Leaking Engine-Help with possible PCV issues

WOT 88

Established Member
I picked up a built 97 Cobra a few weeks back locally and I need some direction with a few issues. Perhaps someone around here is familiar with the car, but here is a quick background:

The car was built back in the early to mid 2000's and it was originally owned by a guy out of Stuart, Fl. The car was featured in a few magazines back in 04-05, and I remember reading one of the articles titled ''snake charmed''. I found the car down at a classic/antique car dealership and immediately recognized it. I tried to walk away from it, but found myself continually peeking in the windows and eventually caved and bought it.

The car itself is very clean, and well built. It currently has approximately 28k original miles on it and has a ton of mods. I wont take up too much time listing every single thing individually, but there isn't much on the car that was left untouched. T56 Conversion, built rear-end, Steeda Suspension, LT's with H Pipe and so on. Motor wise:

Forged bottom end (Built by Al Papitto)
* VT Stroker Crank
* Eagle Rods
* CP Pistons

Heads are ported B heads (Again by Boss 330 Racing)
* Ferrea Valves
* Spings
* Crane regrinds (specs unknown)

Power Adder is a Kenne Bell.

ed1d4b694614450c742a0372d68545b4.jpg

239baeaca2c87f7d8a318812387de253.jpg

0d4b217eba35a5d12ff39886b6b39787.jpg

bf0e254103bbe2c22bf538e20e133b58.jpg

8303d059672bd0422d05de85c081c5bc.jpg

The problem is this: Last week the water pump bearing took a dump and started squealing. I ordered a new Stewart EMP pump and tore into the car in the meantime.

When I was contemplating buying the car, I did spend some time poking around under the car when the seller had it on his lift. I did notice there was some oil seepage around the oil pan gasket (Car has a Canton built Ford Racing pan) but nothing that looked alarming. When I removed the radiator/fan, hoses and other items, I noticed the front timing cover also had oil/dirt caked all over it. Looking further, I noticed that the leak appeared as though it originated from the front seal and was getting slung everywhere else by the balancer and belt. I also noticed that there is seepage around the valve cover bolt seals in one or two places. Non of the leaks are terrible, I haven't noticed a single drop on the driveway or garage but its certainly making a mess of the car now that I really look at it.

Based on the leaking pan, the front seal, and the valve cover seals, I'm starting to wonder if there isn't something else going on. If it was a single area that was leaking, I wouldn't think anything of it but all off these leaks lead me to believe there is a pressure issue.

Now, I plan on running a compression test once I eventually get things back together and can properly warm the car to rule out any issues, but in the meantime, I want to get some feedback as to any other possibilities that may be the culprit with regard to the leaking seals.

I noticed that the car has an oil separator mounted to the firewall. Its a tiny little bowl with small braided line coming from the PCV valve on the drivers side valve cover. From the outlet side of the separator, the line continues over to the passenger side and re-enters into the KB inlet manifold after the TB. I also noticed there is oil seeping from the threads on the line that enters the inlet side of the separator. To me the separator seems a bit small and restrictive. Is it possible that during WOT; that the pressure being discharged from the drivers side valve cover is being restricted through the separator and allowing backpressure to escape/damage the seals?

I had a 98 bottle fed cobra and have a basic concept of how the PCV system works. But with a boosted application, I'm wondering if I'm missing something here or if I'm simply overthinking things and just need to replace the gaskets and move on?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few reference photos.

319c8ef2d0591881af1677e45cb91d0d.jpg

5d4933b312fe73ce2df50b7ae5f9365c.jpg

b348712f5b3028493d8c69b802176533.jpg

a51e3ee20705c52e82cceea977a157d7.jpg

26bfeb105862d0dfb4d71523e718f4d3.jpg

dbc0d98804aa62e028a8fd588566942d.jpg

6bca123c691d3bd9fb11e9dbfd440651.jpg

166b12dbab32b2703fb479115358dff8.jpg

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
How long had the car been sitting? I mean with only 28k on the car and everything being chrome I'm sure that's what the leaks are from. I wouldn't worry if I was you, replace the gaskets run a comp test and drive it if the numbers show up fine. As for the oil separator being restrictive I think you may be over thinking that.

Noisy Crickett

Established Member
That's a very similar story to mine. Except mine has 37K miles on it. I bought the car after it sat for 7 or 8 years, and ultimately led to the replacement of all things rubber. It's common for oil to press itself into the intake under boost, people combat this with a catch can to catch the oil and any other liquids you don't want to reburn. I did not however have to replace any engine seals except valve cover gaskets, and that was elective after I checked the valves. That car has done alot of sitting and rubber stays best when it's exercised. It gonna take you a while to get to know it, unfortunately time will be the only cure for your anxiety, and after four years, time has not cured mine yet.

WOT 88

Established Member
How long had the car been sitting? I mean with only 28k on the car and everything being chrome I'm sure that's what the leaks are from. I wouldn't worry if I was you, replace the gaskets run a comp test and drive it if the numbers show up fine. As for the oil separator being restrictive I think you may be over thinking that.

That's a very similar story to mine. Except mine has 37K miles on it. I bought the car after it sat for 7 or 8 years, and ultimately led to the replacement of all things rubber. It's common for oil to press itself into the intake under boost, people combat this with a catch can to catch the oil and any other liquids you don't want to reburn. I did not however have to replace any engine seals except valve cover gaskets, and that was elective after I checked the valves. That car has done alot of sitting and rubber stays best when it's exercised. It gonna take you a while to get to know it, unfortunately time will be the only cure for your anxiety, and after four years, time has not cured mine yet.

For sure, the car has done quite a bit of vegetating, but I'm not quite sure what was the longest period of time it sat. It is my understanding that the original owner was involved in a lot of car shows, so I assume the car saw the light of day periodically.

I was under the impression that the gentlemen the built the car was the one and only owner, but I found a registration in the glove box with a woman's name on it. I looked her up, and noted she had passed away early this year. She was fairly young and her obit said she passed away in a hospice home. I can only assume she was sickened with cancer or something similar and may have been for a long time. The place I bought the car from handles estate auctions of classic and custom cars, so I assume that's how they obtained it. How long it sat when the Lady owned it is unknown, but it may very well have been a long period of time.

I was just curious about the separator size or if anything was amiss with the PCV system that I may be overlooking.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Your PCV system is fine. I run one just like it on my KB Cobra.

Just be sure to keep it empty. It stops working when it gets less than half full.

Users who are viewing this thread