Leaving Diablosport

mrmustangman357

Established Member
Well, suffice it to say, I am selling off my Diablosport Predator on my 99 cobra. I got sick of dealing with lackluster features and technical support. It seems they always want to promise something (like live dataviewing and logging) but never deliver it. Always somethign they are on the verge of fixing, which never does get fixed. . .

So now I am looking at a different tuner. I heard SCT is pretty hot on these cars, X2 or X3? Im looking for a tuner that has a pretty good canned tune, not looking to spring for dyno time on a custom tune; given that my combo is very typical (intake, exhaust, and gears) and mild. Any thoughts on a tuner package?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'm gonna have Rick from Amazon e-mail me one of his custom tunes using the Diablosport software, it's an easy way to have a Stout Tune and save $$$ over Custom Dyno Time! Plus you get the knowledge of a guy how tweaks many parameters the average tuner isn't familiar with.. I'd seriously consider this route! And you CAN datalog with the Predator, I do it on the Dyno and street! And what features are you talking about that makes it inferior to and SCT? I know more Tuners use the Super chips software that's why more peeps by their handhelds!

Last edited:

mrmustangman357

Established Member
I'm gonna have Rick from Amazon e-mail me one of his custom tunes using the Diablosport software, it's an easy way to have a Stout Tune and save $$$ over Custom Dyno Time! Plus you get the knowledge of a guy how tweaks many parameters the average tuner isn't familiar with.. I'd seriously consider this route! And you CAN datalog with the Predator, I do it on the Dyno and street! And what features are you talking about that makes it inferior to and SCT? I know more Tuners use the Super chips software that's why more peeps by their handhelds!

how can you comment on an amazon tune when you didn't even get one yet?

The predator can only log 3-4 parameters at a time to download to the pc, any more and the refresh rate goes to hell (like refreshes once every 3 seconds), plus you can't view it in real time on a laptop. I just got sick of working against the tuner, so now I'm looking for another tuner that has good preloaded tunes for our cars. Come on, how many 4v motors with an intake, exhaust, and gears need to be strapped to a dyno for a custom tune?

yeller1

Established Member
Well, I can comment on the amazon tune. Not with the preditor but with sct. My car ran
very nice before and after I put on the exhaust. I had Rick send me a tune with the sct
and my car runs even better. No more codes, and the mileage is noticably better. It just
runs flawless. Not needing anything else at the moment, but If I decide to up the anti, I will definately be contacting Rick at amazon.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
how can you comment on an amazon tune when you didn't even get one yet?

The predator can only log 3-4 parameters at a time to download to the pc, any more and the refresh rate goes to hell (like refreshes once every 3 seconds), plus you can't view it in real time on a laptop. I just got sick of working against the tuner, so now I'm looking for another tuner that has good preloaded tunes for our cars. Come on, how many 4v motors with an intake, exhaust, and gears need to be strapped to a dyno for a custom tune?

Granted I don't have the Tune Yet but I think it's safe to say Amazon's reputation on this site and others is Impeccable and Ricks Tunes on the Cobras are Impressive to say the least, you can go on their site and read the testomonials of his happy customers. And I said you can AVOID a Custom Tune by going the Amazon route.. It's your car to tweak as you like just giving an opinion. Do you wanna spend $400 on an SCT and use an inferior canned tune or pay $125 for a better one that you can import with your Predator? I know the route I'd go!

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Well, suffice it to say, I am selling off my Diablosport Predator on my 99 cobra. I got sick of dealing with lackluster features and technical support. It seems they always want to promise something (like live dataviewing and logging) but never deliver it. Always somethign they are on the verge of fixing, which never does get fixed. . .

So now I am looking at a different tuner. I heard SCT is pretty hot on these cars, X2 or X3? Im looking for a tuner that has a pretty good canned tune, not looking to spring for dyno time on a custom tune; given that my combo is very typical (intake, exhaust, and gears) and mild. Any thoughts on a tuner package?

Are you in Rockford, Illinois or some other Rockford? If IL, why not just get Bob Kurgan to tune it? Or any one of the other fairly reputable tuners within 100 miles of there?

mrmustangman357

Established Member
I live in Rockford, IL normally, at college now.

I have talked to Bob before when he did a buddy's car. He is good but the cost for a tune starts at $300 + the cost of the unit, without the car seeing rollers. I've been told by many satisfied customers that he is amazing at getting these cars to run right, so when I move back there for summer I may talk with him a little more. However, I doubt for a mild bolt-on car that I could realize the gains from a custom tune over the preloaded tune from DS or SCT, after all the car wouldn't be on the rollers and whats the diff between an sct tech and a tuner guessing at the same parameters?

In reality guys, the reason I'm not using the Predator anymore is really because I got sick that it never had the functionality as promised. The tune was fine, but data-logging was weak and they dropped the emissions adjustments for rear O2 sensors (which i dont have cats). The tune was fine and gave me good gains but that's not the only aspect to the tuner I value.

Im sorry if I gave you the wrong impression that I sold off the tuner because I thought the tune files were weak. If that were the case, it would be pretty straightforward to spend a little extra at these tuner shops.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'm just saying YES there are Numerous guys that saw Big HP gains over a canned tune from one of Amazon's with just a few bolt ons, I read of a few that went from the 280 range to 3 teens, that's what I'm looking for. The diablo 93 octane tune is actually Weak, when I did Dyno runs the Hp peak was lower than the stock Ford Flash, Torque was up about 10 ft lbs though and the Predator had a Nice flat A/F line but the HP numbers just weren't there even with tweaking the fuel and spark advance!
Knowledeable people know it takes many more parameters than these two to make power! I bought my Predator used unmarried for $150 on Ebay and will be used as an importer of Custom Tunes, code reader, and datalogger (you can still monitor plenty of things to view on the handheld) It's worth it to me!

Users who are viewing this thread