Learning a New Language

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
Has anyone on here had any luck learning a different language? I really want and need to learn Spanish and I'm just wondering the best way to go about it. I took two years of high school Spanish, which were basically pointless. And this past year I took two semesters of college elementary Spanish which were actually very good. I'm just wondering what I should do now, now that I'm not going to be taking Spanish academically. Has anyone tried Rossetta Stone or something of that nature? Thanks for any help!

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Get some spanish speaking friends. You will catch on pretty quick.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have tried to learn Japanese from the Rosetta Stone CDs that I borrowed from a friend.

But I guess I am just dumb as a post when it comes to languages.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
I have tried to learn Japanese from the Rosetta Stone CDs that I borrowed from a friend.

But I guess I am just dumb as a post when it comes to languages.

Haha! It's freaking hard man.. I just have to try to stay determined. I'm just trying to figure out the next step. I'm going to see if I can find Rosetta Stone for free online somewhere and try that out.

jacker1991

Established Member
Get some spanish speaking friends. You will catch on pretty quick.

+1

Do you understand a bit of Spanish or nothing at all? Are you able to read something in Spanish and kind of understand what you are reading? If so, try getting some books. TV helps a lot too, even though they speak really fast most of them time :(. Some classes will help a lot too. Buena suerte.

Mike out! :coolman:

jacker1991

Established Member
Last edited:

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Join the military and go to DLI...rosetta stone is good, but it's all really basic stuff IMO. Not enough to get you proficient level. But you'll be able to order stuff at restaurants and stuff.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
Thanks for all of the help! I'm at the point where if I read something I can normally get the gist of whatever it is saying if I think it through. I'll try to pick up some books. I'm going to try to work on my vocabulary a lot and I'll check into Rosetta Stone!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Doing the Rosetta Stone course should at least get you off to a good (base) start. Then you can build on it. Does your town offer language courses at night? Check and see. My town offers language courses. I think they only charge a small fee.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
Doing the Rosetta Stone course should at least get you off to a good (base) start. Then you can build on it. Does your town offer language courses at night? Check and see. My town offers language courses. I think they only charge a small fee.

I'm sure there are. We have several big community colleges here in Houston. I'll look into that.

VictorySong

Established Member
Has anyone on here had any luck learning a different language? I really want and need to learn Spanish and I'm just wondering the best way to go about it. I took two years of high school Spanish, which were basically pointless. And this past year I took two semesters of college elementary Spanish which were actually very good. I'm just wondering what I should do now, now that I'm not going to be taking Spanish academically. Has anyone tried Rossetta Stone or something of that nature? Thanks for any help!

Just learn Gaelic and accuse anyone who doesn't speak it of disrespecting your culture and being a racist. Much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread