Learn me about spring rates suspension people

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
After my last thread about shocks, I figured I would do a bit searching about different spring rates on here, LR, and NLOC, but found no real definitive answers.

Right now I am running the FRPP shackles and springs, but as I said in my last thread, I am looking to update things. TVS was at the top of my list, but I got to thinking... I wonder how the FRPP coils compare to the hotchkis coils. Both claim a 1.5" drop. Seeing has how I have decided to not go the TVS route, and rather piece together my own setup, would it make more sense to maintain the FRPP coils and shackles and wait for some used RUSlow springs to pop up?

Long story short, can anybody accurately compare all of the options we have for front springs for our trucks (FRPP, hotchkis, RUSlow, eibach, etc)?

oilwell1415

Established Member
I did some digging this morning and found a few numbers for you. The stock rate is about 650lb/in. The "cosmetic" springs seem to be in the 700 lb/in range, and the mainstream performance rates are between 900 and 1000. RUSlow offered them everywhere from 900-1500 and even higher by special request.

For rears I haven't found anything yet.

BTW, if you want to see how much less body roll I have than stock, check out the pic at Welcome to Tim Skelton.com .

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
I did some digging this morning and found a few numbers for you. The stock rate is about 650lb/in. The "cosmetic" springs seem to be in the 700 lb/in range, and the mainstream performance rates are between 900 and 1000. RUSlow offered them everywhere from 900-1500 and even higher by special request.

For rears I haven't found anything yet.

BTW, if you want to see how much less body roll I have than stock, check out the pic at Welcome to Tim Skelton.com .

is it safe to assume that the FRPP/belltech spring is considered a performance spring or is it more of a cosmetic spring? if it is in the 900lb/in range, i will just cut 1/2 of a coil and call it a day on the front from the "lowering" aspect

oilwell1415

Established Member
Yes, but the question is are they the exact same spring as the old Belltech, or are the made by Belltech to FRPP specs? If they are the exact same spring you know what they are. If they are made to FRPP specs it's anyone's guess what they may be.

Users who are viewing this thread