Leaky Window Help!

jd123

Established Member
I know this belongs in F150 forums, but I'm not getting any replies on there, so maybe you guys can help me. My back window is leaking and I've tried sealing around the top of the black plastic piece around the window, and sealing around the third brake light. I don't know what else to do besides replace the seal around the window. It isn't a sliding back glass. Thanks.

04SVT-L

Established Member
do you know where its leaking from? i hate water leaks. i work at a dealer and they suck finding them. what i usually do is pull off all the trim peices so i can see the metal and the rubber around the window. turn on ur hose and hae somebody stand outside and spray water all over it and sit inside with a flashlight and keep a close eye on where its coming from. what year is it? i do remember them haing a recall for a leaky back window, but that was for a slider.

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
You say you tried sealing it but with what???

I have a similar problem when it rains at a certain angle.

Try black RTV sealant.

It remains plyable and is black so you won't be able to see it.

Get plenty of it in there and just run your finger between the plastic and the body.

I say about one tube should get it done.

jd123

Established Member
do you know where its leaking from? i hate water leaks. i work at a dealer and they suck finding them. what i usually do is pull off all the trim peices so i can see the metal and the rubber around the window. turn on ur hose and hae somebody stand outside and spray water all over it and sit inside with a flashlight and keep a close eye on where its coming from. what year is it? i do remember them haing a recall for a leaky back window, but that was for a slider.

It is a 2000 model and it is leaking on the passenger side from the top.

jd123

Established Member
You say you tried sealing it but with what???

I have a similar problem when it rains at a certain angle.

Try black RTV sealant.

It remains plyable and is black so you won't be able to see it.

Get plenty of it in there and just run your finger between the plastic and the body.

I say about one tube should get it done.

I used clear window sealer form Advanced Auto Parts.

voodoocustoms

Established Member
You need to pull the rear window. The window uses a urithane rope around the edge. To get the window out you need to pull the inside time out and you will see the nuts that hold the glass in. Sealing around the outside plastic or third brake light will do no good.

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
Yep pulling the window and install a new gasket. I had the same problem. But I took mine apart just to find that my back window has a crack near the slider part. I just used some Silicone and put it back in.

Now I will have to take the whole window out next year to install a roll bar in my truck...

Oh well, thats the price for going fast.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
You need to pull the rear window. The window uses a urithane rope around the edge. To get the window out you need to pull the inside time out and you will see the nuts that hold the glass in. Sealing around the outside plastic or third brake light will do no good.

i have a 2004 f-150 which i just picked up used, and last time i washed it i noticed that there is a rear window leak.

so i have been lurking on the truck forums and searching on them, and it seems that many (but not all) folks find that the leak is indeed from the third brake light seal, and resealing it fixes the problem.

i am hoping that's my problem, but if it turns out to be the glass seal then i will have to have the window pulled. i've already called around and they want about $200 for that job. that's not something i feel like trying to attempt myself

voodoocustoms

Established Member
If your 04 is the new body style, I can not speak for that one. But , on the 97-03 and 04 "heritage" body style the issue is going to be with the window seal. it realy is not that bad of a job. Took me about an hour and a half to get it done.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
go to napa and get the Butyl gasket "rope" made my 3M make sure the one you get is "round" and about 1/4in (roughtly) in diamter.
Gut your interior and pull the old window out..clean it of the old gunk. Wipe it down with lighter fluid till its perfectly clean then wipe it with alcohol, lay the new gasket out around the window edge, and when it comes together at the ends make sure there is some overlap at the end but make sure that the gasket is touching.
replace the window and you are done

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
The dealer pulled mine 4 times before they got it. Supposedly, there is a one time use gasket around a bulkhead that had to be replaced. They resealed the window, strike 1, resealed the braked light, strike 2 and ruin the light because it got too hot with all of the sealer they crammed into it. Replaced light, removed window and went deeper and replaced the said gasket. I found the leak every time going through a touchless carwash. I was told this was a common problem on the 97- 03 and heritage style 04 . Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread