dim at the day you bought it. Some even last 100,000 like the new panny's. That would mean that you would get 35 years before its half as dim. I think thats pretty acceptable. I don't have any TV's that are 27 years old and the quality of them is above LCD. You also don't have ghosting and the refresh rate is way faster then LCD's. The main selling point for me is the viewing angle. You can view a plasma from any angle and it will look just as good. LCD's you have to be looking straight on for the best picture and the further you go to each direction the worse the picture gets. If you look on CNET... all of the top rated TV's are plasmas.

oh cool, my bro had one and his burned out pretty fast, idk much about them i have an LCD

ryans01

Vacation in Iraq
Established Member
I got my LG 55" 3D led-lcd for with 4 pairs of 3d glasses for 1450 from amazon. With free shipping. I would say go look in best buy and then order from amazon.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
oh cool, my bro had one and his burned out pretty fast, idk much about them i have an LCD

Maybe he burned an image into his screen? in the first 200 hours of plasma's life you shouldn't have anything with black bars on the screen or tickers like ESPN for extended periods of time. Otherwise you can get image retention which is ghost like image on the screen. Older plasmas were much more suseptable to this then newer ones where it really isn't a problem anymore. However I still don't do black bars or tickers on new plasmas in the first 200 hours.

firebird1999us

Established Member

I work in a room full of 50-60" plasma screens that have basically been on for the last 4 years...I've not seen any of them replaced. The entire time I've worked in TV I've probably only seen 3-4 go bad and that's because they were turned on for 5 years solid:shrug:

Blown 89

Established Member
I got my LG 55" 3D led-lcd for with 4 pairs of 3d glasses for 1450 from amazon. With free shipping. I would say go look in best buy and then order from amazon.
+1 about buying from Amazon. Check out the Amazon Warehouse...they sell open box and refurbs. Mine was an open box/retun and it hadn't even been turned on. Free freight, no tax, low price = win.

Users who are viewing this thread